Re: Button click with Remoting

Sahil Malik

6/7/2004 6:49:00 AM

John,

If every button click is throwing a remoting call, you are probably not
archiecting the application right.

Remoting emphasizes that you must use Chunky, not chatty interfaces, viz.
think of the disconnected model ADO.NET and .NET encourages, download all
that you might ever need as a dataset, or your custom object, and do all the
button pressing, tab switching UI changes etc. on the client, with the final
remoting call going when the user hits "Save".

Therefore, instead of remoting every single call, you now remote only two
calls.

Why is this a good architecture, 6 years back, it took 1/2 a second to ping
tokyo, and it took 1 hour to download 1 MEG from Tokyo.
Today, it takes 1/2 a second to ping tokyo, but 2 seconds to download 1 MEG.

Downloading tonnes extra is not a big deal, it is the repeated network calls
that is a big deal.

Hope that helps :)

- Sahil Malik
Independent Consultant