Re: "Bounty" approach for small pieces of code?

Molitor, Stephen L

5/2/2005 8:50:00 PM

Sounds interesting. What kind of stuff do you need written?

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Hal Fulton [mailto:hal9000@hypermetrics.com]
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 3:39 PM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: "Bounty" approach for small pieces of code?

I seem to recall there was some discussion here of people paying small
amounts for small pieces of code (a la rentacoder).

Speaking from the paying end, I'm thinking something more as a stipend
or a courtesy amount -- nothing competitive, you understand.

Of course, speaking from the opposite end, I wouldn't object if someone
offered me a large sum of money for a weekend of coding... ;)

Does this concept seem interesting to anyone? Worth discussing?

Cheers,
Hal

12 Answers

Hal E. Fulton

Molitor, Stephen L wrote:
> Sounds interesting. What kind of stuff do you need written?

For one example, an fxruby tree widget that is like the
existing tree widget, but whose entries can be manually
moved around by keyboard/mouse.

Hal

Richard Lyman

On 5/2/05, Hal Fulton <hal9000@hypermetrics.com> wrote:
> Molitor, Stephen L wrote:
> > Sounds interesting. What kind of stuff do you need written?
>
> For one example, an fxruby tree widget that is like the
> existing tree widget, but whose entries can be manually
> moved around by keyboard/mouse.
>

> Hal

Already done. You might need to specify a bit more what you're looknig
for since I'm pretty sure that what I've messed around with isn't what
you're looking for.

Sure I can move a tree item around in depth and height using only
keys, or only the mouse - but again, I'm not sure that it's what
you're wanting.

-Rich

Joe Van Dyk

On 5/2/05, Richard Lyman <lymans@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/2/05, Hal Fulton <hal9000@hypermetrics.com> wrote:
> > Molitor, Stephen L wrote:
> > > Sounds interesting. What kind of stuff do you need written?
> >
> > For one example, an fxruby tree widget that is like the
> > existing tree widget, but whose entries can be manually
> > moved around by keyboard/mouse.
> >

> > Hal
> >

> Already done. You might need to specify a bit more what you're looknig
> for since I'm pretty sure that what I've messed around with isn't what
> you're looking for.
>
> Sure I can move a tree item around in depth and height using only
> keys, or only the mouse - but again, I'm not sure that it's what
> you're wanting.

I think you're missing the point.

The point is that Hal wants to pay(!) for that feature. So you're
supposed to say, "Ok, I've done the necessary modifications, that'll
be $200 please."

What's wrong with you people?

Hal E. Fulton

Richard Lyman wrote:
> On 5/2/05, Hal Fulton <hal9000@hypermetrics.com> wrote:
>
>>Molitor, Stephen L wrote:
>>
>>>Sounds interesting. What kind of stuff do you need written?
>>
>>For one example, an fxruby tree widget that is like the
>>existing tree widget, but whose entries can be manually
>>moved around by keyboard/mouse.
>>

>>Hal
>>

> Already done. You might need to specify a bit more what you're looknig
> for since I'm pretty sure that what I've messed around with isn't what
> you're looking for.
>
> Sure I can move a tree item around in depth and height using only
> keys, or only the mouse - but again, I'm not sure that it's what
> you're wanting.

But there's not a widget that can do that "out of the box" as far
as I know.

I'd want to treat it as a "black box," if you know what I mean.

Hal

Richard Lyman

On 5/2/05, Joe Van Dyk <joevandyk@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/2/05, Richard Lyman <lymans@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > For one example, an fxruby tree widget that is like the
> > > existing tree widget, but whose entries can be manually
> > > moved around by keyboard/mouse.
> > >

> > > Hal
> > >

> > Already done. You might need to specify a bit more what you're looknig
> > for since I'm pretty sure that what I've messed around with isn't what
> > you're looking for.
> >
> > Sure I can move a tree item around in depth and height using only
> > keys, or only the mouse - but again, I'm not sure that it's what
> > you're wanting.
>
> I think you're missing the point.
>
> The point is that Hal wants to pay(!) for that feature. So you're
> supposed to say, "Ok, I've done the necessary modifications, that'll
> be $200 please."
>
> What's wrong with you people?

lol... wrong? Nothin'! I've just spent too much time working with
'business people'... it's almost as if I'm intentionally less
'business-minded' than when I first started!

