Re: [ETYMOLOGY] - Sterile Classes / Sterile Meta Classes

Thomas Adam

5/7/2005 9:31:00 PM

--- Ilias Lazaridis <ilias@lazaridis.com> wrote:
> Another suggestion for the "Ruby Singleton Classes" or "Exclusive
> Classes":
>
> Sterile Classes

Hmm. "Sterile" is not the first word I'd have used -- it has a more
widely-known meaning for one who is unable to reproduce. I personally
prefer either "Excusive" or "Singleton". But that's just me.

Incidentally, I like your hierarchy diagram.

-- Thomas Adam

snaps for FREE with Yahoo! Photos http://uk.photos...

3 Answers

Ilias Lazaridis

Thomas Adam wrote:
> --- Ilias Lazaridis <ilias@lazaridis.com> wrote:
>
>>Another suggestion for the "Ruby Singleton Classes" or "Exclusive
>>Classes":
>>
>>Sterile Classes
>
> Hmm. "Sterile" is not the first word I'd have used -- it has a more
> widely-known meaning for one who is unable to reproduce.

yes, in context of a class, this becomes true.

but you are right:

"unable to reproduce" vs. "unable to produce".

non-instantiatable class.

Class-intantiated-to-> Object

Object->gets-Class-attached

Reverse Class?

no.

> I personally
> prefer either "Excusive" or "Singleton". But that's just me.

"Singleton" has already a meaning, thus "Exclusive" remains.

> Incidentally, I like your hierarchy diagram.

thanks a lot.

.

--
http://laz...

Thomas Adam

--- Ilias Lazaridis <ilias@lazaridis.com> wrote:

> yes, in context of a class, this becomes true.
>
> but you are right:
>
> "unable to reproduce" vs. "unable to produce".

Indeed. But even then, in the latter "definiton" as you have it, it is
not true of the word 'sterile'. It's only applicable in terms of
reproduction. So I wouldn't use it at all.

> non-instantiatable class.

Well, does the name have to be unique from other languages? I mean if
one were to use the term "Abstract" -- taken from Java, it's
immediately obvious that such a class cannot be instantiated to form an
object. Admittedly in Java this is only in relation to inheritance,
but the meaning is still evident.

Thomas Adam wrote:
> --- Ilias Lazaridis <ilias@lazaridis.com> wrote:
>

>>yes, in context of a class, this becomes true.
>>
>>but you are right:
>>
>>"unable to reproduce" vs. "unable to produce".
>
> Indeed. But even then, in the latter "definiton" as you have it, it is
> not true of the word 'sterile'. It's only applicable in terms of
> reproduction. So I wouldn't use it at all.

provisionally agreed.

>>non-instantiatable class.
>
> Well, does the name have to be unique from other languages? I mean if
> one were to use the term "Abstract" -- taken from Java, it's
> immediately obvious that such a class cannot be instantiated to form an
> object. Admittedly in Java this is only in relation to inheritance,
> but the meaning is still evident.

this fits to: "cannot be instantiated".

but: "* It is not part of the observable object-model "

this is not covered by "Abstract Class".

-

"Hidden Abstract Class".

"Mapped Abstract Class"

"Mapped Exclusive Class"