Re: Ilias is Crazy -- a plea

Jon A. Lambert

4/22/2005 7:58:00 PM

Ryan Davis wrote:
> [some stuff]
>
> Please stop responding to Ilias, he is crazy. If you stop talking to
> him, he will go away.
>
> If you don't believe me, check out this:
>
> http://www.tfeb.org/lisp/mad-p...
>
> Especially:
>
>> Ilias is currently (17-Sep-2002) being almost entirely ignored and
>> is crying alone to himself, while trying to join in various threads.
>> With luck if this continues he will get bored and wander off to
>> annoy people in some other newsgroup. He is one of the most
>> malignant posters to cll in recent history - between 27-Aug-2002 and
>> 24-Sep-2002 threads begin by him were about 1/4 of the articles in
>> cll.
>
> Again, this man is insane, so please, please, please refrain from
> replying to his posts, or in threads he starts.
>
> If you would, please join us is fighting this problem. For more
> details, see:
>
> http://www.zenspider.com/Languages/Ruby/IliasIs...
>
> Thank You

Please remove me from your "Ilias is Crazy" email list campaign. I did not
sign up to ruby-talk to be bombarded with "political causes". Please
respect the reply-to headers. All communications in regards to this topic
will be redirected to ruby-talk until the rude practice of sending spam form
e-mail ceases.

Thank you

--
J. Lambert

29 Answers

Florian Frank

Jon A. Lambert wrote:

> Please remove me from your "Ilias is Crazy" email list campaign.

This is not a list. It's a private mail you received and forwarded to a
public mailing list, without asking for the author's permission first.
This is considered very rude, according to every netiquette I know. If
you don't want to receive emails from Ryan just use your email filter,
instead of bothering every reader of ruby-talk with your misguided
"revenge".

> I did not sign up to ruby-talk to be bombarded with "political
> causes". Please respect the reply-to headers. All communications in
> regards to this topic will be redirected to ruby-talk until the rude
> practice of sending spam form e-mail ceases.

Why did you subscribe to the list? To read postings from regulars and
experienced Ruby hackers like Ryan? If this is the case, you should stop
feeding the trolls, like you were advised in his email. Or will you only
be satisfied, if regulars like Ryan start to unsubscribe from ruby-talk,
because the signal-noise ratio gets too low and the email volume to high
for them to read through it?

The problems with trolls aren't the trolls themselves, but people like
you, that reply to them and feed their madness and their sadism. If you
really want to destroy this mailing list, you should continue with your
behaviour.

--
Florian Frank

craig duncan

Florian Frank wrote:
> Jon A. Lambert wrote:
>

>>Please remove me from your "Ilias is Crazy" email list campaign.
>

> This is not a list. It's a private mail you received and forwarded to a

<snip>

I think what might have been objected to (at least i would object to it) is any sort
of implication that other people's decision about whether or not to respond to
loons/trolls is not really a decision of their own conscience but can be forced upon
them by other individuals -- including through the mechanism of (presumed) peer pressure.

Can we agree that experience shows that this situation *will* persist until virtually
all people on this list decide (of their own accord, or because they don't mind
giving in to peer pressure) that not feeding the trolls *is* the wisest course. I
would like to suggest, though, that no one assume that this decision can (or should)
be forced on anyone. Only, respectfully, suggested.

craig

Peter Suk

On Apr 22, 2005, at 4:10 PM, craig duncan wrote:

> Florian Frank wrote:
>> Jon A. Lambert wrote:
>>> Please remove me from your "Ilias is Crazy" email list campaign.
>> This is not a list. It's a private mail you received and forwarded to
>
> <snip>
>
> I think what might have been objected to (at least i would object to
> it) is any sort of implication that other people's decision about
> whether or not to respond to loons/trolls is not really a decision of
> their own conscience but can be forced upon them by other individuals
> -- including through the mechanism of (presumed) peer pressure.
>
> Can we agree that experience shows that this situation *will* persist
> until virtually all people on this list decide (of their own accord,
> or because they don't mind giving in to peer pressure) that not
> feeding the trolls *is* the wisest course. I would like to suggest,
> though, that no one assume that this decision can (or should) be
> forced on anyone. Only, respectfully, suggested.

There is a seeming dilemma here, but do not give in to fear. It may
seem that, for a language that is growing, newbies will arrive faster
than experienced readers will decide to ignore. So some of the more
experienced readers may fear that the disinformation will persist. But
since people new on a list will either ask a specific question or lurk,
the damage is not as great as it might seem.

The very thing to do is to not fear. Do the opposite of that. It
brought a smile to me to see the tail end of a thread started by an
alleged troll degenerate into a bunch of good-natured nerdy Ruby
language movie-reference jokes. Trolling is just a form of sadism that
feeds on the fear of something we value being unjustly smeared. (And
you can fill in the obvious connections to Star Wars and Harry Potter.
Perhaps I should worry that these things pop into my mind so quickly.)

