Re: ruby vs. java?

Steve Callaway

5/12/2005 5:00:00 AM

--- James Edward Gray II <james@grayproductions.net>
wrote:
> On May 11, 2005, at 5:33 AM, Steve Callaway wrote:
>
> > Conversely if you find that the code is not
> available
> > (or not available at a price which you are
> prepared to
> > pay) then I would look very closely at ruby as the
> > best fit. It is fast...
>
> I hope you were talking about coding speed here and
> not execution
> speed. I work with several languages and I'm pretty
> sure Ruby is the
> slowest (execution). Java is definitely faster at
> most things and
> even Perl is significantly quicker in my
> experiments.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I adore Ruby. I do believe it's
> very fast to
> code in, but for execution speed, well, there's a
> reason we're very
> excited about YARV. :)
>
> James Edward Gray II

I wouldn't know since I never actually sat down to
benchmark anything in ruby, but in my experience it is
fast enough to do the /extremely/ complex
configuration of the server setup for a /very/ large
Scandinavian bank without even giving pause for
reflection. Fast I guess is a relative concept, but my
users love it.

Rgds

Steve Callaway

Stvee