[ANN] Redesign 2005, Round Two

why the lucky stiff

5/10/2005 6:38:00 AM

I'm happy to say that our little redesign team has come to accord on a
design and it is now presented on the redesign blog:

http://redhanded.hobix.com/red...

We hope you will comment on the blog itself rather than here on
Ruby-Talk, in order that our team doesn't loose what you say in an
impending ocean.

With a paraffin banjo on my knee,

_why

76 Answers

gabriele renzi

why the lucky stiff ha scritto:
> I'm happy to say that our little redesign team has come to accord on a
> design and it is now presented on the redesign blog:
>
> http://redhanded.hobix.com/red...
>
> We hope you will comment on the blog itself rather than here on
> Ruby-Talk, in order that our team doesn't loose what you say in an
> impending ocean.
>
> With a paraffin banjo on my knee,
>
> _why

I responde here and not on the blog since this message is not really
related to the Redesign, but more to VIT in general.

Now that there is (mostly) agreement on a ruby icon, I think it would be
great to come up with some nice images to put on our own websites/blog.
I'm not just thinking of "ruby powered" images but also something like
"Ruby Developer", "I Love Ruby", "Ruby Contributor" and such on the
lines of the mono gif[1]. What do people think of this?

[1]
http://www.mono-project.com/files/9/9f/Mono-contributor-...

pat eyler

On 5/10/05, gabriele renzi <surrender_it@remove-yahoo.it> wrote:
> I responde here and not on the blog since this message is not really
> related to the Redesign, but more to VIT in general.
>
> Now that there is (mostly) agreement on a ruby icon, I think it would be
> great to come up with some nice images to put on our own websites/blog.
> I'm not just thinking of "ruby powered" images but also something like
> "Ruby Developer", "I Love Ruby", "Ruby Contributor" and such on the
> lines of the mono gif[1]. What do people think of this?

I think that's a great idea. I'd also like to see a logo usable by Ruby
Brigades as well.

--
thanks,
-pate

james_b

gabriele renzi wrote:
> Now that there is (mostly) agreement on a ruby icon,

How do you know that?

I find the literal gem image boring and impractical (in contrast to Ruby
itself), and I may in fact be in the minority, but I don't know how I or
anyone would really know that.

And I really hope to steer clear of any sort of "official" Ruby logo.

James

Ilias Lazaridis

why the lucky stiff wrote:
> I'm happy to say that our little redesign team has come to accord on a
> design and it is now presented on the redesign blog:
>
> http://redhanded.hobix.com/red...

The design looks much better than the existing one, and should replace
it ther earliest possible.

you should post a link to demo-publish-location, thus it can be
evaluated 'live'.

some suggestions:
* reduce header height (and image size)
* "A programmers best friend" sounds inprofessional
=> launch a community
* round the top left corners of the left boxes
* remove the buttom-left rounded corner of the code-box
* remove _any_ insider terminology on the main page
* decouple product from project
http://laz.../core/project/pr...

--
http://laz...

threeve.org

On 5/10/05, James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com> wrote:
> gabriele renzi wrote:
> > Now that there is (mostly) agreement on a ruby icon,
>
> How do you know that?
>
> I find the literal gem image boring and impractical (in contrast to Ruby
> itself), and I may in fact be in the minority, but I don't know how I or
> anyone would really know that.
>
> And I really hope to steer clear of any sort of "official" Ruby logo.
>
> James

Yea, I am not a fan of that logo either. I personally like Michel
Martens' version that looks like a red square with a thick red border
and the top-right corner is hacked off to give a sort of silhouette of
a ruby. Not that John's isn't a lovely image however.

John's image would also be a difficult one to reproduce nicely on
anything other than a computer screen, or at smaller sizes. It's got
that distinct Photoshop'd look to it.

But great work by all on the redesign!

Jason

Mark Hubbart

On 5/10/05, Ilias Lazaridis <ilias@lazaridis.com> wrote:
> why the lucky stiff wrote:
> > I'm happy to say that our little redesign team has come to accord on a
> > design and it is now presented on the redesign blog:
> >
> > http://redhanded.hobix.com/red...
>
> The design looks much better than the existing one, and should replace
> it ther earliest possible.
>
> you should post a link to demo-publish-location, thus it can be
> evaluated 'live'.

I wholeheartedly agree to that. I can't wait till this rolls out. It's
like watching my neighbors landscape.

> some suggestions:
> * reduce header height (and image size)
> * "A programmers best friend" sounds inprofessional

I like it. One of the major tenets of Ruby is that it "makes coding
fun". I think it's a good idea to give that impression on the main
page of the main site. A little unprofessional, perhaps, but so are
recursive acronyms like PHP. I remember trying to explain that to my
boss once... He was not impressed :)

> => launch a community
> * round the top left corners of the left boxes
> * remove the buttom-left rounded corner of the code-box
> * remove _any_ insider terminology on the main page
> * decouple product from project
> http://lazaridis.com/core/project/pr...

