Re: Problem with Rake's RDoc task on Windows

james_b

5/2/2005 6:03:00 AM

Alexey Verkhovsky wrote:
> If you have ever wondered, why none of the rdoc tasks in any rakefile
> ever work with your One Click Installer Ruby, here is the explanation.
>
> c:\ruby\bin contains both 'rdoc' and 'rdoc.bat'. c:\ruby\bin is on the
> system path.
>
> From Windows point of view, rdoc is not an executable. rdoc.bat is an
> executable, but in its eternal struggle to protect the user from
> himself, Windows doesn't notice that.

Yet I can run

c:\> rdoc

and it works just fine, so Windows *does* know that rdoc.bat is an
executable.

No struggle.

> Hence:
>
> irb(main):001:0> `rdoc`
> Errno::ENOEXEC: Exec format error - rdoc
> irb(main):002:0> `rdoc.bat`
> ... works...
>
> Unfortunately system 'rdoc ...' is exactly what Rake does. Not sure
> where and how it can be dealt with. Can One Click Installer somehow cope
> with it? Or can Rake invoke rdoc.rb directly, rather than via an
> executable?

I believe this has been discussed here before, and the suggestion was
made to have Rake just call into RDoc code directly, and avoid system
calls entirely.

> P.S. I am fully aware of the common opinion that the _proper_ workaround
> is to ditch Windows. But circumstances force me :)

Well, think different. Use Windows.

James

4 Answers

RD Sandman

Mike Smith <mws@wt.net> wrote in

> On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 21:13:22 -0500, "Sanders Kaufman"
> <[bucky@kaufman.net]> wrote:
>
>>"Steve Rothstein" wrote in message
>>
>>> Interstate highways were started in the US for military use.
>>
>>A more honest person would say it was for everyone's use.
>>How sad that you feel you have to tell lies and half-truths to support
>>your psychotic beliefs.
>
> Sanders must be lying about being a substitute teacher's helper. No
> one can be this stupid and be a substitute teacher's helper.

Perhaps he keeps the erasers clean and the chalk fresh.

--

My favorite animal: Steak!

Sleep well, tonight.....

RD (The Sandman)

Bill Graham

BeamMeUpScotty wrote:
> On 4/5/2012 10:13 PM, Sanders Kaufman wrote:
>> "Steve Rothstein" wrote in message
>

>>> Interstate highways were started in the US for military use.
>>
>> A more honest person would say it was for everyone's use.
>> How sad that you feel you have to tell lies and half-truths to
>> support your psychotic beliefs.
>
> The Al-Can was a real peach, you needed a military 6x6 to get up that
> one.... we did it in a station wagon in the 60's. I plead insanity
> on that one, my Dad was nucking futz crazy.

My brother-in-law did it on a Harley-Davidson motorcycle in the early
60's....

The Daring Dufas

On 4/5/2012 9:13 PM, Sanders Kaufman wrote:
> "Steve Rothstein" wrote in message
>
>> Interstate highways were started in the US for military use.
>
> A more honest person would say it was for everyone's use.
> How sad that you feel you have to tell lies and half-truths to support
> your psychotic beliefs.

Sandy, you poor, poor demented fool you always get dirty smelly fingers
when you pull things out of your ass.

When President Dwight D. Eisenhower took office in January 1953,
however, the states had only completed 6,500 miles of the system
improvements. Eisenhower had first realized the value of good highways
in 1919, when he participated in the U.S. Army's first transcontinental
motor convoy from Washington, DC, to San Francisco. Again, during World
War II, Eisenhower saw the German advantage that resulted from their
autobahn highway network, and he also noted the enhanced mobility of the
Allies, on those same highways, when they fought their way into Germany.
These experiences significantly shaped Eisenhower's views on highways
and their role in national defense. During his State of the Union
Address on January 7, 1954, Eisenhower made it clear that he was ready
to turn his attention to the nation's highway problems. He considered it
important to "protect the vital interest of every citizen in a safe and
adequate highway system."

I see military equipment being transported via The Interstate Highway
System all the time and it strikes me as being very important for our
national defense and military mobility. ^_^

TDD

The Daring Dufas

On 4/4/2012 8:09 AM, Gary Forbis wrote:
> On Apr 4, 4:45 am, The Daring Dufas<the-daring-du...@stinky.net>
> wrote:
>> On 4/3/2012 9:19 PM, Sid9 wrote:
>
>>> Tax on tire rubber helps pay for roads.
>>
>> It wouldn't be a problem except the money is never used for roads, it
>> usually winds up funding some government agency with the mission of
>> protecting the endangered "Three toed barking tree snail" that only
>> exists in a 100 square foot patch of North East Oregon rainforest. o_O
>
> Now you have me really confused.
>
> Are you saying a species that only exists in a 100 sqare foot patch
> of North East Oregon (that's a 10 by 10 patch of Earth) isn't worth
> the inconvenience of a few feet? Are you a God fearing man or an
> Athiest? If you are a God fearing man then why do you choose to
> disrespect God's creations? If you are an Athiest then where did
> you put your wonder of nature's creation? How self-centered are you?
>
> Does your vision of the future leave any room for nature and
> protecting
> it for your children? Maybe you think the movie "Silent Running"
> didn't
> describe a distopia. The Earth was never shown in the movie but how
> sad that the remaining forrest outposts were just too expensive to
> support.

Hey, don't disrespect one of my favorite classic SciFi movies! What
would Huey, Dewey and Louie think of you. Bruce Dern would probably
pay for a hit on you. o_O

TDD