Re: Compiling MySQL-Ruby on Tiger

pat allan

5/19/2005 1:02:00 AM

Hi Jonathon

I had seen that first link before, but forgot about it until now - but
I've run it anyways (albeit after compiling ruby manually). It doesn't
seem to have made a difference.

Still no luck, same errors as previously described, so I guess the next
step is to follow the link at the bottom of the comments of Lucas
Carlson's post, and install MySQL from DarwinPorts.

5 Answers

Jim Freeze

* pat allan <pat.allan@gmail.com> [2005-05-19 10:05:13 +0900]:

> Hi Jonathon
>
> I had seen that first link before, but forgot about it until now - but
> I've run it anyways (albeit after compiling ruby manually). It doesn't
> seem to have made a difference.
>
> Still no luck, same errors as previously described, so I guess the next
> step is to follow the link at the bottom of the comments of Lucas
> Carlson's post, and install MySQL from DarwinPorts.

That readline issue may be a problem with configure.
I have built readline and ruby on OS X and it works fine.
I just recently had to do the same on a Sun and ran
across the this problem: the readline extension did not
build with ruby make, and it should have. So, after
I did ./configure and make, I did:

cd ext/readline
ruby extconfig.rb
make
make install

Then backup up and finished installing ruby:

cd ../..
make install

--
Jim Freeze
Ruby: I can explain it to ya but I can't understand it fer ya.

pat allan

Hi Jim

When trying to follow your steps:
# ruby extconf.rb
checking for tgetnum() in -lncurses... no
checking for tgetnum() in -ltermcap... no
checking for tgetnum() in -lcurses... no
checking for readline/readline.h... no

I'm assuming I need at least one yes for it to generate a make file?
Make returns "Nothing to be done for 'all'", too.

And MySQL 4.x through DarwinPorts isn't yet working on Tiger - so that
avenue's closed at the moment. I might try straight from source if I
can be bothered and have the time, or I might just wait till the
DarwinPorts team get their package sorted.

Ezra Zygmuntowicz

If you install the mysql from http://serverlog... it will work
great on tiger. I got it working with the standard tiger ruiby from
apple. Butf I actually shunned that ruby and compiled my own from
source. But both of them worked with mysql-ruby. The mysql from the
link above also has a sytem preference pane for setting mysql
passwords and stopping and restarting mysqld. Once I installed that
version of mysql the mysql-ruby extension worked fine like this:
$ruby extconf.rb --with-mysql-config
And them make and sudo make install. Hope this helps

-Ezra
On May 18, 2005, at 6:05 PM, pat allan wrote:

> Hi Jonathon
>
> I had seen that first link before, but forgot about it until now - but
> I've run it anyways (albeit after compiling ruby manually). It doesn't
> seem to have made a difference.
>
> Still no luck, same errors as previously described, so I guess the
> next
> step is to follow the link at the bottom of the comments of Lucas
> Carlson's post, and install MySQL from DarwinPorts.

pat allan

Ezra, I thought you'd found the silver bullet, and found the key to
make this all work.

Unfortuantely, the error messages haven't changed at all.

Although considering you have got it working, I must be doing
*something* wrong. Altho I've no idea what. Perhaps its a readline
problem - is there a simple test I can run to confirm whether it is
installed correctly?

Jim Freeze

* pat allan <pat.allan@gmail.com> [2005-05-19 12:55:14 +0900]:

> Hi Jim
>
> When trying to follow your steps:
> # ruby extconf.rb
> checking for tgetnum() in -lncurses... no
> checking for tgetnum() in -ltermcap... no
> checking for tgetnum() in -lcurses... no
> checking for readline/readline.h... no

Ah yes, I left that part out. On Sun I had to install ncurses before
readline. But I thought it was already on OS X. If you
find it on OS X, then set CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS
to make sure they have ncurses in their path.