Facets 0.6.3

Brian Buckley

4/18/2005 2:31:00 PM

Hello,

I am getting an error when I attempt to install the "facets" gem. When I
enter

gem install facets

I get the following error message:
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Errno::EINVAL)
Invalid argument - llib/facet/nil/empty?

Are others seeing this (or am I guilty of user error)?

Brian
19 Answers

Trans

Hi Brian,

I just tested myself w/o error.

Since RubyGems is throwing the error and not Facets I'm not sure what
the cause is. Have you tried 'gem update --system' to update to the
lastest RubyGems version?

T.

B. K. Oxley (binkley)

Trans wrote:
> Since RubyGems is throwing the error and not Facets I'm not sure what
> the cause is. Have you tried 'gem update --system' to update to the
> lastest RubyGems version?

I have the most current RubyGems and I have the same message installing
Facets.

Cheers,
--binkley

Chad Fowler

On 4/18/05, Brian Buckley <briankbuckley@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am getting an error when I attempt to install the "facets" gem. When I
> enter
>
> gem install facets
>
> I get the following error message:
> ERROR: While executing gem ... (Errno::EINVAL)
> Invalid argument - llib/facet/nil/empty?
>
> Are others seeing this (or am I guilty of user error)?

Brian, am I right to guess that you are running Windows? Looks like
Facets has files called, for example, "empty?.rb", which is not valid
on Windows. I don't know of a way that you can get Facets to run on
Windows if that's the case, but perhaps its author has prior
experience making it work.

--

Chad Fowler
http://chad...

Trans

What platform are you running?

T.

Brian Buckley

Thanks T.,

At your suggestion I ran 'gem update --system' but unfortunately that didn't
resolve my problem -- I am still seeing the same error.

FWIW I am using RubyGems for a handful of others gems without trouble. In
case it matters I am on Windows XP SP2, Ruby 1.8.2.

Brian

B. K. Oxley (binkley)

Trans wrote:
> What platform are you running?

Yah, the empty?.rb not a valid file name under Cygwin (Windows) gives
the show away.

Cheers,
--binkley

Trans

Ah. Thanks Chad. That was what I was starting to conclude myself.

I've tried to keep the file name as close as reasonably possible to the
main method name(s) of the facet. But I know that RDoc via Rake also
chokes on a couple of the names. I think that all modern file systems
now allow fully arbitrary file names (Although there may yet be some
limitations on this I am unaware of.). So the appearent reason is that
quotes aren't being used by programs when they shell out commands. For
instance, the invalid argument above should probably be:

-l"lib/facet/nil/empty?"

Chad, would that fix the problem?

Thanks,
T.

B. K. Oxley (binkley)

Trans wrote:
> I think that all modern file systems
> now allow fully arbitrary file names (Although there may yet be some
> limitations on this I am unaware of.).

If that is the case, Windows XP still lacks a modern OS. :) Several
characters are forbidden, among them the question mark, asterisk and
colon. Some of the restrictions are in NTFS and the kernel, some are
part of the Win32 API subsystem.

Cheers,
--binkley

Austin Ziegler

On 4/18/05, Trans <transfire@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah. Thanks Chad. That was what I was starting to conclude myself.
>
> I've tried to keep the file name as close as reasonably possible
> to the main method name(s) of the facet. But I know that RDoc via
> Rake also chokes on a couple of the names. I think that all modern
> file systems now allow fully arbitrary file names (Although there
> may yet be some limitations on this I am unaware of.). So the
> appearent reason is that quotes aren't being used by programs when
> they shell out commands. For instance, the invalid argument above
> should probably be:

You would be wrong.

Windows filesystems do NOT allow a long series of characters
(/:?\<>).

Anyone who names a *file* with a question mark or an asterisk should
simply be shot.

As should anyone who has both a README and a Readme or a Makefile
and a makefile.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com
* Alternate: austin@halostatue.ca

Trans

> Anyone who names a *file* with a question mark or an asterisk should
> simply be shot.

Sorry Austin, but that's just a completely asinine statement. First of
all, some might say such things about method names too! --which is what
these file names are based on. Secondly, let's back up a couple decades
and try statements like, "Anyone who names a *file* with more then 8
characters should simply be shot." You may think of filenames as
nothing more the special grepable_computer_ id keys, but the reality is
_people_ have to use them to give documents recognizable names. But
alas as far as I'm concerned we're still in the dark ages when it comes
to managing our data. Why it's not stored in RDBMS yet is beyond me.
Anyhow, this is taking us away from the real issue.

Thanks for the info on the limitations of Window's filenames. I did not
realize they still existed.

So now I have to change the file names. Great! Well, I'll let you all
know when the fixes are uploaded.

Any suggestions on naming these is welcome.

T.