It looks to me like the current design is entirely about the product.
I don't see a single link inviting people to work on the actual ruby
project. It all seems to be resources for working with the actual Ruby
product. Download it, read about it, get help with it, see what others
have written about it...

I don't think that any project resources should actually be available
on this page. We don't want people to work on Ruby unless they're
familiar enough with it to find out for themselves how to participate
in the project. Even that is small barrier to entry; read ruby-talk
for a couple weeks and you'll probably know how to go about
contributing to the project.

cheers,
Mark

gabriele renzi

James Britt ha scritto:
> gabriele renzi wrote:
>
>> Now that there is (mostly) agreement on a ruby icon,
>

> How do you know that?

I don't I just noticed this was the one that was chosen for the second
round of the redesign.

> I find the literal gem image boring and impractical (in contrast to Ruby
> itself), and I may in fact be in the minority, but I don't know how I or
> anyone would really know that.
>
> And I really hope to steer clear of any sort of "official" Ruby logo.

I don't ever thought of an "official" logo.
Notice I did not even said "logo" but "icon" on purpose since I liked
the more logoish things in other designs :)
There is obviously room for different images on the same theme (I think
a common *theme* is cool, but obviously people will always remain free
to use whatevere image they like)

Ilias Lazaridis

Mark Hubbart wrote:
> On 5/10/05, Ilias Lazaridis <ilias@lazaridis.com> wrote:
>
>>why the lucky stiff wrote:
>>
>>>I'm happy to say that our little redesign team has come to accord on a
>>>design and it is now presented on the redesign blog:
>>>
>>> http://redhanded.hobix.com/red...
>>
>>The design looks much better than the existing one, and should replace
>>it ther earliest possible.
>>
>>you should post a link to demo-publish-location, thus it can be
>>evaluated 'live'.
>
> I wholeheartedly agree to that. I can't wait till this rolls out. It's
> like watching my neighbors landscape.

ok

>>some suggestions:
>> * reduce header height (and image size)
>> * "A programmers best friend" sounds inprofessional
>
> I like it. One of the major tenets of Ruby is that it "makes coding
> fun". I think it's a good idea to give that impression on the main
> page of the main site.
[...]

"Coding Efficiency / Productivity" must be pointed out, in a
straightforward, CTO / CEO capable tenor.

something like "Ruby - Get Productivity Back"

>> => launch a community

correction: "launch a community discussion on this"

>> * round the top left corners of the left boxes
>> * remove the buttom-left rounded corner of the code-box
>> * remove _any_ insider terminology on the main page
>> * decouple product from project
>> http://laz.../core/project/pr...
>

> It looks to me like the current design is entirely about the product.
[...]

> I don't think that any project resources should actually be available
> on this page.
[...]

A link "Project" belongs to the main page.

.

--
http://laz...

Jim Weirich

James Britt said:
> I find the literal gem image boring and impractical (in contrast to Ruby
> itself), and I may in fact be in the minority, but I don't know how I or
> anyone would really know that.

The icon is striking and eyecatching, I tend to like it (at least how its
used on the page).

My only comment is that I have never seen a picture of an actual ruby gem
in that particular shape. I've seen ovals, circles and pear shapes
(amoung others), but nothing in that red diamond shape.

It probably doesn't matter, I doubt anybody really cares, but it does
bother me a bit.

BTW, I'm no expert on gems. I'm just going on what I've seen by googling
the topic. I would be thrilled if someone pointed out that Rubies do
actually occur in that shape.

--
-- Jim Weirich jim@weirichhouse.org http://onest...

Bill Guindon

On 5/10/05, Jim Weirich <jim@weirichhouse.org> wrote:

> James Britt said:
> > I find the literal gem image boring and impractical (in contrast to Ruby
> > itself), and I may in fact be in the minority, but I don't know how I or
> > anyone would really know that.
>
> The icon is striking and eyecatching, I tend to like it (at least how its
> used on the page).
>
> My only comment is that I have never seen a picture of an actual ruby gem
> in that particular shape. I've seen ovals, circles and pear shapes
> (amoung others), but nothing in that red diamond shape.
>
> It probably doesn't matter, I doubt anybody really cares, but it does
> bother me a bit.
>
> BTW, I'm no expert on gems. I'm just going on what I've seen by googling
> the topic. I would be thrilled if someone pointed out that Rubies do
> actually occur in that shape.

googled "ruby diamond cut". that first link looks like the "Lucky
Charms" page :)

http://www.sndgems.com/rubyedu...
http://www.raru.com/images/gemstones/93ruby...
http://64.70.201.108/ruby-bands-...