app like orkut.

bobbym

5/16/2005 8:44:00 PM

Hi railsist.

i try to find out some application wich has same features of orkut and
can´t find anything writed in rails.

anyone how something, because if doesn´t exist i need to create one
from scracth.

Hugs.
bobbym

14 Answers

Bob Aman

On 5/16/05, bobbym <rsmartins@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi railsist.
>
> i try to find out some application wich has same features of orkut and
> can´t find anything writed in rails.
>
> anyone how something, because if doesn´t exist i need to create one
> from scracth.
>
> Hugs.
> bobbym

I'm writing one.

However, I can't imagine why you need one written in rails. That's
kind of the whole attraction to web apps. I don't care that
43things.com or Backpack was written in rails. It's cool that they
are, but all I really care about is that it does something neat.

That said, what I'm writing won't exist in the wild for quite a while
yet. I'm not keen on the whole "beta" craze, and playing around with
people's private information is not something to be taken lightly.

Also, I think maybe this thread is ever so slightly off-topic for the
ruby-talk mailing list.

--
Bob Aman

thebosters

On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 7:54:53 PM UTC-4, Playa wrote:
> Hey,
>

> On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 9:00:39 AM UTC-4, Desert Lurker wrote:
>
> > Genestealer was the 3rd set
>

> Wiki says both were released in 1990?
>
> I saw - and bought - GS before DW though.
>
> After the awesomesauce of SH, I was hyped for GS.
>

> I was not disappointed. GW really had something, there!
>
> After the awesomosity of GS, I was super-hyped for DW.
>
> Ugh, what a let-down. Models, tiles, rules - all poor.
>

> I remember expecting the next SH "expansion" to be better.
>
> Then, GW did what GW does, and stopped supporting its best game.
>
> So, we invented SH Crusade with Doom of the Eldar and some Titans.
>

> Good times!

I bought Genestealer 2nd as well. With the hybrids and librarians. I had a comp. sub as a retailer back then (had my own comic shop). Space Hulk is the only reason I got into "teh hobby". Bought my first space marines because of the White Dwarf article for using them in SH.

To be fair to GW, That's the way board games were. There was no expansion for Panzer Blitz, or Fury of Dracula, or Diplomacy, or Chainsaw warrior. For years there was only a couple small add on packs for Talisman.

Ah yes, Battle for Armageddon, Horus Heresy and Doom of the Eldar. Poor Jervis, seemed he wanted to be a proper game designer back then and not just hash and rehash 40K.

JohnPaulPontiff

Hey,

On Thursday, September 5, 2013 8:46:52 AM UTC-4, Desert Lurker wrote:
> To be fair to GW, That's the way board games were

Not board games for which Citadel miniatures count as "expansions."
How could SG support have ever been considered too expensive?
Ask gamers what they want, then sell it to them! Oh, wait ...

> There was no expansion for Panzer Blitz, or Fury of Dracula

That's the old "We're a model company" argument, though.
GW wants to sell THEIR models. Okay. Didn't SH sell models?
What happened? Did GW have to cut back so they could meet demand?

> Poor Jervis, seemed he wanted to be a proper game designer back then

Didn't they all? No one seemed to learn from their failures, though -

Epic and Inquisitor could have been huge sellers - in 28mm.
Mordheim/ Necromunda books could have been GW's Warmahordes-killers.
Only gross mismanagement can explain why BFG never really took off. XP

Why? Afaik, their armybook/ dexes are literally promotional adverts.
Publishing games is their ONLY form of advertisement besides WD.
How is Dreadfleet a part of GW's ad budget, and not Blood Bowl?

> just hash and rehash 40K

Yes, basically, plastic Space Marines are GW's bread 'n butter.
... which brings us back to GW dropping games that use plastic SM.
For that matter, Hero Quest was another missed GW opportunity, imo.

But that's another rant ...

Playa

+++

"Crom, I've never asked you for help before. But if you don't help
me now, to Hell vit you."
- start of Jay Carney's pre-presser prayer and meditation ritual

thebosters

On Thursday, September 5, 2013 11:34:16 AM UTC-4, Playa wrote:
> Hey,
>

> On Thursday, September 5, 2013 8:46:52 AM UTC-4, Desert Lurker wrote:
>
> > To be fair to GW, That's the way board games were
>

> Not board games for which Citadel miniatures count as "expansions."

