Rails module ideas...

Hal E. Fulton

5/13/2005 3:00:00 PM

I talked with a person recently who was looking into using
Rails for a new site... he abandoned the idea (for now) with
these comments:

> I have spent the last few days looking at OpenACS. It uses aolserver and
> tcl which would absolutely not be my first choice but it seems to do
> everything I need. Also it is used by photo.net which is somewhat
> reassuring.
>
> I guess that one day rails will be used to build a similar framework and
> I look forward to switching. It appears that currently though, I would
> need to build a solution from a bunch of disparate rails apps and that
> it would take me forever just to get the db schema sorted out. OpenACS
> has a blog, faq, forums etc. all ready to go.

I knew if I quoted that here, it would light a fire under some people. ;)

It wouldn't be a bad idea to create a suite of interoperable themable
mini-apps like this. Anything like this in the works?

By "themable" I mean: It should be easy to create a common look-and-feel
in terms of graphics, etc. I suppose the use of templates and CSS already
covers most if not all of this. I haven't thought it through.

By "interoperable" I'm not sure what the Hal I mean. ;)

Cheers,
Hal

3 Answers

Andrew Stone

> It wouldn't be a bad idea to create a suite of interoperable themable
> mini-apps like this. Anything like this in the works?
>
> By "themable" I mean: It should be easy to create a common look-and-feel
> in terms of graphics, etc. I suppose the use of templates and CSS already
> covers most if not all of this. I haven't thought it through.

If I understand correctly, this is the exact sort of thing I'm working
on. Unfortunately, it's not an open source project. It's going to
contain a set of partials (? - still working out the details) such as
calendar, message board, etc... that will be available for each
client. The client will be able to use these partials (or not) in
their site. Of course there will be a system created for generating
custom headers/footers and entire pages along with a system for
managing fonts,colors,etc..(basically a css editor (for technically
challenged people) is what I have in mind at the moment).

Being that the other partials are very particular to my client, I
would be willing to open source a similar app containing the some of
the generic partials I will be creating. I would, of course, have to
get the client to agree on this, but I don't see where there would be
an issue. We have already discussed my affinity for open source and
this possibility.

As of now, I plan on completing his app by July 1st. This is a
secondary job for me, so I don't get to spend as much time as I would
like on this project.

-andy
--
Andrew Stone

Tobias Luetke

Different people, different requirements different frameworks.

However i understand that many of OpenACS devs are actually using
rails now and that the rails community gets a study stream of OpenACS
users. Could be nothing though...

--
Tobi
http://www.sn... - Snowboards that don't suck

Gary Keramidas

you array is one element "1,2,5,6,7,8"
instead of separate elements

if you're doing it like that, you'd have to use something like the split
function to separate the values
split(num(0),",")

try this with the code you just posted:
add this line
Dim num As Variant

comment out the for next loop lines

then click debug, add a watch and type in num
create a breakpoint on the message box line so the code stops

click the + sign next to num in the watch window. you have one element

once you've seen it, stop the code

now, do the same procedure with the code i posted below, you will have 6
elements

you're better off doing something like this

Sub test()
Dim i As Long, lResult As Long
Dim num As Variant
num = Array(1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8)
For i = LBound(num) To UBound(num)
lResult = lResult + Worksheets(num(i)).Range("A1").Value
Debug.Print lResult
Next
MsgBox lResult
End Sub