Stats comp.lang.ruby (last 7 days

Balwinder S Dheeman

5/23/2005 12:39:00 AM

The top 10 accounted for:
4.95% of the posters
25.18% of the articles
28.37% of the bytes

Averages:
2.77 articles / poster
2.40 kbytes / article
6.66 kbytes / poster

69 people posted for the first time this period.
They went on to post 131 articles altogether

The new posters accounted for:
34.16% of the posters
23.39% of the articles
20.73% of the bytes

Top 10 subjects for the period:

posts kbytes subject
21 53.7 IRB, Mac OS X, command-line require via "-r" and Bus Err
20 56.7 syntax sugar: treating an object like a method
19 33.6 Compiling MySQL-Ruby on Tiger
17 62.1 infinite number of singleton_classes
17 36.3 Multiple return and parallel assignement
16 46.1 join not in Enumerable
16 33.8 Help regarding def wrapper
13 39.7 Web services and Ruby
13 29.4 (newbie Q) opposite of inspect for strings
12 32.5 Ruby/TK on Mac OS X Tiger?

560 articles on 148 subjects
452 were followups (80.71%)
6 were crossposts (1.07%)

1345.3 kbytes total
headers: 622.4kb 46.27%
quoted text: 198.1kb 14.73%
original text: 462.5kb 34.38%
signatures: 21.9kb 1.62%

Averages:
3.78 articles / subjetc
2.40 kbytes / article
9.09 kbytes / subject

Postings per weekday:

Day posts
Monday 98 **********
Tuesday 108 ***********
Wednesday 127 *************
Thursday 72 *******
Friday 60 ******
Saturday 47 *****
Sunday 48 *****
(*=10 posts)

Top 10 newsreader agents used (accumulated):

posts newsreader users
352 (62.86%) ruby-talk 132 65.35%
61 (10.89%) g2 27 13.37%
33 ( 5.89%) thunderbird 14 6.93%
20 ( 3.57%) outlook 6 2.97%
18 ( 3.21%) noaa 1 0.50%
15 ( 2.68%) mozilla 4 1.98%
12 ( 2.14%) slrn 6 2.97%
10 ( 1.79%) pan 3 1.49%
7 ( 1.25%) tin 2 0.99%
6 ( 1.07%) knode 4 1.98%

19 different agents have been used (versions unaccounted).

DISCLAIMER
Please, take these stats with a dash of salt, quantity might not always
imply any quality.

Have a lot ..., lots of fun!

19 Answers

Bill Guindon

On 5/22/05, Balwinder Singh Dheeman <bsd.SANSPAM@cto.homelinux.net> wrote:
> Stats comp.lang.ruby (last 7 days)
>
> Top 10 posters for the period:
>
> rank posts kbytes name <address>
> 1 27 72.4 David A. Black <dblack@wobblini.net>
> 2 24 87.2 Ara.T.Howard@noaa.gov <Ara.T.Howard@noaa.gov>
> 3 14 42.4 James Edward Gray II <james@grayproductions.net>
> 4 14 28.0 Robert Klemme <bob.news@gmx.net>
> 5 12 27.8 Brian Schröder <ruby.brian@gmail.com>
> 6 11 28.4 Mark Hubbart <discordantus@gmail.com>
> 7 11 22.8 James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com>
> 9 9 24.9 nobu.nokada@softhome.net <nobu.nokada@softhome.net>
> 10 9 24.8 Christoph <chr_mail@gmx.net>
> ----- ------
> 141 381.6 Total for top 10
>
> DISCLAIMER
> Please, take these stats with a dash of salt, quantity might not always
> imply any quality.

I know it's been raised before, but I don't recall any suggestions, so
I'll offer mine.

How about...

DISCLAIMER
Please, take these stats with a grain of salt. Quantity does not always
equal quality (but on this list, they're _usually_ pretty close).

--
Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)

dblack

Bill Guindon

On 5/22/05, David A. Black <dblack@wobblini.net> wrote:
> Hi --
>
> On Mon, 23 May 2005, Bill Guindon wrote:
>
> > On 5/22/05, Balwinder Singh Dheeman <bsd.SANSPAM@cto.homelinux.net> wrote:
> >> Stats comp.lang.ruby (last 7 days)
> >>
> >> Top 10 posters for the period:
> >>
> >> rank posts kbytes name <address>
> >> 1 27 72.4 David A. Black <dblack@wobblini.net>
> >> 2 24 87.2 Ara.T.Howard@noaa.gov <Ara.T.Howard@noaa.gov>
> >> 3 14 42.4 James Edward Gray II <james@grayproductions.net>
> >> 4 14 28.0 Robert Klemme <bob.news@gmx.net>
> >> 5 12 27.8 Brian Schröder <ruby.brian@gmail.com>
> >> 6 11 28.4 Mark Hubbart <discordantus@gmail.com>
> >> 7 11 22.8 James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com>
> >> 9 9 24.9 nobu.nokada@softhome.net <nobu.nokada@softhome.net>
> >> 10 9 24.8 Christoph <chr_mail@gmx.net>
> >> ----- ------
> >> 141 381.6 Total for top 10
> >>
> >> DISCLAIMER
> >> Please, take these stats with a dash of salt, quantity might not always
> >> imply any quality.
> >
> > I know it's been raised before, but I don't recall any suggestions, so
> > I'll offer mine.
>
> My suggestion was to remove this "disclaimer", which serves no
> positive purpose and is simply a gratuitous snub to frequent posters.
>
> That suggestion was ignored.

