[OT] Alternatives to Meetup.com?

ruby talk

5/16/2005 11:51:00 PM

I've received E-mail from Meetup.com that the Phoenix Ruby Group is
closed until someone steps up and pays the organizer fees. Well, that
won't be me, and and don't expect anyone else in the group to do so
either.

What do other people use to organize Ruby user groups?

Thanks,

James Britt

10 Answers

Tom Copeland

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 08:51 +0900, James G. Britt wrote:
> I've received E-mail from Meetup.com that the Phoenix Ruby Group is
> closed until someone steps up and pays the organizer fees. Well, that
> won't be me, and and don't expect anyone else in the group to do so
> either.
>
> What do other people use to organize Ruby user groups?

Some RUGs have started projects on RubyForge with lists and whatnot:

http://rubyforge.org/projects/r...

http://rubyforge.org/projects/chi...

Yours,

Tom

Jim Freeze

* James G. Britt <ruby.talk.list@gmail.com> [2005-05-17 08:51:02 +0900]:

> I've received E-mail from Meetup.com that the Phoenix Ruby Group is
> closed until someone steps up and pays the organizer fees. Well, that
> won't be me, and and don't expect anyone else in the group to do so
> either.
>
> What do other people use to organize Ruby user groups?

We are using Yahoo Groups for Austin.rb -- or as we call it
ARCTAN - Austin Ruby Coders and Texas Area Network

--
Jim Freeze
Ruby: I can explain it to ya but I can't understand it fer ya.

Tom Ward

> I've received E-mail from Meetup.com that the Phoenix Ruby Group is
> closed until someone steps up and pays the organizer fees. Well, that
> won't be me, and and don't expect anyone else in the group to do so
> either.
>
> What do other people use to organize Ruby user groups?

Many meetup groups have moved over to Andy Baio's upcoming.org

email : tom at popdog.net

pat eyler

On 5/17/05, Tom Ward <tom.ward@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've received E-mail from Meetup.com that the Phoenix Ruby Group is
> > closed until someone steps up and pays the organizer fees. Well, that
> > won't be me, and and don't expect anyone else in the group to do so
> > either.
> >
> > What do other people use to organize Ruby user groups?
>
> Many meetup groups have moved over to Andy Baio's upcoming.org

The good folk in pdx.rb are talking about writing their own rb-runner
app in Rails, and the folks down in urug have already written an
RSVP tool to handle their meetings. Up here in Seattle.rb, we do
things the old fashioned way -- with email. (Each group Cc:ed
to elicit any responses (or cooperation) possible.)

--
thanks,
-pate

Curt Hibbs

pat eyler wrote:
> On 5/17/05, Tom Ward <tom.ward@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>>I've received E-mail from Meetup.com that the Phoenix Ruby Group is
>>>closed until someone steps up and pays the organizer fees. Well, that
>>>won't be me, and and don't expect anyone else in the group to do so
>>>either.
>>>
>>>What do other people use to organize Ruby user groups?
>>
>>Many meetup groups have moved over to Andy Baio's upcoming.org
>

> The good folk in pdx.rb are talking about writing their own rb-runner
> app in Rails, and the folks down in urug have already written an
> RSVP tool to handle their meetings. Up here in Seattle.rb, we do
> things the old fashioned way -- with email. (Each group Cc:ed
> to elicit any responses (or cooperation) possible.)

Last I heard, John Long and Ryan Platte were planning to write a
meetup.com replacement for their entry in the Rails Day competition (I
think they are looking for a third person to join their team).

Curt

james_b

Tom Ward wrote:
>>I've received E-mail from Meetup.com that the Phoenix Ruby Group is
>>closed until someone steps up and pays the organizer fees. Well, that
>>won't be me, and and don't expect anyone else in the group to do so
>>either.
>>
>>What do other people use to organize Ruby user groups?
>

> Many meetup groups have moved over to Andy Baio's upcoming.org

I just poked around upcoming.org, but don't see a way to define a
recurring event, nor can I add an event that has yet to decide on a
venue. It seems focused on one-off, well-defined activities; that
fails to define phx.rb on both counts.

James

--

http://www.ru...
http://www.r...

pat eyler

On 5/17/05, James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com> wrote:
> Tom Ward wrote:
> >>I've received E-mail from Meetup.com that the Phoenix Ruby Group is
> >>closed until someone steps up and pays the organizer fees. Well, that
> >>won't be me, and and don't expect anyone else in the group to do so
> >>either.
> >>
> >>What do other people use to organize Ruby user groups?
> >

> > Many meetup groups have moved over to Andy Baio's upcoming.org
>
> I just poked around upcoming.org, but don't see a way to define a
> recurring event, nor can I add an event that has yet to decide on a
> venue. It seems focused on one-off, well-defined activities; that
> fails to define phx.rb on both counts.

They do have an API (which I've not yet looked at) though. What about using
that to do scheduling for your local Ruby Brigade (and for displaying
the resulting
meetings)?

--
thanks,
-pate
We are often unable to tell people what they need to know, because
they want to know something else, and would therefore only
misunderstand what we said
- the Raven (George MacDonald, Lilith)

Matt Pattison

Hi James,

I'm moving the Melbourne Ruby group over to google groups
http://groups.google.com.au/group/melb...
along with another group I organise. It's simple, but like everything
else google seems to make (IMO), it's excellent. If there are reasons
why you want the specific features of rubyforge (wiki or cvs
repository), then that would be a good choice, otherwise I'd recommend
google groups.

Cheers,
Matt

On 5/17/05, pat eyler <pat.eyler@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Many meetup groups have moved over to Andy Baio's upcoming.org
> >
> > I just poked around upcoming.org, but don't see a way to define a
> > recurring event, nor can I add an event that has yet to decide on a
> > venue. It seems focused on one-off, well-defined activities; that
> > fails to define phx.rb on both counts.
>
> They do have an API (which I've not yet looked at) though. What about using
> that to do scheduling for your local Ruby Brigade (and for displaying
> the resulting
> meetings)?
>

> > James
> >

> --
> thanks,
> -pate
> -------------------------
> We are often unable to tell people what they need to know, because
> they want to know something else, and would therefore only
> misunderstand what we said
> - the Raven (George MacDonald, Lilith)

John W. Long

Curt Hibbs wrote:

> Last I heard, John Long and Ryan Platte were planning to write a
> meetup.com replacement for their entry in the Rails Day competition (I
> think they are looking for a third person to join their team).

Yup, we are still looking for a third person. It would be nice if they
were in the Chicago area.

--
John Long
http://wiseheart...

Premshree Pillai

On 5/17/05, James G. Britt <ruby.talk.list@gmail.com> wrote:
> What do other people use to organize Ruby user groups?

The Ruby India group (ruby-india) is using Yahoo! Groups. Works kinda
okay for us.

--
Premshree Pillai
http://www.livejournal.com/users/...