new article

pat eyler

5/24/2005 6:04:00 PM

Sorry for posting about my own article, but I'm interested in feedback,
recommendations for future topics, etc. IBM has just published an
article I wrote about doing test first development with Ruby:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/os-dw-os-ru...

(sorry, you need to sign in (free account) to read it).

I've got an opportunity to do some more writing for them (how much
more depends on how well received/popular the articles are), and I'd
love to get some feedback from the community about what kinds of
Ruby things I should be sending their way.

--
thanks,
-pate

23 Answers

ES

Le 24/5/2005, "pat eyler" <pat.eyler@gmail.com> a écrit:
>Sorry for posting about my own article, but I'm interested in feedback,
>recommendations for future topics, etc. IBM has just published an
>article I wrote about doing test first development with Ruby:
>
>http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/os-dw-os-ru...
>
>(sorry, you need to sign in (free account) to read it).

I generally am opposed to registering for free content (paid stuff
is obviously different). One may visit http://www.bu... to
bypass registration.

Good article.

>I've got an opportunity to do some more writing for them (how much
>more depends on how well received/popular the articles are), and I'd
>love to get some feedback from the community about what kinds of
>Ruby things I should be sending their way.
>
>--
>thanks,
>-pate

template<typename duck>
void quack(duck& d) { d.quack(); }

Gavri Fernandez

On 5/24/05, ES <ruby-ml@magical-cat.org> wrote:

> I generally am opposed to registering for free content (paid stuff
> is obviously different).

IBM probably wouldn't mind if you pay them for reading this article.

--
Gavri
http://livejournal.com/us...

gabriele renzi

pat eyler ha scritto:
> Sorry for posting about my own article, but I'm interested in feedback,
> recommendations for future topics, etc. IBM has just published an
> article I wrote about doing test first development with Ruby:
>
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/os-dw-os-ru...
>
> (sorry, you need to sign in (free account) to read it).
>

> I've got an opportunity to do some more writing for them (how much
> more depends on how well received/popular the articles are), and I'd
> love to get some feedback from the community about what kinds of
> Ruby things I should be sending their way.

I think it is a nice article.
OTOH I'd have loved to see some information on how to test this for
network problems, since a friend of mine just had this kind of problems:
how to be sure that my code won't bomb down if the dns goes mad or the
network interface breaks or whatever? But probably this is out of the
scope of the article.

Also, why are you putting the mock data in the DATA pseudofile instead
of a real external file ?

Ara.T.Howard

pat eyler

On 5/24/05, Ara.T.Howard <Ara.T.Howard@noaa.gov> wrote:
> On Wed, 25 May 2005, ES wrote:
> > Le 24/5/2005, "pat eyler" <pat.eyler@gmail.com> a écrit:
> >> (sorry, you need to sign in (free account) to read it).
> >
> > I generally am opposed to registering for free content (paid stuff
> > is obviously different). One may visit http://www.bu... to
> > bypass registration.
>
> bless you.

seconded.

> -a
> | email :: ara [dot] t [dot] howard [at] noaa [dot] gov
> | phone :: 303.497.6469
> | My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.
> | --Tenzin Gyatso

thanks,
-pate
-------------------------

On 5/24/05, gabriele renzi <surrender_it@remove-yahoo.it> wrote:
> I think it is a nice article.
> OTOH I'd have loved to see some information on how to test this for
> network problems, since a friend of mine just had this kind of problems:
> how to be sure that my code won't bomb down if the dns goes mad or the
> network interface breaks or whatever? But probably this is out of the
> scope of the article.

Yeah, out of scope for this one, but it sounds like an interesting problem
to write about. I think mock objects are the right answer.

> Also, why are you putting the mock data in the DATA pseudofile instead
> of a real external file ?

For a small amount of data, using the DATA pseudofile was easier
(keeping everything together), but as r43 has grown, I'm getting ready to
split it out into a separate file.

--
thanks,
-pate
We are often unable to tell people what they need to know, because
they want to know something else, and would therefore only
misunderstand what we said
- the Raven (George MacDonald, Lilith)

james_b

pat eyler wrote:
> Sorry for posting about my own article, but I'm interested in feedback,
> recommendations for future topics, etc. IBM has just published an
> article I wrote about doing test first development with Ruby:
>
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/os-dw-os-ru...
>
> (sorry, you need to sign in (free account) to read it).
>

> I've got an opportunity to do some more writing for them (how much
> more depends on how well received/popular the articles are), and I'd
> love to get some feedback from the community about what kinds of
> Ruby things I should be sending their way.

I just started going through the article, but (as is my inclination) I
took a peek at the Resources page, and I'm curious why ruby-doc.org
wasn't listed.

Thanks,

James Britt

--

http://www.ru... - The Ruby Documentation Site
http://www.r... - News, Articles, and Listings for Ruby & XML

pat eyler

On 5/24/05, James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com> wrote:

> I just started going through the article, but (as is my inclination) I
> took a peek at the Resources page, and I'm curious why ruby-doc.org
> wasn't listed.

Braino on my part. I think that I make less use of ruby-doc.org
than I should. I'll try to change my personal usage habit, and will
make sure it shows up in future articles.

pat eyler ha scritto:
> On 5/24/05, gabriele renzi <surrender_it@remove-yahoo.it> wrote:
>
>>I think it is a nice article.
>>OTOH I'd have loved to see some information on how to test this for
>>network problems, since a friend of mine just had this kind of problems:
>>how to be sure that my code won't bomb down if the dns goes mad or the
>>network interface breaks or whatever? But probably this is out of the
>>scope of the article.
>

> Yeah, out of scope for this one, but it sounds like an interesting problem
> to write about. I think mock objects are the right answer.

I'm waiting for it :)

>>Also, why are you putting the mock data in the DATA pseudofile instead
>>of a real external file ?
>

> For a small amount of data, using the DATA pseudofile was easier
> (keeping everything together), but as r43 has grown, I'm getting ready to
> split it out into a separate file.

I see, thanks for the answer

Brian Schröder

On 24/05/05, pat eyler <pat.eyler@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry for posting about my own article, but I'm interested in feedback,
> recommendations for future topics, etc. IBM has just published an
> article I wrote about doing test first development with Ruby:
>
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/os-dw-os-ru...
>
> (sorry, you need to sign in (free account) to read it).
>
> I've got an opportunity to do some more writing for them (how much
> more depends on how well received/popular the articles are), and I'd
> love to get some feedback from the community about what kinds of
> Ruby things I should be sending their way.
>
> --
> thanks,
> -pate
> -------------------------
> We are often unable to tell people what they need to know, because
> they want to know something else, and would therefore only
> misunderstand what we said
> - the Raven (George MacDonald, Lilith)

Just started with your article, and I wonder why you build a
constructor that tests for object classes, why not simply call .to_s
on the argument?

class T
attr_reader :key

def initialize(key)
@key = key.to_s
end
en

[T.new(1).key, T.new("1").key, T.new([1]).key] => ["1", "1", "1"]

best regards,

Brian

--
http://ruby.brian-sch...