Hang when updating Gem source index

Nick Triantos

Just installed Ruby 1.8.2-15 (win32 version) on a new Windows XP pc.
When I try to 'gem install' some packages, the app hangs / gets stuck
waiting as below.
C:\Documents and Settings\nick\Desktop>gem install rails --remote
Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rub...
--> gets stuck here, I let it run for hours with no response

I've seen others reporting the issue here and elsewhere on the web, too,
but I haven't seen any solutions that work. I did update
rubygems-update to 0.8.10, that didn't change anything. Other gem cmds
(gem update, gem list, etc. do the same thing, when they get to this
same point.

Any ideas? Anything I can do to debug this? Is there a trace cmd or
something like that in ruby?

thanks all,
-Nick

3 Answers

Assaph Mehr

> C:\Documents and Settings\nick\Desktop>gem install rails --remote
> Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
> Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rub...
> --> gets stuck here, I let it run for hours with no response

a. Updating the Gems source index can take a long time. Try and wait a
few (more) *minutes*.

b. Are you behind a proxy? You should set the --http-proxy command line
option (or .gemrc file option).

HTH,
Assaph

Chad Fowler

On 5/9/05, Nick Triantos <nick-gmane@triantos.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just installed Ruby 1.8.2-15 (win32 version) on a new Windows XP pc.
> When I try to 'gem install' some packages, the app hangs / gets stuck
> waiting as below.
> C:\Documents and Settings\nick\Desktop>gem install rails --remote
> Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
> Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rub...
> --> gets stuck here, I let it run for hours with no response
>
> I've seen others reporting the issue here and elsewhere on the web, too,
> but I haven't seen any solutions that work. I did update
> rubygems-update to 0.8.10, that didn't change anything. Other gem cmds
> (gem update, gem list, etc. do the same thing, when they get to this
> same point.
>
> Any ideas? Anything I can do to debug this? Is there a trace cmd or
> something like that in ruby?

Hi Nick. Are you able to download the gem source manually with your
browser? It's at http://gems.rub.../yaml.Z.

You could try using the tracer library, but it will give you a ton of output:

ruby -rtracer /path/to/gem install rails --remote > outputfile.txt

After waiting a couple of minutes, the last few lines of
outputfile.txt would probably be helpful in determining where the
program is hanging.
--

Chad Fowler
http://chad...

Nick Triantos

Hi Chad (and Assaph),

Yes, I actually started it updating, went to dinner, and then came back
to it 2 hours later. It was still at that point, and there was no
activity on the link.

I am behind a linksys DSL firewall, but connections that start from my
machine are ok (no proxies, etc.). I'm now trying it from another PC on
my network (which did work before), and that one's stuck at that same
spot, too. If I manually download the gems and then to a local install,
they work fine.

thanks for your help,
-Nick