(Abhijit V)

7/22/2004 2:10:00 AM

Guys, I was wondering whether there was any way to differentiate the
memory space of two different aspnet_wp processes. Unfortunately, they
seem to show up as a single aspnet_wp process in both perfmon and the
task manager.

Thanks,
Abhijit.
4 Answers

Manoj G [VB MVP]

???

If there are actually more than one instances of aspnet_wp.exe or w3wp.exe,
it will show up in Task Manger/ Perfmon with different PIDs

--
HTH,
Manoj G

"Abhijit V" <vabhijit@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Guys, I was wondering whether there was any way to differentiate the
> memory space of two different aspnet_wp processes. Unfortunately, they
> seem to show up as a single aspnet_wp process in both perfmon and the
> task manager.
>
> Thanks,
> Abhijit.

Adriano Trevisan

From what I understdand aspnet_wp process is managed differently by IIS.
You cannot run multiple processes on the same machine (the app isolation
flag is not supported).

This behavior is changed on Windows 2003 Server where you can specify this
kind of isolation.

"Abhijit V" <vabhijit@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Guys, I was wondering whether there was any way to differentiate the
> memory space of two different aspnet_wp processes. Unfortunately, they
> seem to show up as a single aspnet_wp process in both perfmon and the
> task manager.
>
> Thanks,
> Abhijit.

Jerry Pisk

Actually under IIS 5 there's an ISAPI extension running under whatever
isolation you set your app to that sends the requests to be processed by
that single asp_net process.

Jerry

"Adriano Trevisan" <trevisan.adriano_at_tin.it> wrote in message
> From what I understdand aspnet_wp process is managed differently by IIS.
> You cannot run multiple processes on the same machine (the app isolation
> flag is not supported).
>
> This behavior is changed on Windows 2003 Server where you can specify this
> kind of isolation.
>
> "Abhijit V" <vabhijit@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Guys, I was wondering whether there was any way to differentiate the
>> memory space of two different aspnet_wp processes. Unfortunately, they
>> seem to show up as a single aspnet_wp process in both perfmon and the
>> task manager.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Abhijit.

Adriano Trevisan

Jerry, this is true regarding the ISAPI DLL, but :

read here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetsec/html/SecN...

Separate Application domains within the worker process (one per IIS virtual
directory, or in other words, one per ASP.NET Web application or Web
service) are used to provide isolation.
This is in contrast to classic ASP, where the application protection level,
configured within the IIS metabase determined whether the ASP application
should execute in process with IIS (inetinfo.exe), out of process in a
dedicated instance of Dllhost.exe, or in a shared (pooled) instance of
Dllhost.exe.

Important The process isolation level setting within IIS has no affect
on the way ASP.NET Web applications are processed.
Adriano