RACC - one click installer/cygwin package

Jon A. Lambert

5/8/2005 12:32:00 PM

I have both the one-click installer and also the cygwin package. What
little web doc there is leads me to believe that racc is integrated with
both. There is a racc directory in both lib directories that includes a
module named parser. There is nothing in either bin directory. The doc say
use $ racc foo.y Where be the racc bat exe or ruby module? Or has the
invocation changed?

Thanks

--
J Lambert

5 Answers

nobu.nokada

At Sun, 8 May 2005 21:31:40 +0900,
Jon A. Lambert wrote in [ruby-talk:141662]:
> What
> little web doc there is leads me to believe that racc is integrated with
> both.

No, integrated is only racc runtime, which is used to run
scripts generated by racc.

> There is a racc directory in both lib directories that includes a
> module named parser. There is nothing in either bin directory. The doc say
> use $ racc foo.y Where be the racc bat exe or ruby module? Or has the
> invocation changed?

Therefore you need to install racc itself to compile compilers.

--
Nobu Nakada

Jon A. Lambert

nobu.nokada@softhome.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At Sun, 8 May 2005 21:31:40 +0900,
> Jon A. Lambert wrote in [ruby-talk:141662]:
>> What
>> little web doc there is leads me to believe that racc is integrated
>> with both.
>
> No, integrated is only racc runtime, which is used to run
> scripts generated by racc.

okay.

>> There is a racc directory in both lib directories that includes a
>> module named parser. There is nothing in either bin directory. The
>> doc say use $ racc foo.y Where be the racc bat exe or ruby module?
>> Or has the invocation changed?
>
> Therefore you need to install racc itself to compile compilers.

I'm having some difficulty with this.
I have the latest one-click installer
I also have the free VC++ 7.1 compiler
C:\racc-1.4.4-all>cl
Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 13.10.3077 for 80x86
and the 32-bit Platform SDK for XP

My build environment variables look correct to me:
Path=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003\bin;C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\Bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform
SDK\Bin\WinNT;c:\apps\ruby\bin;c:\apps\apache-ant-1.6.0\bin;C:\apps\fsc\PCOBOL32;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
Include=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit
2003\include;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\Include;
INETSDK=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK
lib=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003\lib;C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\Lib;C:\APPS\FSC\PCOBOL32
VCToolkitInstallDir=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003

The first problem was after
> ruby setup.rb config
the config.save contains

make-prog=make

I changed this to nmake by hand.

Running
> ruby setup.rb setup
I get..

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 7.00.8882
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1988-2000. All rights reserved.

cl -nologo -LD -Fecparse.so cparse.obj msvcrt-ruby18.lib
oldnames.lib user32.lib advapi32.lib
wsock32.lib -link -incremental:no -debug -opt:ref -opt:icf -dll -libpath:"c:/apps/ruby/lib"
-def:cparse-i386-mswin32.def
LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'MSVCRT.lib'
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cl' : return code '0x2'
Stop.
'system nmake ' failed
Try 'ruby setup.rb --help' for detailed usage.

Okay I searched through all the files in RACC and in
i386-mswin32\rbconfig,rb for MSVCRT.lib and I can't find what's causing
this dependency. This is a VC 6.0 import library.

Any ideas?

Thanks

--
J Lambert

nobu.nokada

At Wed, 11 May 2005 02:14:58 +0900,
Jon A. Lambert wrote in [ruby-talk:142026]:
> I'm having some difficulty with this.
> I have the latest one-click installer
> I also have the free VC++ 7.1 compiler
> C:\racc-1.4.4-all>cl

racc doesn't need a compiler, as ruby 1.8 already contains its
runtime.

> The first problem was after
> > ruby setup.rb config
> the config.save contains
>
> make-prog=make
>
> I changed this to nmake by hand.

So you don't have to mind it. Run config with --without-ext
option instead.

> Okay I searched through all the files in RACC and in
> i386-mswin32\rbconfig,rb for MSVCRT.lib and I can't find what's causing
> this dependency. This is a VC 6.0 import library.

Visual C++ 2003 package is broken. You need to install .NET
Framework SDK for msvcrt.lib if really want to use it.

--
Nobu Nakada

Jon A. Lambert

nobu.nokada@softhome.net wrote:

> racc doesn't need a compiler, as ruby 1.8 already contains its
> runtime.

Yes, but.. ;-)

> So you don't have to mind it. Run config with --without-ext
> option instead.

okay.

>> Okay I searched through all the files in RACC and in
>> i386-mswin32\rbconfig,rb for MSVCRT.lib and I can't find what's
>> causing this dependency. This is a VC 6.0 import library.
>
> Visual C++ 2003 package is broken. You need to install .NET
> Framework SDK for msvcrt.lib if really want to use it.

This is probably my root problem. I've been using Borland 5.5 and VC 6.0
for awhile with no problems. But I decided to delete my VC 6.0 installation
and upgrade to VC 7.1 so I could compile not just RACC but a whole load of
other extensions not included in the one-click installer but compatible with
the mswin32 one-click installer. Even though with RACC as you say, I
really only need to add the parts of RACC that don't need to be compiled.

I also need iconv, dbm, curses, and a few other things. Some of which I see
are included in another ruby mswin32 distro but not the one-click one.

I'll see what I can do with .NET Framework SDK installed.

Thank you again.

--
J Lambert

Steph