Re: syntax sugar: treating an object like a method

Eric Mahurin

5/19/2005 12:43:00 PM

--- gabriele renzi <surrender_it@remove-yahoo.it> wrote:
> Eric Mahurin ha scritto:
>

> > I didn't know Python had that. Just found it:
> >
> > x(arg1, arg2, ...) is a shorthand for x.__call__(arg1,
> arg2,
> > ..)
>
> but notice that python does not have (and never had) separate
> namespaces
> for methods and variables, like we have in ruby.
> Special casing #call (which is something I like) will cause
> some
> breakage in cases where you do things like
> meth = meth(meth)
> or similar, see a recent message from Joao Pedrosa (IIRC)
> that shows
> some examples of real libraries getting an error.

I think it is a similar issue between method calls and getting
a local variable - same namespace.

I would think a method call would take precedence over an
"object" call - like getting a local variable takes precendence
of calling a method.

Yahoo! Mail Mobile
http://mobile.yahoo.com/...