--Peter

(P.S. And then, after seeing the movie joke thread, I blow it by
getting irate and going nuclear on somebody, in a very un-ruby-lang
sort of way. Mea Culpa. Forgive me. I'm still growing up.)

--
There's neither heaven nor hell, save what we grant ourselves.
There's neither fairness nor justice, save what we grant each other.

Hal E. Fulton

craig duncan wrote:

> I think what might have been objected to (at least i would object to it)
> is any sort of implication that other people's decision about whether or
> not to respond to loons/trolls is not really a decision of their own
> conscience but can be forced upon them by other individuals -- including
> through the mechanism of (presumed) peer pressure.
>
> Can we agree that experience shows that this situation *will* persist
> until virtually all people on this list decide (of their own accord, or
> because they don't mind giving in to peer pressure) that not feeding the
> trolls *is* the wisest course. I would like to suggest, though, that no
> one assume that this decision can (or should) be forced on anyone.
> Only, respectfully, suggested.

Quite right. And I for one respectfully suggest it to all.

I also suggest that the person sending private emails re: this should
cease, as his efforts are understandable but may not be helping.

And likewise I suggest that the person responding publicly to those
private emails should stop, regardless of whether the other person
stops.

I hate sending emails to this list that don't even have the word
"Ruby" in them (oh, wait, there it is) or even a single line of
code such as x = nil (oh, wait, there it is).

Hal

Francis Hwang

On Apr 22, 2005, at 4:31 PM, Florian Frank wrote:
> The problems with trolls aren't the trolls themselves, but people like
> you, that reply to them and feed their madness and their sadism. If you
> really want to destroy this mailing list, you should continue with your
> behaviour.

Oh, yeah, this is a good way to stop a troll. Declare war, and then
force everybody to pick a side. I know I come to mailing lists so I can
engage in endless debates about who's being more rude.

Francis Hwang
http://f...

Peter Suk

On Apr 22, 2005, at 6:43 PM, Francis Hwang wrote:

> Oh, yeah, this is a good way to stop a troll. Declare war, and then
> force everybody to pick a side. I know I come to mailing lists so I
> can engage in endless debates about who's being more rude.

We should head off all such debates by defining a particular person to
be 'The Rudest.' I hereby volunteer to be the rudest person on this
list. This means that by official fiat, no one can be more rude than
me. Unfortunately, this is not setting the bar very high.

On a barely related note, my Lisp-er coworker was talking with me about
inheritance in Smalltalk, Ruby, and Lisp. It turns out that in Common
Lisp Object System, the superclass of Object is T, or their "true". In
Smalltalk and Ruby, however, the superclass of Object is "nil."

Hence Lisp springs from "Truth." While Smalltalk and Ruby spring from
the "void" or "nothingness." There is an eastern/western religion
thing in there somewhere.

--Peter

--

Florian Frank wrote:
> Jon A. Lambert wrote:
>
>> Please remove me from your "Ilias is Crazy" email list campaign.
>
> This is not a list. It's a private mail you received and forwarded to
> a public mailing list, without asking for the author's permission
> first. This is considered very rude, according to every netiquette I
> know.

I've already stated my position on this in my earlier post echoing Mr.
Hodel's solicitations to black-list some poster to the list. I have no
further comment other than to state it hasn't changed and I respectfully
disagree.

Thank You

--
J. Lambert

Tom Willis

Suely the filters in gmail can accomodate any annoyance.

I'm sure anyone on this list who uses gmail has, like me an assload of
invites sitting around.

So If I may suggest, ask for a gmail account if you are bothered by trolling
types(I suspect I am assumed to be one), spend some time putting some
filters in a gmail account and relax some.

The comedian Bill Hicks had some nice theories. One I'm kind of partial to
is making marijuana not only legal but mandatory. We as a society are way
too uptight.

One mans troll is anothers entertainment.....

--
Thomas G. Willis
http://paperbac...

Sam Roberts

Quoting tom.willis@gmail.com, on Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 09:32:58AM +0900:
> Suely the filters in gmail can accomodate any annoyance.

Can you "kill" an entire discussion thread in gmail, so that once you've
seen that you aren't interested in it, you can kill the entire thread
**and all future messages in that thread**?

That would be a killer feature, not just for the Ilias threads.

See, I don't just want to kill emails specifically from him, I want all
the other posters in that thread, too, but just for that thread.

Is gmail for me?

Sam

Tom Willis

Who knows, I haven't tried. As long as the subject line stays in tact
somewhat.

You can setup filters to automatically archive(which is what I do for news
groups/mailing lists) , so you never get an alert that you have new mail. I
can't imagine setting it up any other way for newsgroup subscriptions with
high traffic an a low signal to noise.

It's got a spell checker too, but you would never know it from reading my
stuff on a friday night.

The point is there's options that each individual can take without having to
force their standards on everyone else(like what I'm doing right now).

--
Thomas G. Willis
http://paperbac...