[OT] Mozilla/Firefox & Gmail/Web Development

Bill Guindon

4/30/2005 3:09:00 AM

Just saw a post mentioning the issue about gmail using proportional
fonts, and thought I'd toss out a couple of recent finds.

One of them is a general tool for web developers [1], and has a lot of
handy features. Two of my favorites are:

Resize - resizes your browser window to 800x600, or a custom size.
Outline - applies css to the page you're viewing to add borders to
tables, cells, etc.

It also has features that cover forms, images, page size, validation,
etc. I've only been using it for a short time, but I'd recommend it
to any web developer.

On the Gmail side, it also let's you apply a local style sheet to the
wepage of your choice. This allows me to force Gmail messages to
display in fixed width by using the following css...

div.msg div.mb {
font-family: monospace !important;
font-size: 14px !important;
}

Many thanks to Milo Vermeulen [2], who supplied the css, and his blog
commenters who linked to the Web Developer tool.

[1] http://chrispederick.com/work/firefox/web...
[2] http://mil...

--
Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)

2 Answers

james_b

Bill Guindon wrote:
> Just saw a post mentioning the issue about gmail using proportional
> fonts, and thought I'd toss out a couple of recent finds.

> On the Gmail side, it also let's you apply a local style sheet to the
> wepage of your choice. This allows me to force Gmail messages to
> display in fixed width by using the following css...

GMail seems ripe for Greasemonkey.

http://greasemonkey.m...

James

Bill Guindon

On 4/29/05, James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com> wrote:
> Bill Guindon wrote:
> > Just saw a post mentioning the issue about gmail using proportional
> > fonts, and thought I'd toss out a couple of recent finds.
>
> > On the Gmail side, it also let's you apply a local style sheet to the
> > wepage of your choice. This allows me to force Gmail messages to
> > display in fixed width by using the following css...
> >

> GMail seems ripe for Greasemonkey.
>
> http://greasemonkey.m...

That looks like it would solve one problem I'm having... the web
developer tools seems to appy the css at random, I usually have to
force the issue on an as needed basis (I still love it for it's webdev
features).

Unfortunately, when I tried greasemonkey install link with Mozilla
1.7.2, I got an error "Install script not found".

--
Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)