Re: thread question

Peter Fitzgibbons

4/28/2005 2:27:00 PM

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Schröder [mailto:ruby.brian@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2005 12:08 PM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: Re: thread question

> On 25/04/05, Joe Van Dyk <joevandyk@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> One difference from your whish is, that this calls the function with a sleeptime of approximately one second, > or sometimes more, and not every second. Calling it every second is more difficult.
>
> Also, if I remember correctly, ruby threads may be blocked for some time by some large io activities.
>
> hope to help,
>
> Brian

I hope that every programmer truly realizes that Win*, Mac* and *nix are NOT real-time-os. On all of these os', a second is not the standardized second, and the practical 'clock tick' is by no means absolutely a specific count of milliseconds.

Peter J. Fitzgibbons
Applications Manager
Lakewood Homes - "The American Dream Builder"(r)
Peter.FitzgibbonsNOSPAMLakewoodhomes.net
(847) 884-8800

2 Answers

Robert Klemme

"Peter Fitzgibbons" <Peter.Fitzgibbons@lakewoodhomes.net> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag

> > One difference from your whish is, that this calls the function with a
sleeptime of approximately one second, > or sometimes more, and not every
second. Calling it every second is more difficult.

> > Also, if I remember correctly, ruby threads may be blocked for some
time by some large io activities.

> > hope to help,
> >
> > Brian
>
> I hope that every programmer truly realizes that Win*, Mac* and *nix are
NOT real-time-os. On all of these os', a second is not the standardized
second, and the practical 'clock tick' is by no means absolutely a
specific count of milliseconds.

Although that's perfectly right I think Brian meant a different form of
blocking: since Ruby threads are notn native, they will always block
during long running functions because there is no preemption - even if
system resources are plenty. The blocking you refer to is usually caused
by some resource shortage where preemption by the OS's scheduler usually
makes sure that every native thread get's its part of the time pie.

Kind regards

robert

Brian Schröder

On 28/04/05, Robert Klemme <bob.news@gmx.net> wrote:

> "Peter Fitzgibbons" <Peter.Fitzgibbons@lakewoodhomes.net> schrieb im
> Newsbeitrag

Yes, and additionally I meant that I only proposed a one second pause
between the requests, not calling the request every second, which are
completely different things.

best regards,

Brian

--
http://ruby.brian-sch...

multilingual _non rails_ ruby based vocabulary trainer:
http://www.vocabu... | http://www.g... | http://www.vok...