"Metaclass" Name Survey

Trans

4/27/2005 12:11:00 AM

Hi--

I'm taking a vote/survey on what would be the best method name for
accessing (class << self; self; end).

http://rubyforge.org/survey/survey.php?group_id=483&su...

Thanks,
T.

10 Answers

Lionel Thiry

Trans a écrit :
> Hi--
>
> I'm taking a vote/survey on what would be the best method name for
> accessing (class << self; self; end).
>
> http://rubyforge.org/survey/survey.php?group_id=483&su...
>
> Thanks,
> T.

I voted for
meta

MyClass.meta => meta class of MyClass
object.meta => singleton/meta object of object

--
Lionel Thiry

Personal website: http://users.skynet....

why the lucky stiff

Lionel Thiry wrote:
> Trans a écrit :
>
>> I'm taking a vote/survey on what would be the best method name for
>> accessing (class << self; self; end).
>>
>> http://rubyforge.org/survey/survey.php?group_id=483&su...
>
> MyClass.meta => meta class of MyClass
> object.meta => singleton/meta object of object

Come on: catself.

MyClass.catself
object.catself

Benefits:
1. It sounds the way it looks!
2. The "special singleton class" is _truly_ nothing more than a cat
clinging to the pant leg of a Ruby object!
3. Cat's elf! (Translation: Pets owning humankinds is cool.)
4. If you have a secret feline identity, you may refer to You as "self"
and Whiskered You as "cat self". So it is with objects!
5. c(lass) @ self!
6. catself.net and catself.org domains are available, whereas meta and
metaclass domains are not!
7. Here's a simple reason: It's easy to use.
8. CA TSE LF (CAlifornia TSE-tse fly in LF radio band.) That's a _very_
visual representation of this ambiguous element and people will really
latch on to this image!
9. Did I say the one about feline identity? Because, in retrospect, I'm
thinking such line of reasoning could be a strike against this proposal.
But I'm leaving it in for now anyway, since this is informal and we're
all bosom friends here.
10. Easy to make the meta-object kind called with an "o" -- oatself.
See, that was a no-brainer.

I'd love to hear from my critics at this point.

_why

lucsky

why the lucky stiff <ruby-talk@whytheluckystiff.net> wrote:

> I'd love to hear from my critics at this point.

Sure, but I'll need an aspirin first... :p

--
Luc Heinrich - lucsky@mac.com

Martin DeMello

Trans <transfire@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi--
>
> I'm taking a vote/survey on what would be the best method name for
> accessing (class << self; self; end).
>
> http://rubyforge.org/survey/survey.php?group_id=483&su...

I voted for #sclass ('self class', 'special class', 'shadow class',
'singleton class', etc).

martin

Lyndon Samson

On 4/27/05, Martin DeMello <martindemello@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Trans <transfire@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi--
> >
> > I'm taking a vote/survey on what would be the best method name for
> > accessing (class << self; self; end).
> >
> > http://rubyforge.org/survey/survey.php?group_id=483&su...
>
> I voted for #sclass ('self class', 'special class', 'shadow class',
> 'singleton class', etc).

gumbyclass
foozclass
objectLocalClass/olc

--
Into RFID? www.rfidnewsupdate.com Simple, fast, news.

Hal E. Fulton

why the lucky stiff wrote:

> I'd love to hear from my critics at this point.

Sorry, but they all just had aneurysms.

Hal

why the lucky stiff

Hal Fulton wrote:

> Sorry, but they all just had aneurysms.

Having an aneurysm during an argument has got to be the OLDEST strawman
in the book! This is so typical of my critics.

_why

George Ogata

"Trans" <transfire@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm taking a vote/survey on what would be the best method name for
> accessing (class << self; self; end).

Does any other language have this feature?

If not, then I assume Matz came up with the idea, so "Matz class"
(#matz_class) would be a natural choice...

(0.5 serious)

Yeah?

Bill Guindon

On 4/27/05, George Ogata <g_ogata@optushome.com.au> wrote:
> "Trans" <transfire@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I'm taking a vote/survey on what would be the best method name for
> > accessing (class << self; self; end).
>
> Does any other language have this feature?
>
> If not, then I assume Matz came up with the idea, so "Matz class"
> (#matz_class) would be a natural choice...

In honor of Ilias, I propose....

> (0.5 serious)

(-1 serious)

--
Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)

William Morgan

Excerpts from Trans's mail of 26 Apr 2005 (EDT):
> I'm taking a vote/survey on what would be the best method name for
> accessing (class << self; self; end).

I voted for awesomeclass. Because they're awesome.

Are you with me?

(iliasclass was a close second)

--
William <wmorgan-ruby-talk@masanjin.net>