Re: Must remoting use the thread pool?

(Yan-Hong Huang[MS])

6/4/2004 9:16:00 AM

Hello Dan,

The short answer should be "Yes, remoting need use the thread pool".

However, we are not sure of the structure of the application and how remoting benefits you under this situation. Do you transfer the whole
content of the document from server to clients? If that, I think you can open the transferred content directly.

By the way, the remoting group is not a managed group yet. I suggest you post groups listed at http://msdn.microsoft.com/n.... So
you can get timely response from us. We didn't monitor unmanaged group yet. It seems that you can search all of posts in Microsoft groups in
that web page. However, only the groups listed there are managed ones. Also, please post using your MSDN no spam email alias.

Thanks very much.

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang
Microsoft Community Support

=?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=

Hi Yan-Hong,

Is that the short and long answer too? :-)

There is no transfer of any data from the server to the client. I
simply want to be able to call methods on native MFC objects
from managed code executed by the remoting server. These
MFC objects will only accept calls made from the same thread
they were created on, which in this case is the main UI thread
for the application.

I know there are various ways to forward the calls to the UI
thread from the thread pool threads, but that adds layers of
code to our server. It seems like a much better solution would
be to have the remoting code simply not use the thread pool
at all in this situation. Can I configure remoting to do this?

As you recommended, I've also posted this message to

microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

which I believe is managed.

Thanks,
Dan