True. I suppose the baffling part is less about support, but why does lack of support = stop printing the game? I can see we don't have any new ideas for Space Hulk, but why stop printing the game? Why is the new Space Hulk not in print right now? There's a computer games. In today's gw prices It's and easy $150.

> That's the old "We're a model company" argument, though.
>
> GW wants to sell THEIR models. Okay. Didn't SH sell models?
>
> What happened? Did GW have to cut back so they could meet demand?

The only thing I can think of is they felt it cannibalized 40K proper sales.. Or they needed to use the injector machine for another plastic kit. They used the SH 'stealer till 4E.

SH 2E was a mess that no one I know liked but was a good donor kit for the new plastic Termies(10) & stealers(20) That killed SH good and dead.

> > Poor Jervis, seemed he wanted to be a proper game designer back then
>

> Didn't they all? No one seemed to learn from their failures, though -
>

> Epic and Inquisitor could have been huge sellers - in 28mm.

Epic should have been 15mm like most historical minis of the day. It is small enough so you can get big battles but big enough to get good detail on the vehicles. Look at FoW people will play something besides 28mm. Epic in 28mm is what Apocalypse should have been.
Inquisitor would be amazing in 28mm. Most of the designers were not good at that big scale. It is also one of the rumors for the Holiday box.

> Mordheim/ Necromunda books could have been GW's Warmahordes-killers.
>
> Only gross mismanagement can explain why BFG never really took off. XP

Loved BFG. My war/board-game friends liked it too. Maybe that is the problem.

> Why? Afaik, their armybook/ dexes are literally promotional adverts.
>
> Publishing games is their ONLY form of advertisement besides WD.
>
> How is Dreadfleet a part of GW's ad budget, and not Blood Bowl?

Dreadball occupies that space now?

> > just hash and rehash 40K
>

> Yes, basically, plastic Space Marines are GW's bread 'n butter.
>
> ... which brings us back to GW dropping games that use plastic SM.
>
> For that matter, Hero Quest was another missed GW opportunity, imo.
>

> But that's another rant ...

looking forward to it,

Joe- Memory Lane -Boster

Blackheart

On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 7:54:53 PM UTC-4, Playa wrote:
> Hey,
>

> On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 9:00:39 AM UTC-4, Desert Lurker wrote:
>
> > Genestealer was the 3rd set
>

> Wiki says both were released in 1990?
>
> I saw - and bought - GS before DW though.
>
> After the awesomesauce of SH, I was hyped for GS.
>

> I was not disappointed. GW really had something, there!
>
> After the awesomosity of GS, I was super-hyped for DW.
>
> Ugh, what a let-down. Models, tiles, rules - all poor.
>

> I remember expecting the next SH "expansion" to be better.
>
> Then, GW did what GW does, and stopped supporting its best game.
>
> So, we invented SH Crusade with Doom of the Eldar and some Titans.
>

> Good times!

Hey, it'll all be better when Hasbro buy GW. Then you can buy your Space Marines from a Hasbro store. And while you're there, you can pick up a few packs of 40K Cards to go with them and hope you get a Mythic rare Marneus Calgar stats that's 4 times better and cheaper in points than the Super Rare Marneus Calgar. Because Hasbro is what's good for the hobby and Hasbro will save us all from Big Tom Kirby's tyranny.

thebosters

On Thursday, September 5, 2013 2:31:51 PM UTC-4, Blackheart wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 7:54:53 PM UTC-4, Playa wrote:
>
> > Hey,
>

> > On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 9:00:39 AM UTC-4, Desert Lurker wrote:
>

