[OT] OSX Mail.app performance

tsuraan

5/17/2005 11:40:00 PM

Sorry about the OT, but this is the only high-volume list I'm on that
has lots of OSX users. Anyhow, does anyone else here have troubles
with Mail.app as the number of messages in one folder gets up around
10,000? I like to keep personal archives of my lists, but I've been
noticing that Mail is getting almost unusable. Even when typing this
message, it feels a bit laggy. Also, assuming that anyone has noticed
this problem, does it go away with Mail 2.0 (with OSX 10.4)? I'd
upgrade if I knew it would make the mail client a bit more responsive
under high loads. Thanks!

--jay

5 Answers

Ezra Zygmuntowicz

Yeah mail.app 2.0 on tiger gets rid of this problem nicely. It's MUCH
snappier than mail on panther.
-Ezra
On May 17, 2005, at 4:40 PM, tsuraan wrote:

> Sorry about the OT, but this is the only high-volume list I'm on
> that has lots of OSX users. Anyhow, does anyone else here have
> troubles with Mail.app as the number of messages in one folder gets
> up around 10,000? I like to keep personal archives of my lists,
> but I've been noticing that Mail is getting almost unusable. Even
> when typing this message, it feels a bit laggy. Also, assuming
> that anyone has noticed this problem, does it go away with Mail 2.0
> (with OSX 10.4)? I'd upgrade if I knew it would make the mail
> client a bit more responsive under high loads. Thanks!
>
> --jay

Lyle Johnson

On 5/17/05, Ezra Zygmuntowicz <ezra@yakima-herald.com> wrote:

> Yeah mail.app 2.0 on tiger gets rid of this problem nicely. It's MUCH
> snappier than mail on panther.

It's interesting (but encouraging) to hear this. It seems like I've
seen several complaints about the performance of Mail.app under Tiger
as opposed to the previous release of Mac OS X, so I'm glad to hear a
report to the contrary. ;)

Eric Hodel

On 17 May 2005, at 16:40, tsuraan wrote:

> Sorry about the OT, but this is the only high-volume list I'm on
> that has lots of OSX users. Anyhow, does anyone else here have
> troubles with Mail.app as the number of messages in one folder gets
> up around 10,000? I like to keep personal archives of my lists,
> but I've been noticing that Mail is getting almost unusable. Even
> when typing this message, it feels a bit laggy. Also, assuming
> that anyone has noticed this problem, does it go away with Mail 2.0
> (with OSX 10.4)? I'd upgrade if I knew it would make the mail
> client a bit more responsive under high loads. Thanks!

I have no speed problems, but I do get mail duplication when using
Mail.app's filtering. I think this only happens around suspend/
resume, but I'm not sure. I think Mail.app isn't doing a good job of
bookkeeping somewhere (10.4.1, still).

Sometimes, marking a message or thread of messages unread/read takes
a half second longer than it should.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://se...
FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E 7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

tsuraan

Thanks for the info!

On May 17, 2005, at 7:13 PM, Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:

> Yeah mail.app 2.0 on tiger gets rid of this problem nicely. It's MUCH
> snappier than mail on panther.
> -Ezra
> On May 17, 2005, at 4:40 PM, tsuraan wrote:
>
>> Sorry about the OT, but this is the only high-volume list I'm on that
>> has lots of OSX users. Anyhow, does anyone else here have troubles
>> with Mail.app as the number of messages in one folder gets up around
>> 10,000? I like to keep personal archives of my lists, but I've been
>> noticing that Mail is getting almost unusable. Even when typing this
>> message, it feels a bit laggy. Also, assuming that anyone has
>> noticed this problem, does it go away with Mail 2.0 (with OSX 10.4)?
>> I'd upgrade if I knew it would make the mail client a bit more
>> responsive under high loads. Thanks!
>>
>> --jay

Philipp Kern

Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:
> Yeah mail.app 2.0 on tiger gets rid of this problem nicely. It's MUCH
> snappier than mail on panther.

Sadly I cannot agree. I felt much more comfortable with Panther's
Mail.app. It handled bm IMAP mail spool with several folders with >3'000
(normally around 7'000) messages each just better.

The initial connect of Mail 2.0 to my IMAP server was a nightmare.
Especially because it thought that it has to download and index all of
it, without a real progress indicator (which is a real problem in this
case IMO -- just a bar without percent count is quite bad). I had to
backup some of the older messages into sub folders, otherwise the checks
for new mail took too long.

With many tiny folders (~ 1'000) however Mail seems to work nicely and
the Spotlight index over all messages is just amazing. (The real reason
why I use Mail.app, and the Address Book of course.)

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern