Broken IRB in Windows?

Robert Mannl

5/26/2005 9:07:00 PM

Hello!

I'm new to Ruby, and I'm really enjoying it.

I have two questions:
1) Can I search through old messages from this mailing list somehow?
2) IRB is broken for me in Windows. Two problems:
a) When lines get to long, everything gets really messy and the
cursor jumps one line up. Someone told me the readline support
is broken. Is that correct? Can I fix that somehow, e.g. by
downloading the latest IRB version or something?
b) I can't type in some characters, particularly square brackets.
It goes without saying that that is more than annoying =P I.e. it
makes IRB unusable for me :) Any ideas? I have an european
keyword. I downloaded the .*inputrc file from
http://poignantguide.net/ruby/expansion-... and put it
in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\ but
that did not help.

Thanks!

RobM
*

3 Answers

Stephan Kämper

Have a look at http://blade.nagaok...

> 2) IRB is broken for me in Windows. Two problems:
> a) When lines get to long, everything gets really messy and the
> cursor jumps one line up. Someone told me the readline support
> is broken. Is that correct? Can I fix that somehow, e.g. by
> downloading the latest IRB version or something?

Happens to me, too. As far as I'm concerned, I use fxri instead which
also comes with the whole ri stuff.

> b) I can't type in some characters, particularly square brackets.
> It goes without saying that that is more than annoying =P I.e. it
> makes IRB unusable for me :) Any ideas? I have an european
> keyword. I downloaded the .*inputrc file from
> http://poignantguide.net/ruby/expansion-... and put it
> in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\ but
> that did not help.

Do you log in as "Administrator"? (BTW, you shouldn't do that.)
Do you use the One-Click-Installer? On which flavour of Windows (98, 2K,
XP)?

Happy rubying

Stephan

Robert Mannl

Hi (Hallo) Stephan :)

> Have a look at http://blade.nagaok...

Thanks :)

>> 2) IRB is broken for me in Windows. Two problems:
>> a) When lines get to long, everything gets really messy and the
>> cursor jumps one line up. Someone told me the readline support
>> is broken. Is that correct? Can I fix that somehow, e.g. by
>> downloading the latest IRB version or something?
>

> Happens to me, too. As far as I'm concerned, I use fxri instead which
> also comes with the whole ri stuff.

Ok, fxrib works fine :)

> Do you log in as "Administrator"? (BTW, you shouldn't do that.)

Yeah

> Do you use the One-Click-Installer? On which flavour of Windows (98,
> 2K, XP)?

2000

> Happy rubying

Thank you :)

- Rob

Robert Mannl

Just for the record, I'm using IRB with --noreadline now, and that works
fine

irb --noreadline

Cheers,
Rob