ASP.NET application cant access network drive

7/17/2003 10:18:00 AM

My ASP.NET application needs read/write permissions for drive "Z:", which is mapped to my Linksys Gigadrive (Network Attached Storage...if anyone is familiar with that).

If I configure the Gigadrive with "Guest" access rights, then everything works fine, BUT this leaves the drive vulnerable to everyone/everything including network viruses. Lately, my drive has had several attacks by the Lovegate virus.

Eliminating such attacks requires making my drive private, meaning I must remove "Guest" access rights and only allow logged-in users to access the drive through the ASP.NET applicaiton.

The problem is that without "guest" access rights, the ASP.NET application itself cannot access the drive!

Is my ASP.NET application a "user" that I must add to the list of priviledged users on the Gigadrive? Well, I tried adding users "ASPNET" and "IUSR_MyComputer" to the Gigadrive, but it didnt seem to work.

Again, if I allow the "Everyone" group (which includes the user "Guest") to have persmission to the drive, then everything works.

Can someone please help me?

I was playing around with the NAS a little more and I notice that whenever I create a new user with the name "aspnet", I receive the same error: "Could not find a part of the path 'z:\'". The odd thing is even though "aspnet" is a member of the "everyone" group in NAS, and that the "everyone" group does have R/W access to the share folder, the application is still not able to write to the folder. Now if I delete the "aspnet" user altogether, everything works like normal (where "everyone" has access).

By the way, for your info (but im sure everyone here probably knows this already) "ASPNET" is actually the user account that the asp.net worker process (aspnet_wp.exe) is configured to runs as in IIS/windows. There seems to be some correlation, but I just dont know exactly what. If this info has shedded some light on this problem, please let me know. THanks.