Gem add_dependency failing

Matt Mower

I am about to release a newer version of Bishop which depends upon the
Stemmer gem. At the end of my Gemspec I have added

s.add_dependency( "stemmer", ">= 1.0.1" )

and rebuilt the gem. I made sure Stemmer was not installed and then
tried to install the new Bishop gem using the local gem file.

According to Page 226 of PickAxe2 when attempting a local installation
of a gem where a dependency is not satisfied I should get an error:

Could not find RubyGem stemmer (>= 1.0.1)

However I am finding that it performs the local installation despite
the dependency not being satisfied and, later, if I try to require
'bishop' I get:

irb(main):001:0> require 'bishop'
Gem::LoadError: Could not find RubyGem Stemmer (>= 1.0.1)

I'm using RubyGems 0.8.10. Can anyone help me?

Matt

--
Matt Mower :: http://matt...

3 Answers

Chad Fowler

Hi Matt!

On 4/21/05, Matt Mower <matt.mower@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am about to release a newer version of Bishop which depends upon the
> Stemmer gem. At the end of my Gemspec I have added
>
> s.add_dependency( "stemmer", ">= 1.0.1" )
>
> and rebuilt the gem. I made sure Stemmer was not installed and then
> tried to install the new Bishop gem using the local gem file.
>
> According to Page 226 of PickAxe2 when attempting a local installation
> of a gem where a dependency is not satisfied I should get an error:
>
> Could not find RubyGem stemmer (>= 1.0.1)
>
> However I am finding that it performs the local installation despite
> the dependency not being satisfied and, later, if I try to require
> 'bishop' I get:

This is a new bug. Thanks for pointing it out. We'll look into it
and try to get it fixed quickly.

Chad

--

Chad Fowler
http://chad...

Chad Fowler

On 4/21/05, Chad Fowler <chadfowler@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Matt!
>
> On 4/21/05, Matt Mower <matt.mower@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am about to release a newer version of Bishop which depends upon the
> > Stemmer gem. At the end of my Gemspec I have added
> >
> > s.add_dependency( "stemmer", ">= 1.0.1" )
> >
> > and rebuilt the gem. I made sure Stemmer was not installed and then
> > tried to install the new Bishop gem using the local gem file.
> >
> > According to Page 226 of PickAxe2 when attempting a local installation
> > of a gem where a dependency is not satisfied I should get an error:
> >
> > Could not find RubyGem stemmer (>= 1.0.1)
> >
> > However I am finding that it performs the local installation despite
> > the dependency not being satisfied and, later, if I try to require
> > 'bishop' I get:
> >

> This is a new bug. Thanks for pointing it out. We'll look into it
> and try to get it fixed quickly.
>
> Chad

Fixed in CVS. I've sent it to Jim for a review. Hopefully we can
make a point release in the next few days.

--

Chad Fowler
http://chad...
http://rubyc...
http://ruby...
http://rubygems.rub... (over 300,000 gems served!)

Matt Mower

Hi Chad,

On 4/21/05, Chad Fowler <chadfowler@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/21/05, Chad Fowler <chadfowler@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Matt!
> >
> > On 4/21/05, Matt Mower <matt.mower@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am about to release a newer version of Bishop which depends upon the
> > > Stemmer gem. At the end of my Gemspec I have added
> > >
> > > s.add_dependency( "stemmer", ">= 1.0.1" )
> > >
> > > and rebuilt the gem. I made sure Stemmer was not installed and then
> > > tried to install the new Bishop gem using the local gem file.
> > >
> > > According to Page 226 of PickAxe2 when attempting a local installation
> > > of a gem where a dependency is not satisfied I should get an error:
> > >
> > > Could not find RubyGem stemmer (>= 1.0.1)
> > >
> > > However I am finding that it performs the local installation despite
> > > the dependency not being satisfied and, later, if I try to require
> > > 'bishop' I get:
> > >

> > This is a new bug. Thanks for pointing it out. We'll look into it
> > and try to get it fixed quickly.
> >
> > Chad
> >

> Fixed in CVS. I've sent it to Jim for a review. Hopefully we can
> make a point release in the next few days.

Cool. Thanks for fixing it so fast! :-)

Matt Mower :: http://matt...