[OT] Language corrections

Joe Van Dyk

5/26/2005 3:40:00 PM

Every so often, I see a post that either starts or ends with
"Apologies for the bad english", as the author of the post is
(probably) a non-native English speaker.

I always get the urge to redo the author's post, correcting the
grammatical / speling mistakes. But I never do, as I sometimes think
the author would be offended or something.

So, would you non-native English speakers appreciate have your posts
being critiqued/analyzed if you started or ended with "sorry for the
bad english"? Seems like that would be helpful for you guys.

7 Answers

Ralph \"PJPizza\" Siegler

heh, I count only 1 spelling error and 2 grammatical errors in your post. 8D

cheers!

Ralph "PJPizza"

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 12:39:34AM +0900, Joe Van Dyk wrote:
> Every so often, I see a post that either starts or ends with
> "Apologies for the bad english", as the author of the post is
> (probably) a non-native English speaker.
>
> I always get the urge to redo the author's post, correcting the
> grammatical / speling mistakes. But I never do, as I sometimes think
> the author would be offended or something.
>
> So, would you non-native English speakers appreciate have your posts
> being critiqued/analyzed if you started or ended with "sorry for the
> bad english"? Seems like that would be helpful for you guys.

Sam Roberts

> On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 12:39:34AM +0900, Joe Van Dyk wrote:
> > So, would you non-native English speakers appreciate have your posts
> > being critiqued/analyzed if you started or ended with "sorry for the
> > bad english"? Seems like that would be helpful for you guys.

Not on ruby-talk, please, its way off-topic.

Sam

Joe Van Dyk

On 5/26/05, Ralph PJPizza Siegler <pjpizza@rsiegler.org> wrote:
> heh, I count only 1 spelling error and 2 grammatical errors in your post. 8D
>

> cheers!

Speling mistakes are intentional. Grammar mistakes aren't, but I'm
not a huge grammar nazi.

> On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 12:39:34AM +0900, Joe Van Dyk wrote:
> > Every so often, I see a post that either starts or ends with
> > "Apologies for the bad english", as the author of the post is
> > (probably) a non-native English speaker.
> >
> > I always get the urge to redo the author's post, correcting the
> > grammatical / speling mistakes. But I never do, as I sometimes think
> > the author would be offended or something.
> >
> > So, would you non-native English speakers appreciate have your posts
> > being critiqued/analyzed if you started or ended with "sorry for the
> > bad english"? Seems like that would be helpful for you guys.

Ara.T.Howard

gabriele renzi

Joe Van Dyk ha scritto:

> So, would you non-native English speakers appreciate have your posts
> being critiqued/analyzed if you started or ended with "sorry for the
> bad english"? Seems like that would be helpful for you guys.

please *do* fix my errors even if I don't explicitly re-state it in any
message :)

Hal E. Fulton

Joe Van Dyk wrote:
> Every so often, I see a post that either starts or ends with
> "Apologies for the bad english", as the author of the post is
> (probably) a non-native English speaker.
>
> I always get the urge to redo the author's post, correcting the
> grammatical / speling mistakes. But I never do, as I sometimes think
> the author would be offended or something.
>
> So, would you non-native English speakers appreciate have your posts
> being critiqued/analyzed if you started or ended with "sorry for the
> bad english"? Seems like that would be helpful for you guys.

The irony, of course, is that many of the worst speakers of English
are native speakers. :)

I was once chatting with Mauricio (batsman) and pointed out that
[name omitted], who was then a frequent poster, was a native speaker
of English. And his reply was: You're kidding!!

But I'm not thinking specifically of anyone currently active in
ruby-talk.

Cheers,
Hal

benny

gabriele renzi wrote:

> Joe Van Dyk ha scritto:
>
>> So, would you non-native English speakers appreciate have your posts
>> being critiqued/analyzed if you started or ended with "sorry for the
>> bad english"? Seems like that would be helpful for you guys.
>
> please *do* fix my errors even if I don't explicitly re-state it in any
> message :)

<cry> me too </cry>

But please do not send the corrections to the list, because it's OT.

benny