-Rich

Richard Lyman

On 5/2/05, Hal Fulton <hal9000@hypermetrics.com> wrote:
> Richard Lyman wrote:

> >>For one example, an fxruby tree widget that is like the
> >>existing tree widget, but whose entries can be manually
> >>moved around by keyboard/mouse.
> >>

> >>Hal
> >>

> > Already done. You might need to specify a bit more what you're looknig
> > for since I'm pretty sure that what I've messed around with isn't what
> > you're looking for.
> >
> > Sure I can move a tree item around in depth and height using only
> > keys, or only the mouse - but again, I'm not sure that it's what
> > you're wanting.
>
> But there's not a widget that can do that "out of the box" as far
> as I know.
>
> I'd want to treat it as a "black box," if you know what I mean.
>

> Hal

How black of a box do you want?

The problem, as I see it, is that we probably have different
expectations of what it is to 'manually move an entry around'.

I'm fine with it not giving any indication of where the item will be
dropped until after the move has been performed - you might want a
visual indication of the results of your actions before you commit
them... say... a line that moves between the elements as you move your
selected entry into place - or maybe you want 'live dragging' so that
the item is always where it would be if you dropped it... but then how
would you decided where in the depth of the tree it would be placed?

Also - what kind of 'parenting' would I assume for the default? To
make the dropped entry a child above/below the entry it was dropped
on, or to make it a child/parent of the entry it was dropped on?

There are a lot of questions - I'm not sure what the 'default'
behavior would be, to say nothing of what the default keys for moving
an entry should be...

-Rich

Luke Graham

On 5/3/05, Richard Lyman <lymans@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/2/05, Joe Van Dyk <joevandyk@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Already done. You might need to specify a bit more what you're looknig
> > > for since I'm pretty sure that what I've messed around with isn't what
> > > you're looking for.
> > >
> > > Sure I can move a tree item around in depth and height using only
> > > keys, or only the mouse - but again, I'm not sure that it's what
> > > you're wanting.
> >
> > I think you're missing the point.
> >
> > The point is that Hal wants to pay(!) for that feature. So you're
> > supposed to say, "Ok, I've done the necessary modifications, that'll
> > be $200 please."
> >
> > What's wrong with you people?
> >

> lol... wrong? Nothin'! I've just spent too much time working with
> 'business people'... it's almost as if I'm intentionally less
> 'business-minded' than when I first started!

Last thing I want is a political debate, but Cypress Hill said it best...

tequila sunrise
bloodshot eyes
realise we're all born to die
so get the money ******

--
spooq

Hal E. Fulton

Richard Lyman wrote:

> How black of a box do you want?
>
> The problem, as I see it, is that we probably have different
> expectations of what it is to 'manually move an entry around'.
>
> I'm fine with it not giving any indication of where the item will be
> dropped until after the move has been performed - you might want a
> visual indication of the results of your actions before you commit
> them... say... a line that moves between the elements as you move your
> selected entry into place - or maybe you want 'live dragging' so that
> the item is always where it would be if you dropped it... but then how
> would you decided where in the depth of the tree it would be placed?
>
> Also - what kind of 'parenting' would I assume for the default? To
> make the dropped entry a child above/below the entry it was dropped
> on, or to make it a child/parent of the entry it was dropped on?
>
> There are a lot of questions - I'm not sure what the 'default'
> behavior would be, to say nothing of what the default keys for moving
> an entry should be...

Quite right, there would be issues to resolve. This is one that I
haven't thought through.

The only other example I can think of would be even harder to specify --
an icon editor "superwidget" that could be included inside other apps.

I am mainly testing the water to see if anyone is open to this sort
of idea in general.

But your point is valid. To spec things out fully is hard. Maybe not
quite as hard as writing the code, but not trivial.

Hal

Hal E. Fulton

Luke Graham wrote:

> Last thing I want is a political debate, but Cypress Hill said it best...
>
> tequila sunrise
> bloodshot eyes
> realise we're all born to die
> so get the money ******

First time I recall seeing CH quoted here... are you insane? In the membrane?

Hal

Luke Graham

On 5/3/05, Hal Fulton <hal9000@hypermetrics.com> wrote:
> Luke Graham wrote:
> >
> > Last thing I want is a political debate, but Cypress Hill said it best...
> >
> > tequila sunrise
> > bloodshot eyes
> > realise we're all born to die
> > so get the money ******
> >

> First time I recall seeing CH quoted here... are you insane? In the membrane?

In a past life.

--
spooq