> > > Genestealer was the 3rd set
>

> > Wiki says both were released in 1990?
>

> > I saw - and bought - GS before DW though.
>

> > After the awesomesauce of SH, I was hyped for GS.
>

> > I was not disappointed. GW really had something, there!
>

> > After the awesomosity of GS, I was super-hyped for DW.
>

> > Ugh, what a let-down. Models, tiles, rules - all poor.
>

> > I remember expecting the next SH "expansion" to be better.
>

> > Then, GW did what GW does, and stopped supporting its best game.
>

> > So, we invented SH Crusade with Doom of the Eldar and some Titans.
>

> > Good times!
>

> Hey, it'll all be better when Hasbro buy GW. Then you can buy your Space >Marines from a Hasbro store. And while you're there, you can pick up a few >packs of 40K Cards to go with them and hope you get a Mythic rare Marneus >Calgar stats that's 4 times better and cheaper in points than the Super Rare >Marneus Calgar. Because Hasbro is what's good for the hobby and Hasbro will >save us all from Big Tom Kirby's tyranny.

I have no problem with Tyranny and a profitable GW is good for the games industry in general. I was merely grousing about the ways I want Kirby to take my money instead of the ways that he is trying. I want to give him my money. I still buy WD. I went to Games Day (and had a great time!) I'm going to buy the SM 'dex and probably the Stern guard. I made not one comment about prices being to high or quality of the rules. I thought they hit it out of the park with Eldar. But seriously, Space Hulk Sold in Hours of being on sale. There is money waiting to be had. I would by another copy of SH just because it is one of my favorite games of all time. I hope the rumor of inquisitor in 28mm is true. I'd love to buy that. I want to buy a redone BB with minis as good as the ones from SH.
To be a game store today you need a solid core of Magic and GW. This allows you to have the margin needed to pursue the X-Wing's, DUST's and FoW. That would be like a comic book store without Marvel and DC.

Joe- /rant -Boster

Blackheart

On Thursday, September 5, 2013 2:59:56 PM UTC-4, Desert Lurker wrote:
> On Thursday, September 5, 2013 2:31:51 PM UTC-4, Blackheart wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 7:54:53 PM UTC-4, Playa wrote:
>

> > > Hey,

> > > Wiki says both were released in 1990?
>

> > > I saw - and bought - GS before DW though.
>

> > > After the awesomesauce of SH, I was hyped for GS.

> > > I was not disappointed. GW really had something, there!
>

> > > After the awesomosity of GS, I was super-hyped for DW.
>

> > > Ugh, what a let-down. Models, tiles, rules - all poor.

> > > I remember expecting the next SH "expansion" to be better.
>

> > > Then, GW did what GW does, and stopped supporting its best game.
>

> > > So, we invented SH Crusade with Doom of the Eldar and some Titans.

> > > Good times!
>

> > Hey, it'll all be better when Hasbro buy GW. Then you can buy your Space >Marines from a Hasbro store. And while you're there, you can pick up a few >packs of 40K Cards to go with them and hope you get a Mythic rare Marneus >Calgar stats that's 4 times better and cheaper in points than the Super Rare >Marneus Calgar. Because Hasbro is what's good for the hobby and Hasbro will >save us all from Big Tom Kirby's tyranny.
>

> I have no problem with Tyranny and a profitable GW is good for the games industry in general. I was merely grousing about the ways I want Kirby to take my money instead of the ways that he is trying. I want to give him my money. I still buy WD. I went to Games Day (and had a great time!) I'm going to buy the SM 'dex and probably the Stern guard. I made not one comment about prices being to high or quality of the rules. I thought they hit it out of the park with Eldar. But seriously, Space Hulk Sold in Hours of being on sale. There is money waiting to be had. I would by another copy of SH just because it is one of my favorite games of all time. I hope the rumor of inquisitor in 28mm is true. I'd love to buy that. I want to buy a redone BB with minis as good as the ones from SH.
>
> To be a game store today you need a solid core of Magic and GW. This allows you to have the margin needed to pursue the X-Wing's, DUST's and FoW. That would be like a comic book store without Marvel and DC.
>

> Joe- /rant -Boster

The funny thing is, there's a new store that opened when GW closed up the local stores. He launched with big FOW, Dust, Warmachine and Malifaux sections. 3 of the 4 he can't pay people to play. X-Wing does gangbusters and Magic is a money-maker. But what do people play and buy? 40K. He sells more of the "not warhammer" resin bits than FOW, Dust and Malifaux combined.

