Stats comp.lang.ruby (last 7 days

Balwinder S Dheeman

5/9/2005 12:38:00 AM

The top 10 accounted for:
4.13% of the posters
28.61% of the articles
30.31% of the bytes

Averages:
4.26 articles / poster
2.23 kbytes / article
9.48 kbytes / poster

90 people posted for the first time this period.
They went on to post 184 articles altogether

The new posters accounted for:
37.19% of the posters
17.85% of the articles
16.51% of the bytes

Top 10 subjects for the period:

posts kbytes subject
55 122.8 [RCR] Object#inside_metaclass?
43 110.7 RCR 303: nil should accept missing methods and return ni
37 75.2 [ETYMOLOGY] - Sterile Classes / Sterile Meta Classes
35 87.7 object reference handle (like perl's reference to scalar
31 68.2 Typo-checking instead of static typing
28 65.0 Bug Tracker
24 52.0 "Bounty" approach for small pieces of code?
21 51.9 Ruby, Rails and now og
21 48.2 [ANN] traits-0.0.0
18 43.3 [ANN] Ruby Editor Plugin for jEdit 0.6 - method completi

1031 articles on 212 subjects
867 were followups (84.09%)
0 were crossposts (0.00%)

2294.4 kbytes total
headers: 1104.9kb 48.16%
quoted text: 366.1kb 15.96%
original text: 713.0kb 31.08%
signatures: 40.5kb 1.77%

Averages:
4.86 articles / subjetc
2.23 kbytes / article
10.82 kbytes / subject

Postings per weekday:

Day posts
Monday 102 **********
Tuesday 170 *****************
Wednesday 187 *******************
Thursday 155 ****************
Friday 166 *****************
Saturday 134 *************
Sunday 117 ************
(*=10 posts)

Top 10 newsreader agents used (accumulated):

posts newsreader users
713 (69.16%) ruby-talk 176 72.73%
103 ( 9.99%) thunderbird 19 7.85%
68 ( 6.60%) g2 26 10.74%
50 ( 4.85%) noaa 1 0.41%
43 ( 4.17%) outlook 6 2.48%
10 ( 0.97%) knode 6 2.48%
10 ( 0.97%) pan 4 1.65%
10 ( 0.97%) tin 1 0.41%
7 ( 0.68%) mozilla 2 0.83%
6 ( 0.58%) trn 1 0.41%

17 different agents have been used (versions unaccounted).

DISCLAIMER
Please, take these stats with a dash of salt, quantity might not always
imply any quality.

Have a lot ..., lots of fun!

14 Answers

Jim Freeze

* Balwinder Singh Dheeman <bsd.SANSPAM@cto.homelinux.net> [2005-05-09 09:44:22 +0900]:

> Stats comp.lang.ruby (last 7 days)
> Top 10 posters for the period:
>
> rank posts kbytes name <address>
> 1 50 132.3 Ara.T.Howard <Ara.T.Howard@noaa.gov>
> 2 50 102.7 Ilias Lazaridis <ilias@lazaridis.com>
> 3 34 80.2 David A. Black <dblack@wobblini.net>
> 4 29 82.6 Austin Ziegler <halostatue@gmail.com>
> 5 27 65.7 Robert Klemme <bob.news@gmx.net>
> 6 27 53.1 Joe Van Dyk <joevandyk@gmail.com>
> 7 21 49.9 James Edward Gray II <james@grayproductions.net>
> 8 20 36.1 James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com>
> 9 19 46.5 Logan Capaldo <logancapaldo@gmail.com>
> 10 18 46.4 Mark Hubbart <discordantus@gmail.com>
> ----- ------
> 295 695.3 Total for top 10

When this was first published, I thought, wow this is cool.
But, since then I have been reading a book called Freakonomics.
And now, well, I wonder if this email provides an incentive
(that did not previously exist) for those seeking public
recognition, to post 'junk' so their name appears near the
top of the stats.

Anyway, just wondering...

--
Jim Freeze

Ryan Leavengood

Jim Freeze wrote:

> When this was first published, I thought, wow this is cool.
> But, since then I have been reading a book called Freakonomics.
> And now, well, I wonder if this email provides an incentive
> (that did not previously exist) for those seeking public
> recognition, to post 'junk' so their name appears near the
> top of the stats.
>
> Anyway, just wondering...

I had the same thought. In fact I need to post more so I can get in the
top 10, woohoo! And here is another one :)

Ryan

P.S. Look at me! Look at me!

Jim Freeze

* Ryan Leavengood <mrcode@netrox.net> [2005-05-09 10:15:29 +0900]:

> I had the same thought. In fact I need to post more so I can get in the
> top 10, woohoo! And here is another one :)
>
> Ryan
>
> P.S. Look at me! Look at me!

LOL.
In fact, I'm still laughing.

BTW, I'm one up on you now. :)

--
Jim Freeze

dblack

james_b

Jim Freeze wrote:
>> 8 20 36.1 James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com>

> When this was first published, I thought, wow this is cool.
> But, since then I have been reading a book called Freakonomics.
> And now, well, I wonder if this email provides an incentive
> (that did not previously exist) for those seeking public
> recognition, to post 'junk' so their name appears near the
> top of the stats.
>
> Anyway, just wondering...

Others might be thinking they should spend more time working.

James

Damn. *This* message will get counted, too.

Hal E. Fulton

Ryan Leavengood wrote:
> Jim Freeze wrote:
>

>> When this was first published, I thought, wow this is cool.
>> But, since then I have been reading a book called Freakonomics.
>> And now, well, I wonder if this email provides an incentive
>> (that did not previously exist) for those seeking public
>> recognition, to post 'junk' so their name appears near the
>> top of the stats.
>>
>> Anyway, just wondering...
>

> I had the same thought. In fact I need to post more so I can get in the
> top 10, woohoo! And here is another one :)
>
> Ryan
>
> P.S. Look at me! Look at me!

