Serialization Problems using embedded arraylists...

Dave Matta

1/24/2003 6:09:00 PM

I have been plagued by a problem for several weeks now and
need to get it fixed. I am at my wits end with it. I was
wondering what I might be doing wrong.

Here's the situation...I have object foo defined as
follows:

Public Class Foo
Private mcolBarList as ArrayList = New ArrayList()
Public Property BarList() As ArrayList
Get() As ArrayList
Return mcolBarList
End Get
Set(Value as ArrayList)
mcolBarList = Value
End Set
End Property
End Class

Now, BarList is an ArrayList of Bar objects. Whenever I
send this structure through a Web Service (either as an in
or out parameter), the bar objects are not properly
deserialized back into bar objects. I have been playing
with <XMLInclude(GetType(Bar))> attributes on the web
method I am calling, on the web service proxy object I am
using to call the web service, and on the data objec
itself, but have been unable to figure out how to get Bar
to deserialize correctly. Can someone explain what I might
be doing wrong?

Thanks,
Dave Matta