Re: Is there a Ruby library that does HTML entity parsing?

John Lam

4/28/2005 3:49:00 PM

Thanks for the pointer, Ilmari! Just checked and it works fine under Windows.

-John
http://www.iu...

________________________________

From: Ilmari Heikkinen [mailto:kig@misfiring.net]
Sent: Thu 4/28/2005 11:40 AM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: Re: Is there a Ruby library that does HTML entity parsing?

On 28.4.2005, at 18:05, John Lam wrote:

> Steve, I've been using the URI lib quite a bit, but it doesn't parse
> entities. One feature that would be nice to add is one that calculates
> the URL for the directory that contains a document, given its complete
> URL.
>
> For example, consider:
>
> http://www.fo...som...
>
> This document clearly lives in
>
> http://www.fo...

This can also be done using File.split / dirname / basename:

File.dirname "http://foo.com/bar/stuff....
#=> "http://foo.com...

File.basename "http://foo.com/bar/stuff....
#=> "stuff.html"

File.split "http://foo.com/bar/stuff....
#=> ["http://foo.com..., "stuff.html"]

File.join( File.dirname("http://foo.com/bar/doc....),
"relative_link.html" )
# => "http://foo.com/bar/relative_link....

Though that probably breaks on Windows since it has backslashes for
directory separators.

Cheers,
Ilmari Heikkinen