"Dust is a great game with great models in a great setting. I love it, but I can't get anyone to play it." - Manager of new game store.

Moramarth

On Thursday, September 5, 2013 6:32:39 PM UTC+1, Desert Lurker wrote:

> > Epic and Inquisitor could have been huge sellers - in 28mm.
> Epic should have been 15mm like most historical minis of the day. It is small enough so you can get big battles but big enough to get good detail on the vehicles. Look at FoW people will play something besides 28mm. Epic in 28mm is what Apocalypse should have been.
Epic was just fine in 6mm. It was already an established scale for WW2 and later, including SciFi, and still is - "Dirtside" is pretty good.
"Warmaster" should have been 15mm.
BFG had a mismatch between model and "ground" scale - if you have enough room using inches rather than centimeters solves it. The problem was they lifted a lot of stuff from "General Quarters" which was designed for 1:3000 scale where a battleship is only a couple of inches long at most.

Cheers,
> Joe- Memory Lane -Boster

Erik Setzer

On Friday, September 6, 2013 8:42:24 AM UTC-4, Moramarth wrote:
> > > Epic and Inquisitor could have been huge sellers - in 28mm.
>
> > Epic should have been 15mm like most historical minis of the day. It is small enough so you can get big battles but big enough to get good detail on the vehicles. Look at FoW people will play something besides 28mm. Epic in 28mm is what Apocalypse should have been.
>
> Epic was just fine in 6mm. It was already an established scale for WW2 and later, including SciFi, and still is - "Dirtside" is pretty good.

I'm a bit miffed that people are suggesting scale is what killed Epic. It did fine in 6mm for years. What killed it was that they opted to go super-simple and streamlined the rules to the point that the game lost its character. You had a few small 40K armies running around on the table and the only defining factor between them seemed to be how many dice you roll. Compared to the Space Marine and Titan Legions rules, that was dreadfully boring and just left behind a lot of the character. I loved the old detachments and having different rules for different units.

- Erik

thebosters

On Friday, September 6, 2013 12:09:49 AM UTC-4, Blackheart wrote:
> On Thursday, September 5, 2013 2:59:56 PM UTC-4, Desert Lurker wrote:

> > > Hey, it'll all be better when Hasbro buy GW. Then you can buy your Space >Marines from a Hasbro store. And while you're there, you can pick up a few >packs of 40K Cards to go with them and hope you get a Mythic rare Marneus >Calgar stats that's 4 times better and cheaper in points than the Super Rare >Marneus Calgar. Because Hasbro is what's good for the hobby and Hasbro will >save us all from Big Tom Kirby's tyranny.
>

> > I have no problem with Tyranny and a profitable GW is good for the games industry in general. I was merely grousing about the ways I want Kirby to take my money instead of the ways that he is trying. I want to give him my money. I still buy WD. I went to Games Day (and had a great time!) I'm going to buy the SM 'dex and probably the Stern guard. I made not one comment about prices being to high or quality of the rules. I thought they hit it out of the park with Eldar. But seriously, Space Hulk Sold in Hours of being on sale. There is money waiting to be had. I would by another copy of SH just because it is one of my favorite games of all time. I hope the rumor of inquisitor in 28mm is true. I'd love to buy that. I want to buy a redone BB with minis as good as the ones from SH.
>

> > To be a game store today you need a solid core of Magic and GW. This allows you to have the margin needed to pursue the X-Wing's, DUST's and FoW. That would be like a comic book store without Marvel and DC.
>

> > Joe- /rant -Boster
>

> The funny thing is, there's a new store that opened when GW closed up the local stores. He launched with big FOW, Dust, Warmachine and Malifaux sections. 3 of the 4 he can't pay people to play. X-Wing does gangbusters and Magic is a money-maker. But what do people play and buy? 40K. He sells more of the "not warhammer" resin bits than FOW, Dust and Malifaux combined.

Which is why a Healthy GW is good for the Games Industry. Sounds Like a great store.

> "Dust is a great game with great models in a great setting. I love it, but I can't get anyone to play it." - Manager of new game store.

That sounds about right, too. If I'm at a game shop playing dust, lots of people come and watch but looking at the store's stock of Dust, it never seems to change.