Yeah, saw that conversation. Guess I meant 'no suggestions for
rewording it to tone it down a bit'. After looking at the last two
weeks of top ten, the disclaimer really seems off base. Think it's
just unfortunate timing since he started posting these when... well, a
disclaimer seemed more fitting.

--
Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)

james_b

David A. Black wrote:
> Hi --
>
> On Mon, 23 May 2005, Bill Guindon wrote:
>> I know it's been raised before, but I don't recall any suggestions, so
>> I'll offer mine.
>

> My suggestion was to remove this "disclaimer", which serves no
> positive purpose and is simply a gratuitous snub to frequent posters.
>
> That suggestion was ignored.

Sadly.

I, too, would like that "disclaimer" removed. The stats are of mild
interest to me, but I trust the vast majority who read them to have
enough sense interpreting their meaning and value.

James Britt

--

http://www.ru... - The Ruby Documentation Site
http://www.r... - News, Articles, and Listings for Ruby & XML

Glenn Parker

James Britt wrote:

> I, too, would like that "disclaimer" removed. The stats are of mild
> interest to me, but I trust the vast majority who read them to have
> enough sense interpreting their meaning and value.

Balwinder,

Hang in there, and remember that "No good deed goes unpunished." Your
disclaimer is short, to the point, and easy enough to ignore, even
though it is quite relevant. This discussion group's message volume is
trending up, while the signal to noise ratio is slowly falling. Some
people land at the top of the list and feel somehow insulted at your
disclaimer, but maybe they are just a bit chagrined.

I used to read and appreciate almost every message. Now I read less
than half of them. I suggest that posters ask themselves if their
message is relevant to at least 5% or 10% of the group. That's a pretty
low threshold, but it would eliminate at least 10% of the messages in
the current mix.

--
Glenn Parker | glenn.parker-AT-comcast.net | <http://www.tetrafoi...

Chris Pine

> My suggestion was to remove this "disclaimer", which serves no
> positive purpose and is simply a gratuitous snub to frequent posters.

How about removing the stats entirely?

They certainly aren't improving the signal-to-noise ratio for me.
Plus, there's a good segment of the population who don't appreciate
these weekly posts: when I asked how people would feel if I posted
regularly offering help to nubies and pointing them to several good
nuby resources (my tutorial among them), the response was sufficiently
negative. (In summary, the argument against was: "This isn't the
right place for that.")

I hardly think this is more helpful to the Ruby community.

How about moving the stats onto a website somewhere?

Chris

Tanner Burson

On 5/23/05, Chris Pine <glyconis@gmail.com> wrote:
> > My suggestion was to remove this "disclaimer", which serves no
> > positive purpose and is simply a gratuitous snub to frequent posters.
>
> How about removing the stats entirely?
>
> They certainly aren't improving the signal-to-noise ratio for me.
> Plus, there's a good segment of the population who don't appreciate
> these weekly posts: when I asked how people would feel if I posted
> regularly offering help to nubies and pointing them to several good
> nuby resources (my tutorial among them), the response was sufficiently
> negative. (In summary, the argument against was: "This isn't the
> right place for that.")
>
> I hardly think this is more helpful to the Ruby community.
>
> How about moving the stats onto a website somewhere?
+1

--
===Tanner Burson===
tanner.burson@gmail.com

Bill Kelly

From: "Glenn Parker" <glenn.parker@comcast.net>

> I used to read and appreciate almost every message. Now I read less
> than half of them. I suggest that posters ask themselves if their
> message is relevant to at least 5% or 10% of the group.

Sorry to contribute to the noise, but I don't understand this.
I have no idea if 5% or 10% of rubyists are having trouble
getting opengl to compile on OS X, for instance. Maybe it's
only 0.1% or less... But I darned well expect to be able to
reply to the guy if I think I have some info that might help
him out ..... ???????????????

As, indeed, I think such a poster should feel free to ask for
help here in the first place, regardless of whether 99.9% of
the group might not find the post relevant to their own
situation...

Have I misunderstood your idea?

Regards,

Bill

dblack

Christian Neukirchen

Chris Pine <glyconis@gmail.com> writes:

>> My suggestion was to remove this "disclaimer", which serves no
>> positive purpose and is simply a gratuitous snub to frequent posters.
>
> How about removing the stats entirely?
>
> They certainly aren't improving the signal-to-noise ratio for me.
> Plus, there's a good segment of the population who don't appreciate
> these weekly posts: when I asked how people would feel if I posted
> regularly offering help to nubies and pointing them to several good
> nuby resources (my tutorial among them), the response was sufficiently
> negative. (In summary, the argument against was: "This isn't the
> right place for that.")
>
> I hardly think this is more helpful to the Ruby community.
>
> How about moving the stats onto a website somewhere?

+1, I can't hear the weekly discussions about the disclaimer anymore.

--
Christian Neukirchen <chneukirchen@gmail.com> http://chneuk...