From: Ara.T.Howard [mailto:Ara.T.Howard@noaa.gov]
Sent: Friday, April 22, 2005 1:45 PM
To: ruby-talk ML; rails@lists.rubyonrails.org
Subject: boulder_denver.rb

you know the drill - this is a call for boulder/denver rubyists to get together and talk shop. drop me a note if you're interested
and i'll put together a list and plan a meeting over coffee, beers, or both ;-)

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| although gold dust is precious, when it gets in your eyes, it
| obstructs your vision. --hsi-tang

Ara.T.Howard

Jon Raphaelson

Ara.T.Howard wrote:
> you know the drill - this is a call for boulder/denver rubyists to get
> together and talk shop. drop me a note if you're interested and i'll put
> together a list and plan a meeting over coffee, beers, or both ;-)
>
> -a

I'm quite interested actually - closer to Boulder is best for me, but
I'm like 5 minutes from US36 so it's not _that_ far to the highway :D

Aria Stewart

On Sat, 2005-04-23 at 04:44 +0900, Ara.T.Howard wrote:
> you know the drill - this is a call for boulder/denver rubyists to get
> together and talk shop. drop me a note if you're interested and i'll put
> together a list and plan a meeting over coffee, beers, or both ;-)

If something regular forms, I might drop by next time I'm up that way. I
won't be a regular since a 700-mile round trip is a bit much, though.

Ari

Michael Garriss

Aredridel said the following on 04/23/05 08:41:
> On Sat, 2005-04-23 at 04:44 +0900, Ara.T.Howard wrote:
>
>>you know the drill - this is a call for boulder/denver rubyists to get
>>together and talk shop. drop me a note if you're interested and i'll put
>>together a list and plan a meeting over coffee, beers, or both ;-)
>

> If something regular forms, I might drop by next time I'm up that way. I
> won't be a regular since a 700-mile round trip is a bit much, though.
>
> Ari

i'm in boulder and i'd love to talk ruby.

Michael

Ara.T.Howard

Rick Nooner

>On Sat, 2005-04-23 at 04:44 +0900, Ara.T.Howard wrote:
>
>you know the drill - this is a call for boulder/denver rubyists to get
>together and talk shop. drop me a note if you're interested and i'll put
>together a list and plan a meeting over coffee, beers, or both ;-)

I'm interested as well and I'm in Broomfield. I'm currently working on
a VOIP test environment written mostly in Ruby at a local telecom and
would like to touch bases with others using Ruby.

--
Rick Nooner
rick@nooner.net

Aredridel

On 4/25/05, Rick Nooner <rick@nooner.net> wrote:
> >On Sat, 2005-04-23 at 04:44 +0900, Ara.T.Howard wrote:
> >
> >you know the drill - this is a call for boulder/denver rubyists to get
> >together and talk shop. drop me a note if you're interested and i'll put
> >together a list and plan a meeting over coffee, beers, or both ;-)
> >

> I'm interested as well and I'm in Broomfield. I'm currently working on
> a VOIP test environment written mostly in Ruby at a local telecom and
> would like to touch bases with others using Ruby.
>
> --

Ooh, spiffy stuff. I've been looking at how hard it would be to use
Ruby as a control language for Asterisk. Neat stuff, that.

Rick Nooner

On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 03:21:30AM +0900, Aredridel wrote:

> Ooh, spiffy stuff. I've been looking at how hard it would be to use
> Ruby as a control language for Asterisk. Neat stuff, that.

Yeah, Asterisk is a cool project and Ruby would make a great control language.

The problem that I've been working on though, revolve around controlling various
pieces of VOIP test equipment in a distributed lab environment and providing a
way of certifying a complete VOIP switching environment that may be made up of
hundreds of computing nodes. Since I have modules that live on each node, it
becomes a big distributed computing problem. There has to be a central system
that controls the testing and report success/problems/failure as well.
Fun stuff :-) and Ruby (with Drb and Rinda) is good at it, too!

This is the first project that I've been able to openly use Ruby and the only
reason that I have the latitude to this is because last year I finished another
distributed systems project under time and under budget using Ruby without
asking permission. This system has required zero maintenance and has been running
since last June. It is made up of over 2000 nodes scattered around the world.

It's sad that companies don't put more faith in their engineering staffs decision
making.

--
Rick Nooner
rick@nooner.net

Tom Copeland

On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 04:17 +0900, Rick Nooner wrote:
> The problem that I've been working on though, revolve around controlling various
> pieces of VOIP test equipment in a distributed lab environment and providing a
> way of certifying a complete VOIP switching environment that may be made up of
> hundreds of computing nodes. Since I have modules that live on each node, it
> becomes a big distributed computing problem. There has to be a central system
> that controls the testing and report success/problems/failure as well.
> Fun stuff :-) and Ruby (with Drb and Rinda) is good at it, too!

You might be interested in ACME, which Rich Kilmer wrote to test a
DARPA-funded distributed agent system:

http://acme.co...

> This is the first project that I've been able to openly use Ruby and the only
> reason that I have the latitude to this is because last year I finished another
> distributed systems project under time and under budget using Ruby without
> asking permission. This system has required zero maintenance and has been running
> since last June. It is made up of over 2000 nodes scattered around the world.

Yup, Ruby is great for this sort of thing...

Yours,

Tom