ruby-dev summary 26090-26127

Takaaki Tateishi

5/12/2005 3:09:00 PM

Here is a ruby-dev summaries:

[ruby-dev:26090] expand include path by -I

Nakada proposed that a path given with the command line option '-I'
be expanded at startup. This affects a library search path when we
change a working directory using Dir.chdir and so on. This proposal
have been accepted by Matz.

[ruby-dev:26100] FileUtils.rm_rf security problem

Tanaka warned of FileUtils.rm_rf since a user possibly changes files
which someone tries to delete via symlink attack like the following
situations about Perl.

http://www.cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyw...

There are following two solutions.

* Use chdir.
* Change a permission to 700 and change a owner.

This issue is still open.

[ruby-dev:26107] variable name by -s

Nakada proposed to replace non-alphanumeric characters in global variables
defined by the command line option '-s' with '_', but Matz thought that such
a case results in an error. In the last result, '-' is replaced with '_' and
the other non-alphanumeric characters causes an error.

[ruby-dev:26122] ^C: [BUG] unknown node type 0

Tanaka raised a question about a file name "^C" that is
displayed when an error of "[BUG] unknown node type 0"
is caused. They haven't been decided how to fix it yet.

--
Takaaki Tateishi <ttate@ttsky.net>

5 Answers

nobu.nokada

At Fri, 13 May 2005 00:08:45 +0900,
Takaaki Tateishi wrote in [ruby-talk:142388]:
> [ruby-dev:26090] expand include path by -I
>
> Nakada proposed that a path given with the command line option '-I'
> be expanded at startup. This affects a library search path when we
> change a working directory using Dir.chdir and so on. This proposal
> have been accepted by Matz.

It is applied to only CVS trunk.

> [ruby-dev:26122] ^C: [BUG] unknown node type 0
>
> Tanaka raised a question about a file name "^C" that is
> displayed when an error of "[BUG] unknown node type 0"
> is caused. They haven't been decided how to fix it yet.

It is fixed in recent (today's) versions of both 1.8 and 1.9,
but more useful info would be better.

--
Nobu Nakada

Ara.T.Howard

Tanaka Akira

In article <Pine.LNX.4.62.0505120944380.9643@harp.ngdc.noaa.gov>,
Ara.T.Howard@noaa.gov writes:

>> There are following two solutions.
>>
>> * Use chdir.
>> * Change a permission to 700 and change a owner.
>
> what about making a tmpdir of 0700, moving to that, then cleaning the dir
> under the tmp dir, and removing to tmpdir? i think just doing a chmod will
> fail on nfs since it caches inode information...

They are different ideas. They are not expected to combine.
--
Tanaka Akira

Ara.T.Howard

Tanaka Akira

In article <Pine.LNX.4.62.0505121149220.9643@harp.ngdc.noaa.gov>,
Ara.T.Howard@noaa.gov writes:

> maybe i was unclear - i meant:
>
> mkdir dir_to_be_removed.tmp
>
> chmod 0700 dir_to_be_removed.tmp
>
> mv dir_to_be_removed dir_to_be_removed.tmp # avoid race condition, ignore
> # errors here
>
> rm -rf dir_to_be_removed.tmp/dir_to_be_removed
>
> rm -rf dir_to_be_removed.tmp/
>

> - no race, even on nfs

I'm not sure about NFS issue.

> - no security issue since all chmod'ing done during removal will happen
> under a restricted directory

A malicious user may have a process which current working directory is
a directory in the restricted directory.

Is the restriction enough to be secure?
--
Tanaka Akira