[ANN] Ruby Central, Inc. Donation and Pledge Site (including RubyConf sponsorship

dblack

Friday

Can we have at least partial control over how our donation is spent?

It would be nice to allocate x% of our donation to go to specific
projects we value and have the remaining y% decided by Ruby Central. To
keep things simple, x and y can be 50% each.

For example, it might be attractive for people to be able to say,
"here's $250, I'd like a portion of it to fund bounties for ruby-dl2,
wxruby-swig, or rubygems."

Glenn Parker

Friday wrote:
> Can we have at least partial control over how our donation is spent?

From my experience with charities and other non-profit organizations, I
would advise against this sort of user-driven allocation. An
unavoidable problem such schemes is that some categories always end up
way over-funded while others end up way under-funded. It's much better
to simply report how the funds were actually spent so that donors can
appreciate all the categories they are supporting.

--
Glenn Parker | glenn.parker-AT-comcast.net | <http://www.tetrafoi...

dblack

gabriele renzi

David A. Black ha scritto:
> Hi --
>
> On Sat, 14 May 2005, Friday wrote:
>
>> Can we have at least partial control over how our donation is spent?
>>
>> It would be nice to allocate x% of our donation to go to specific
>> projects we value and have the remaining y% decided by Ruby Central.
>> To keep things simple, x and y can be 50% each.
>>
>> For example, it might be attractive for people to be able to say,
>> "here's $250, I'd like a portion of it to fund bounties for ruby-dl2,
>> wxruby-swig, or rubygems."
>

> That isn't really practical, partly because it presupposes a
> particular kind of program ("bounties" in your example, but it could
> be almost anything) which may or may not be something we're involved
> in (or want to be, or even can be, involved in), and partly because
> from an adminstrative perspective it would potentially mean having to
> organize and set up a new program for every donation that came in.
>
> But if you're interested in funding a specific initiative, please
> contact us and we may well be able to develop a way to do it.

Instead of diverting part of the funds, what about setting up some kind
of "bounty management service" ?
I think just providing infrastructure to publish bounties and to make
contacts beetween promoters and applicants happen (ad leaving out
details such as payment, work verification etc..) up to the involved
people could be a reasonable thing, relieving RubyCentral of
administrative duties but still providing a single point of reference.

Chad Fowler

On 5/13/05, gabriele renzi <surrender_it@remove-yahoo.it> wrote:
> David A. Black ha scritto:
> > Hi --
> >
> > On Sat, 14 May 2005, Friday wrote:
> >
> >> Can we have at least partial control over how our donation is spent?
> >>
> >> It would be nice to allocate x% of our donation to go to specific
> >> projects we value and have the remaining y% decided by Ruby Central.
> >> To keep things simple, x and y can be 50% each.
> >>
> >> For example, it might be attractive for people to be able to say,
> >> "here's $250, I'd like a portion of it to fund bounties for ruby-dl2,
> >> wxruby-swig, or rubygems."
> >

> > That isn't really practical, partly because it presupposes a
> > particular kind of program ("bounties" in your example, but it could
> > be almost anything) which may or may not be something we're involved
> > in (or want to be, or even can be, involved in), and partly because
> > from an adminstrative perspective it would potentially mean having to
> > organize and set up a new program for every donation that came in.
> >
> > But if you're interested in funding a specific initiative, please
> > contact us and we may well be able to develop a way to do it.
> >

> Instead of diverting part of the funds, what about setting up some kind
> of "bounty management service" ?
> I think just providing infrastructure to publish bounties and to make
> contacts beetween promoters and applicants happen (ad leaving out
> details such as payment, work verification etc..) up to the involved
> people could be a reasonable thing, relieving RubyCentral of
> administrative duties but still providing a single point of reference.

Duly noted. We may do that some day.

--

Chad Fowler
http://chad...

james_b

Chad Fowler wrote:
> On 5/13/05, gabriele renzi <surrender_it@remove-yahoo.it> wrote:
>>Instead of diverting part of the funds, what about setting up some kind
>>of "bounty management service" ?
>>I think just providing infrastructure to publish bounties and to make
>>contacts beetween promoters and applicants happen (ad leaving out
>>details such as payment, work verification etc..) up to the involved
>>people could be a reasonable thing, relieving RubyCentral of
>>administrative duties but still providing a single point of reference.
>>

> Duly noted. We may do that some day.

Ruby bounty hunters!

Sweet.

James

Glenn Parker

gabriele renzi wrote:

> Instead of diverting part of the funds, what about setting up some kind
> of "bounty management service" ?

Not quite the same thing, but maybe interesting:
http://www.fun...

--
Glenn Parker | glenn.parker-AT-comcast.net | <http://www.tetrafoi...