Robin HOIZEY \(Hotmail\)

6/11/2004 9:12:00 AM

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to use an odbc connection to get the list of the available tabls
in my database. But I cant't find the right way to do this.

Can you help me ??

1 Answer

Paul Clement

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 21:12:33 -1000, "Robin HOIZEY \(Hotmail\)" <r_hoizey@hotmail.com> wrote:

¤ Hi everybody,
¤
¤ I'm trying to use an odbc connection to get the list of the available tabls
¤ in my database. But I cant't find the right way to do this.

You don't indicate what type of database you are working with but the ODBC Provider for .NET doesn't
support the retrieval of schema information. Use the OLEDB Provider for .NET instead.

Dim DatabaseConnection As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection
Dim SchemaTable As DataTable

DatabaseConnection.ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
"Data Source=E:\My Documents\db1.mdb"

DatabaseConnection.Open()

SchemaTable =
DatabaseConnection.GetOleDbSchemaTable(System.Data.OleDb.OleDbSchemaGuid.Tables, _
New Object() {Nothing, Nothing, Nothing, Nothing})

Dim RowCount As Int32
For RowCount = 0 To SchemaTable.Rows.Count - 1
Console.WriteLine(SchemaTable.Rows(RowCount)!TABLE_NAME.ToString)
Next RowCount

DataGrid1.DataSource = SchemaTable

DatabaseConnection.Close()

Paul ~~~ pclement@ameritech.net