Problems with rubytalk.com

Wes Moxam

5/10/2005 4:18:00 PM

I was searching for some ruby info via google, and clicked a link to
an article archived on rubytalk.com and got a placeholder/advertising
page instead. Is it possible that the domain got jacked?

Here's the output of nslookup on my machine:

> rubytalk.com
Non-authoritative answer:
rubytalk.com internet address = 63.251.83.53
rubytalk.com nameserver = dns3.name-services.com
rubytalk.com nameserver = dns4.name-services.com
rubytalk.com nameserver = dns5.name-services.com
rubytalk.com nameserver = dns1.name-services.com
rubytalk.com nameserver = dns2.name-services.com

-- Wes

9 Answers

Austin Ziegler

On 5/10/05, Wes Moxam <wildwildwes@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was searching for some ruby info via google, and clicked a link to
> an article archived on rubytalk.com and got a placeholder/advertising
> page instead. Is it possible that the domain got jacked?

You want ruby-talk.org instead.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com
* Alternate: austin@halostatue.ca

Wes Moxam

On 5/10/05, Austin Ziegler <halostatue@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/10/05, Wes Moxam <wildwildwes@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I was searching for some ruby info via google, and clicked a link to
> > an article archived on rubytalk.com and got a placeholder/advertising
> > page instead. Is it possible that the domain got jacked?
>
> You want ruby-talk.org instead.

Ok, that works. But rubytalk.com must have been in use at some point.
Google searches find messages on that site, ex:

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=site%3Arubytalk.com&btnG=Search...

I ended up finding what I wanted through newsgroups, but this may not
be so good for newbies.

-- Wes

Marcel Molina Jr.

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 01:38:39AM +0900, Wes Moxam wrote:
> On 5/10/05, Austin Ziegler <halostatue@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 5/10/05, Wes Moxam <wildwildwes@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I was searching for some ruby info via google, and clicked a link to
> > > an article archived on rubytalk.com and got a placeholder/advertising
> > > page instead. Is it possible that the domain got jacked?
> >
> > You want ruby-talk.org instead.
>
> Ok, that works. But rubytalk.com must have been in use at some point.
> Google searches find messages on that site, ex:
>
> http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=site%3Arubytalk.com&btnG=Search...
>
> I ended up finding what I wanted through newsgroups, but this may not
> be so good for newbies.

rubytalk.com used to point to rubytalk.org. It expired and was not renewed,
so now it is gone.

marcel
--
Marcel Molina Jr. <marcel@vernix.org>

Don Guillett

Just send the email
--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
"Mak" <Mak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Could you pls guide me how to access xltraders-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
> step
> by step? Thanks in advance.
>
> "Don Guillett" wrote:
>
>> goto
>> xltraders-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
>> and look in the files section. There are several free files.
>> I have a couple of free files under author donalb36
>>

>> --
>> Don Guillett
>> Microsoft MVP Excel
>> SalesAid Software
>> dguillett1@austin.rr.com
>> "Mak" <Mak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi all, I want to get web content into Excel and store it to variables
>> > (not
>> > in the Cells), how can I do it? I know WinHttp can help but I do not
>> > know
>> > how
>> > to 'include' WinHttp in Excel. Please help.

MaK

I have downloaded some files, for those VBA that I can view, they are using
QueryTable with Destination = a cell or range. But I want to store the web
content in variables first. Any hints?

"Don Guillett" wrote:

> Just send the email
> --
> Don Guillett
> Microsoft MVP Excel
> SalesAid Software
> dguillett1@austin.rr.com
> "Mak" <Mak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Could you pls guide me how to access xltraders-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
> > step
> > by step? Thanks in advance.
> >
> > "Don Guillett" wrote:
> >
> >> goto
> >> xltraders-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
> >> and look in the files section. There are several free files.
> >> I have a couple of free files under author donalb36
> >>

> >> --
> >> Don Guillett
> >> Microsoft MVP Excel
> >> SalesAid Software
> >> dguillett1@austin.rr.com
> >> "Mak" <Mak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Don Guillett

What you want is easy to do. Post your code and/or send your workbook to my
address below.

