Stats comp.lang.ruby (last 7 days

Balwinder S Dheeman

5/16/2005 12:38:00 AM

The top 10 accounted for:
3.89% of the posters
23.64% of the articles
24.93% of the bytes

Averages:
3.72 articles / poster
2.24 kbytes / article
8.32 kbytes / poster

94 people posted for the first time this period.
They went on to post 156 articles altogether

The new posters accounted for:
36.58% of the posters
16.32% of the articles
15.51% of the bytes

Top 10 subjects for the period:

posts kbytes subject
61 156.4 ruby vs. java?
47 91.9 [ANN] Redesign 2005, Round Two
42 83.2 Redesign 2005, Round Two
31 73.2 {} vs begin/end [was Re: object loops and what they retu
25 46.3 [ETYMOLOGY] - Sterile Classes / Sterile Meta Classes
23 47.1 alternatives to ? : contruct
18 53.1 Representing Undirected Edges (advice, please)
17 34.3 Go through directories recursively
16 35.3 String Hashing Algorithms
15 33.0 Stats comp.lang.ruby (last 7 days)

956 articles on 205 subjects
809 were followups (84.62%)
5 were crossposts (0.52%)

2139.2 kbytes total
headers: 1082.1kb 50.59%
quoted text: 320.4kb 14.98%
original text: 640.1kb 29.92%
signatures: 32.2kb 1.50%

Averages:
4.66 articles / subjetc
2.24 kbytes / article
10.44 kbytes / subject

Postings per weekday:

Day posts
Monday 145 ***************
Tuesday 180 ******************
Wednesday 171 *****************
Thursday 190 *******************
Friday 121 ************
Saturday 56 ******
Sunday 93 *********
(*=10 posts)

Top 10 newsreader agents used (accumulated):

posts newsreader users
667 (69.77%) ruby-talk 166 64.59%
85 ( 8.89%) g2 39 15.18%
67 ( 7.01%) thunderbird 22 8.56%
40 ( 4.18%) outlook 9 3.50%
30 ( 3.14%) noaa 1 0.39%
17 ( 1.78%) mozilla 4 1.56%
14 ( 1.46%) tin 2 0.78%
9 ( 0.94%) knode 4 1.56%
8 ( 0.84%) t-gnus 1 0.39%
4 ( 0.42%) pan 3 1.17%

19 different agents have been used (versions unaccounted).

DISCLAIMER
Please, take these stats with a dash of salt, quantity might not always
imply any quality.

Have a lot ..., lots of fun!

6 Answers

dblack

Gregory Tod

Hi David,

I think you may have the wrong idea here. I suspect the reference to
"quantity" here is WRT all the preceeding stats, _rather_ than to your
own posts. Having just read this Stats post for the first time I said
to myself - "boy, there are a lot of them"...

Just a thought,

Greg

David A. Black wrote:
> Hi --
>
> On Mon, 16 May 2005, Balwinder Singh Dheeman wrote:
>
>> DISCLAIMER
>> Please, take these stats with a dash of salt, quantity might not always
>> imply any quality.
>

> I don't mean to sound lacking in humility, but could you please stop
> posting this disclaimer? I put a lot of effort into trying to write
> helpful and non-frivolous posts, and so do a lot of other frequent
> posters to this list. If there's something wrong with something
> someone says, please bring it up in the relevant thread. Warning the
> whole list to be on its guard for nonsense from frequent posters is
> unproductive and rather unkind.
>

> David

Balwinder S Dheeman

On 05/16/2005 06:31 AM, David A. Black wrote:
> Hi --
>
> On Mon, 16 May 2005, Balwinder Singh Dheeman wrote:
>
>> DISCLAIMER
>> Please, take these stats with a dash of salt, quantity might not always
>> imply any quality.
>

> I don't mean to sound lacking in humility, but could you please stop
> posting this disclaimer? I put a lot of effort into trying to write
> helpful and non-frivolous posts, and so do a lot of other frequent
> posters to this list. If there's something wrong with something
> someone says, please bring it up in the relevant thread. Warning the
> whole list to be on its guard for nonsense from frequent posters is
> unproductive and rather unkind.

I'm sorry, if you feel offended, but the said disclaimer has nothing to
do with honest, devoted and, or true posters like you. I added it just
to discourage trolls.

OTOH, All we over here at Usenet are aware of the fact that a poster is
best known by the replies and, or questions he/she posts.

--
Dr Balwinder Singh Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
CLLO (Chief Linux Learning Officer) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192

dblack

luntacarsus

> > I've tried clicking the link on the 19th and 22nd and just got -
>
> > "Content currently unavailable."
>

> > Must one first have a FB account, or was the page taken down?
>

> It's still there. I wouldn't imagine need a FB account to see it, but you might. I'm always logged onto a FB account (even if it's just to post to some comment systems easier).

No workee for me either. I don't have a facebook account, since I'm not a 13-year-old girl.

Brad

Erik Setzer

On Monday, July 22, 2013 6:39:02 PM UTC-4, lunta...@gmail.com wrote:

> No workee for me either. I don't have a facebook account, since I'm not a 13-year-old girl.

Really? Ah, right, only 12-year-old boys would make such a lame joke.

I got Facebook originally because a job I was looking at wanted someone who could work with Facebook's app coding. Turned out I never had to do that, but every place I've worked has used Facebook for marketing and reaching customers. On a personal level, it lets me keep in touch with people I know easier than sending emails all the time, and I can also talk to other gamers in this area better. Our local gaming forum pretty much died because it was easier for people to talk on Facebook.

Granted, if you don't have any old friends you like to keep in touch with easily, or local gamers and/or stores you want to communicate with easier, I guess you wouldn't need anything like that. For those of us with social lives, or who like being able to reach out to a bunch of customers easily, it's pretty handy.

- Erik