Heh heh. Could we have a "bottom 10" list as well?

Hal

Balwinder S Dheeman

On 05/09/2005 06:39 AM, Jim Freeze wrote:
> * Balwinder Singh Dheeman <bsd.SANSPAM@cto.homelinux.net> [2005-05-09 09:44:22 +0900]:
>

>>Stats comp.lang.ruby (last 7 days)
>>Top 10 posters for the period:
>>
>>rank posts kbytes name <address>
>> 1 50 132.3 Ara.T.Howard <Ara.T.Howard@noaa.gov>
>> 2 50 102.7 Ilias Lazaridis <ilias@lazaridis.com>
>> 3 34 80.2 David A. Black <dblack@wobblini.net>
>> 4 29 82.6 Austin Ziegler <halostatue@gmail.com>
>> 5 27 65.7 Robert Klemme <bob.news@gmx.net>
>> 6 27 53.1 Joe Van Dyk <joevandyk@gmail.com>
>> 7 21 49.9 James Edward Gray II <james@grayproductions.net>
>> 8 20 36.1 James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com>
>> 9 19 46.5 Logan Capaldo <logancapaldo@gmail.com>
>> 10 18 46.4 Mark Hubbart <discordantus@gmail.com>
>> ----- ------
>> 295 695.3 Total for top 10
>

> When this was first published, I thought, wow this is cool.
> But, since then I have been reading a book called Freakonomics.
> And now, well, I wonder if this email provides an incentive
> (that did not previously exist) for those seeking public
> recognition, to post 'junk' so their name appears near the
> top of the stats.

Yes, agreed.

> Anyway, just wondering...

I OTOH think optimistically, these stats will also provide us an
informations to locate and avoid such trolls.

--
Dr Balwinder Singh Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
CLLO (Chief Linux Learning Officer) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192

james_b

Dr Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:
> I OTOH think optimistically, these stats will also provide us an
> informations to locate and avoid such trolls.

That's right, Ara. We're on to you!

:)

James

Robert Klemme

"Dr Balwinder S Dheeman" <bsd.SANSPAM@cto.homelinux.net> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:8vu2l2-lgv.ln1@news.sebs.org.in...
> On 05/09/2005 06:39 AM, Jim Freeze wrote:
>> * Balwinder Singh Dheeman <bsd.SANSPAM@cto.homelinux.net> [2005-05-09
>> 09:44:22 +0900]:
>>

>>>Stats comp.lang.ruby (last 7 days)
>>>Top 10 posters for the period:
>>>
>>>rank posts kbytes name <address>
>>> 1 50 132.3 Ara.T.Howard <Ara.T.Howard@noaa.gov>
>>> 2 50 102.7 Ilias Lazaridis <ilias@lazaridis.com>
>>> 3 34 80.2 David A. Black <dblack@wobblini.net>
>>> 4 29 82.6 Austin Ziegler <halostatue@gmail.com>
>>> 5 27 65.7 Robert Klemme <bob.news@gmx.net>
>>> 6 27 53.1 Joe Van Dyk <joevandyk@gmail.com>
>>> 7 21 49.9 James Edward Gray II <james@grayproductions.net>
>>> 8 20 36.1 James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com>
>>> 9 19 46.5 Logan Capaldo <logancapaldo@gmail.com>
>>> 10 18 46.4 Mark Hubbart <discordantus@gmail.com>
>>> ----- ------
>>> 295 695.3 Total for top 10
>>

>> When this was first published, I thought, wow this is cool.
>> But, since then I have been reading a book called Freakonomics.
>> And now, well, I wonder if this email provides an incentive
>> (that did not previously exist) for those seeking public
>> recognition, to post 'junk' so their name appears near the
>> top of the stats.
>
> Yes, agreed.
>
>> Anyway, just wondering...
>
> I OTOH think optimistically, these stats will also provide us an
> informations to locate and avoid such trolls.

Hm, honestly, I don't think so. First, your stats come after the fact but
more important, how do you tanslate quantity into a troll indicator? I'd
say we need at least more sophisticated figures for that (text pattern
analysis or whatever)... :-) Apart from that, usually you can detect them
well by just looking at their articles.

And still ignorance is the best way to cope with them.

Kind regards

robert

jm

On 09/05/2005, at 4:04 PM, Robert Klemme wrote:

>>> When this was first published, I thought, wow this is cool.
>>> But, since then I have been reading a book called Freakonomics.
>>> And now, well, I wonder if this email provides an incentive
>>> (that did not previously exist) for those seeking public
>>> recognition, to post 'junk' so their name appears near the
>>> top of the stats.
>>
>> Yes, agreed.
>>
>>> Anyway, just wondering...
>>
>> I OTOH think optimistically, these stats will also provide us an
>> informations to locate and avoid such trolls.
>
> Hm, honestly, I don't think so. First, your stats come after the fact
> but more important, how do you tanslate quantity into a troll
> indicator? I'd say we need at least more sophisticated figures for
> that (text pattern analysis or whatever)... :-) Apart from that,
> usually you can detect them well by just looking at their articles.

Anyone care to give the new classifier a go at this? See if it can
evaluate the fitness of the threads for "useful content" or some other
classification system. I'll leave it to someone else's imagination as
to what constitutes fit. You could also then come up with a thread or
post rank/score which could be added up for each post the author makes.
This would mean that people with a good post score would be more likely
to be read than those with a low post score who would be ranked lower
in such a weighted stats systems.

J.