Analysis of IORCC Entries?

Ryan Leavengood

5/8/2005 10:26:00 PM

So, I was been browsing http://iorcc.d... and looking at the 2005
entries for the International Obfuscated Ruby Code Contest (IORCC), and
in the process I've cleaned-up and have a solid understanding of several
of the entries. Would anyone be interested in reading an analysis and
clean-up of these programs, or is that an exercise best left for the reader?

I suppose you could say this was like Ruby Quiz #26 (Code Cleaning),
with me doing the cleaning instead of James.

I find it quite interesting figuring them out, sort of like solving a
puzzle, but maybe others would just like to see how the "magic" happens.

Let me know,
Ryan

4 Answers

Florian Groß

Ryan Leavengood wrote:

> So, I was been browsing http://iorcc.d... and looking at the 2005
> entries for the International Obfuscated Ruby Code Contest (IORCC), and
> in the process I've cleaned-up and have a solid understanding of several
> of the entries. Would anyone be interested in reading an analysis and
> clean-up of these programs, or is that an exercise best left for the
> reader?

I've done these and will post them tomorrow if possible. It would be
wonderful if you had the missing ones done already, but I guess there
will be some overlap:

1-negaposi.html,
3-primes.html,
4-quiz-loader.html,
5-numbers.html,
6-xor.html, (no detailed explanation of the algorithms)
7-slash.html (partially)

James Gray

On May 8, 2005, at 6:35 PM, Florian Groß wrote:

> Ryan Leavengood wrote:
>

>> So, I was been browsing http://iorcc.d... and looking at
>> the 2005 entries for the International Obfuscated Ruby Code
>> Contest (IORCC), and in the process I've cleaned-up and have a
>> solid understanding of several of the entries. Would anyone be
>> interested in reading an analysis and clean-up of these programs,
>> or is that an exercise best left for the reader?
>>

> I've done these and will post them tomorrow if possible. It would
> be wonderful if you had the missing ones done already, but I guess
> there will be some overlap:
>
> 1-negaposi.html,
> 3-primes.html,
> 4-quiz-loader.html,
> 5-numbers.html,
> 6-xor.html, (no detailed explanation of the algorithms)
> 7-slash.html (partially)

I, for one, am very interested in reading anyone's work on this.

James Edward Gray II

Ezra Zygmuntowicz

On May 8, 2005, at 3:25 PM, Ryan Leavengood wrote:

> So, I was been browsing http://iorcc.d... and looking at the
> 2005 entries for the International Obfuscated Ruby Code Contest
> (IORCC), and in the process I've cleaned-up and have a solid
> understanding of several of the entries. Would anyone be interested
> in reading an analysis and clean-up of these programs, or is that
> an exercise best left for the reader?
>
> I suppose you could say this was like Ruby Quiz #26 (Code
> Cleaning), with me doing the cleaning instead of James.
>
> I find it quite interesting figuring them out, sort of like solving
> a puzzle, but maybe others would just like to see how the "magic"
> happens.
>
> Let me know,
> Ryan

I'd like to read about it.
-Ezra

Florian Groß

James Edward Gray II wrote:

>>> an analysis and clean-up of [IORCC entries]
>> I've done these and will post them tomorrow if possible.
> I, for one, am very interested in reading anyone's work on this.

Here we go, then: http://flgr.0x42.n...

Hope you enjoy and have as much fun reading as I had deciphering them.