[OT] Dealing with trolls:the age-old debate

ptkwt

4/23/2005 5:25:00 PM

Given a troll's visit to the newsgroup (word on the street is that it's
happened recently:), there are two opinions on dealing with said troll:

1) Ignore the troll (I tend to come down on this side)

2) Answer the troll so as to demolish his arguments.

It's intersting that this debate goes back some 3000 years. Substitute
'fool' for 'troll' and you find this in the book of Proverbs (a Hebrew
book of Wisdom):

"Do not answer a fool according to his folly, Lest you be like him"
(26:4)

(Or, the modern paraphrase: "Don't wrestle a pig: All you get is muddy
and the pig has way too much fun.")

However the next verse seems to indicate that the author is having an
internal debate about the issue:

"Answer a fool as his folly deserves, Lest he be wise in his own eyes"
(26:5).

A contradiction? Some would say so. I tend to look at it more as an
internal debate - sort of like Hamlet's "To be or not to be" soliloquy.

So it would seem to be an age-old connundrum. Be wise.

Phil
16 Answers

Wes Moxam

It's really simple to ignore a troll. Just create a filter in your
email client and forgot about the whole thing. I just created a gmail
filter that discarded every message that contained the word "Illias".

Troll forgotten.

-- Wes

On 4/23/05, Phil Tomson <ptkwt@aracnet.com> wrote:
> Given a troll's visit to the newsgroup (word on the street is that it's
> happened recently:), there are two opinions on dealing with said troll:
>
> 1) Ignore the troll (I tend to come down on this side)
>
> 2) Answer the troll so as to demolish his arguments.
>
> It's intersting that this debate goes back some 3000 years. Substitute
> 'fool' for 'troll' and you find this in the book of Proverbs (a Hebrew
> book of Wisdom):
>
> "Do not answer a fool according to his folly, Lest you be like him"
> (26:4)
>
> (Or, the modern paraphrase: "Don't wrestle a pig: All you get is muddy
> and the pig has way too much fun.")
>
> However the next verse seems to indicate that the author is having an
> internal debate about the issue:
>
> "Answer a fool as his folly deserves, Lest he be wise in his own eyes"
> (26:5).
>
> A contradiction? Some would say so. I tend to look at it more as an
> internal debate - sort of like Hamlet's "To be or not to be" soliloquy.
>
> So it would seem to be an age-old connundrum. Be wise.
>
> Phil

Jon A. Lambert

Phil Tomson wrote:
> there are two opinions on dealing with said troll:

There are far more than two opinions.

3) Give the troll butterscotch candies so you can cross the bridge.
4) Sneak around behind the troll and give them a wedgie while they're
distracted.
5) Scream troll troll everywhere a troll blocking up the scenery breaking my
mind.
6) Create web shrines to trolls.
7) Affix a meta-kick me sign on its meta-back.
8) Run anti-troll email campaigns.
9) Tell the troll you are much too thin to eat and to wait on your brother
who should be along presently.
10) Pay the troll, why should entertainment be "free as in beer".

Probably more...

--
J. Lambert

Florian Groß

Jon A. Lambert wrote:

>> there are two opinions on dealing with said troll:
>
> There are far more than two opinions.
>
> 3) Give the troll butterscotch candies so you can cross the bridge.
> 4) Sneak around behind the troll and give them a wedgie while they're
> distracted.
> 5) Scream troll troll everywhere a troll blocking up the scenery
> breaking my mind.
> 6) Create web shrines to trolls.
> 7) Affix a meta-kick me sign on its meta-back.
> 8) Run anti-troll email campaigns.
> 9) Tell the troll you are much too thin to eat and to wait on your
> brother who should be along presently.
> 10) Pay the troll, why should entertainment be "free as in beer".
>
> Probably more...

This one works only if there is multiple trolls involved:

11) Get the trolls to discuss how to best eat you until daylight
petrifies them.

Thursday

Phil Tomson wrote:
> Given a troll's visit to the newsgroup (word on the street is that it's
> happened recently:), there are two opinions on dealing with said troll:
>
> 1) Ignore the troll (I tend to come down on this side)
>
> 2) Answer the troll so as to demolish his arguments.
>
> It's intersting that this debate goes back some 3000 years. Substitute
> 'fool' for 'troll' and you find this in the book of Proverbs (a Hebrew
> book of Wisdom):
>
> "Do not answer a fool according to his folly, Lest you be like him"
> (26:4)
>
> (Or, the modern paraphrase: "Don't wrestle a pig: All you get is muddy
> and the pig has way too much fun.")
>
> However the next verse seems to indicate that the author is having an
> internal debate about the issue:
>
> "Answer a fool as his folly deserves, Lest he be wise in his own eyes"
> (26:5).
>
> A contradiction? Some would say so. I tend to look at it more as an
> internal debate - sort of like Hamlet's "To be or not to be" soliloquy.
>
> So it would seem to be an age-old connundrum. Be wise.
>
> Phil

Beautiful. That was a most enjoyable post.

I say, forgive the troll, for it knows not what it does. And love the
troll as you love yourself.

If we ask sincerely ask ourselves *WHY* the troll causes so much anger,
we will know ourselves better--after all, we can *CHOOSE* the emotions
we feel, right? Unless we're sleepwalkers, we don't have to
automatically feel a certain way based on what others say, right?

Those that understand this will recognize that the purpose of the troll
is not simply to anger, but to educate us about ourselves. Troll
droppings (posts) are merely the stinky gift wrapping to repel the
unwise from the treasures they hide inside.

For example, somewhat dishonest people (even ones that only lie only to
themselves) will be most angered by a troll that states a blatant
falsehood--the more the troll reminds us of a flaw we'd rather forget
about ourselves, the more pissed off we tend to get.

Remember this the next time you start to get pissed off at a troll...and
discover the gift of wisdom the troll can bring disguised as an annoying
post.

Nikolai Weibull

Thursday, April 24:

> I say, forgive the troll, for it knows not what it does. And love the
> troll as you love yourself.

Dude, I'm not giving a troll a handjob,
nikolai (the horribly inappropriate joker)

--
Nikolai Weibull: now available free of charge at http:/...!

Gene Tani

now we're very close to asymptote: 8 sigmas of whatever going to be
written has been written

time to close this thread!

Lyndon Samson

On 4/24/05, gene.tani@gmail.com <gene.tani@gmail.com> wrote:
> now we're very close to asymptote: 8 sigmas of whatever going to be
> written has been written
>
> time to close this thread!

Hitler, Nazis.

There, that should do it... :-)

--
Into RFID? www.rfidnewsupdate.com Simple, fast, news.

Pit Capitain

Thursday schrieb:

> Remember this the next time you start to get pissed off at a troll...and
> discover the gift of wisdom the troll can bring disguised as an annoying
> post.

and

> Beautiful. That was a most enjoyable post.

As was your answer.

Regards,
Pit

Jim Freeze

* Phil Tomson <ptkwt@aracnet.com> [2005-04-24 02:49:40 +0900]:

> "Do not answer a fool according to his folly, Lest you be like him"
> (26:4)

I've always liked the version, "Don't argue with a fool. They
bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

--
Jim Freeze
Code Red. Code Ruby

Gene Tani

Ilias is working on a unique thread in comp.lang.python: at some point
he may achieve: "10 messages, 1 author"

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/10a30cec57515249/1e9d1d09d09a73ca?hl=en#1e9d1d...