--
>I have downloaded some files, for those VBA that I can view, they are using
> QueryTable with Destination = a cell or range. But I want to store the
> web
> content in variables first. Any hints?
>
> "Don Guillett" wrote:
>

>> Just send the email
>> --
>> Don Guillett
>> Microsoft MVP Excel
>> SalesAid Software
>> dguillett1@austin.rr.com
>> "Mak" <Mak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Could you pls guide me how to access
>> > xltraders-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
>> > step
>> > by step? Thanks in advance.

MaK

Don,
I have made use of Windows API and it works now. Thanks for your help anyway.
Mak.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

> What you want is easy to do. Post your code and/or send your workbook to my
> address below.
>
> --
> Don Guillett
> Microsoft MVP Excel
> SalesAid Software
> dguillett1@austin.rr.com
> "Mak" <Mak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have downloaded some files, for those VBA that I can view, they are using
> > QueryTable with Destination = a cell or range. But I want to store the
> > web
> > content in variables first. Any hints?
> >
> > "Don Guillett" wrote:
> >

> >> Just send the email
> >> --
> >> Don Guillett
> >> Microsoft MVP Excel
> >> SalesAid Software
> >> dguillett1@austin.rr.com
> >> "Mak" <Mak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Don Guillett

The archives would appreciate your final solution to be posted

--
> Don,
> I have made use of Windows API and it works now. Thanks for your help
> anyway.
> Mak.
>
> "Don Guillett" wrote:
>
>> What you want is easy to do. Post your code and/or send your workbook to
>> my
>> address below.
>>
>> --
>> Don Guillett
>> Microsoft MVP Excel
>> SalesAid Software
>> dguillett1@austin.rr.com
>> "Mak" <Mak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have downloaded some files, for those VBA that I can view, they are
>> >using
>> > QueryTable with Destination = a cell or range. But I want to store the
>> > web
>> > content in variables first. Any hints?

MaK

Hi all,
Pls find the code:

Const INTERNET_OPEN_TYPE_DIRECT = 1
Const INTERNET_OPEN_TYPE_PROXY = 3
Const INTERNET_FLAG_RELOAD = &H80000000
Private Declare Function InternetOpen Lib "wininet" Alias "InternetOpenA"
(ByVal sAgent As String, ByVal lAccessType As Long, ByVal sProxyName As
String, ByVal sProxyBypass As String, ByVal lFlags As Long) As Long
Private Declare Function InternetCloseHandle Lib "wininet" (ByVal hInet As
Long) As Integer
Private Declare Function InternetReadFile Lib "wininet" (ByVal hFile As
Long, ByVal sBuffer As String, ByVal lNumBytesToRead As Long,
lNumberOfBytesRead As Long) As Integer
Private Declare Function InternetOpenUrl Lib "wininet" Alias
"InternetOpenUrlA" (ByVal hInternetSession As Long, ByVal lpszUrl As String,
ByVal lpszHeaders As String, ByVal dwHeadersLength As Long, ByVal dwFlags As
Long, ByVal dwContext As Long) As Long

Private Declare Function InternetAttemptConnect Lib "wininet" (ByVal
dwReserved As Long) As Long

Sub Fetch()
Dim tTxt As String

tTxt = DownloadPage(Range("URL"))

End Sub

Function DownloadPage(sURL As String, Optional Length As Long) As String

Dim hOpen As Long, hFile As Long, sBuffer As String, Ret As Long

If Length = 0 Then Length = 10000

sBuffer = Space(Length)
hOpen = InternetOpen("", INTERNET_OPEN_TYPE_DIRECT, vbNullString,
vbNullString, 0)
hFile = InternetOpenUrl(hOpen, sURL, "", 0, INTERNET_FLAG_RELOAD, ByVal
0&)
InternetReadFile hFile, sBuffer, Length, Ret
InternetCloseHandle hFile
InternetCloseHandle hOpen
DownloadPage = Left$(sBuffer, Ret)

End Function