ruby SVG::Graph module problem.

Simon.Mullis

4/18/2005 2:16:00 PM

Hello there all,

As my "learn Ruby" project I am creating a replacement for mrtg-rrd.cgi
in ruby. (i.e. create TimeSeries graphs from RRD databases as SVG. Much
nicer than PNG graphs).

Using SVG::Graph and rrd-ruby (from
http://www.germane-software.com/software/SVG/S... and
http://www.caddr.com/code/ruby-rrd-... respectively.)

So, starting with the SVG mod, I am working through the examples
included and all works as expected.

Except for anything including Time / Dates - SVG::Graph::TimeSeries and
SVG::Graph::Schedule.

Could this be a localisation issue? (I'm in the UK).
A bug in the module?

#======Code==========
#!/usr/bin/ruby
require 'SVG/Graph/TimeSeries'
# Data sets are x,y pairs
data1 = ["17/6/72", 11, "11/1/72", 7, "13/4/04 17:31", 11, "11/9/01", 9,
"11/9/85", 2, "1/9/88", 1, "15/1/95", 13]
data2 = ["1/8/73", 18, "1/2/77", 15, "1/10/98", 4, "1/5/02", 14,
"1/3/95", 6, "1/8/91", 12, "1/12/87", 6, "1/5/84", 17, "1/10/80", 12]
title = "This is the title"
graph = SVG::Graph::TimeSeries.new( {
:width => 640,
:height => 480,
:graph_title => title,
:show_graph_title => true,
:no_css => true,
:key => true,
:scale_x_integers => true,
:scale_y_integers => true,
:min_x_value => 0,
:min_y_value => 0,
:show_data_labels => true,
:show_x_guidelines => true,
:show_x_title => true,
:x_title => "Time",
:show_y_title => true,
:y_title => "Ice Cream Cones",
:y_title_text_direction => :bt,
:stagger_x_labels => true,
:x_label_format => "%d/%m/%y",
})
graph.add_data({
:data => data1,
:title => "Projected",
})
graph.add_data({
:data => data2,
:title => "Actual",
})

print graph.burn()
#==========================

#========output============
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/date/format.rb:236:in `dup': can't dup Fixnum
(TypeError)
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/date/format.rb:236:in `_parse'
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/parsedate.rb:9:in `parsedate'
from
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/SVG/Graph/TimeSeries.rb:176:in
`min_x_value='
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/SVG/Graph/Graph.rb:358:in
`send'
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/SVG/Graph/Graph.rb:358:in
`init_with'
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/SVG/Graph/Graph.rb:357:in
`each'
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/SVG/Graph/Graph.rb:357:in
`init_with'
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/SVG/Graph/Graph.rb:155:in
`initialize'
from svg_time_series.rb:7:in `new'
from svg_time_series.rb:7
==========================

Any hints / tips / suggestions?

I've tried contacting the module author with no success so I was
wondering if it was anything obvious to you hardened Ruby folk.

Please help me avoid using Perl!!

Many thanks in advance,

SM

PS. Same results using ruby 1.8.2 from the one-click installer on WinXP
and Fedora Core 4 - test2. Both systems localised to en_GB.

Equinox Converged Solutions
Tel: +44 (0)1252 405 600
http://www.equinoxsol...
Equinox Converged Solutions is a trading name of Synetrix Holdings Limited.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
This message is intended solely for the use of the Individual or organisation to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or confidential information. If you have received this message in error, please notify the originator immediately.
If you are not the intended recipient, you should not use, copy, alter, or disclose the contents of this message. All information or opinions expressed in this message and/or any attachments are those of the author and are not necessarily those of Synetrix Holdings Limited.
Synetrix Holdings Limited accepts no responsibility for loss or damage arising from its use, including damage from virus.

Gavin Kistner

On Apr 18, 2005, at 8:16 AM, <Simon.Mullis@equinoxsolutions.com> wrote:
> Could this be a localisation issue? (I'm in the UK).

Yes, I believe so. I see you have:

> data1 = ["17/6/72", 11, "11/1/72", 7, "13/4/04 17:31", 11, "11/9/01",
> 9,
> "11/9/85", 2, "1/9/88", 1, "15/1/95", 13]

and then I see errors during the parsing. It appears that you have your
dates in dd/mm/yy format; Parsedate.parsedate requires 'mm/dd/yy' when
only that information is supplied.

See the table on page 733 of Pickaxe 2, or
http://phrogz.net/ProgrammingRuby/lib_standard.html...

SER

Simon,

I got your email; I just haven't had time to look into the issue.

--- SER

Maria

Mel Rowing wrote:
> On Mar 25, 3:37 pm, Oppressed Subject <swilbu...@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> That said, how long do you think an unpopular rich guy with his own
>> personal army will last in a society where anyone with justice to mete
>> out can walk into a store and buy a .50cal sniper rifle with a passive
>> light amplification scope and armour piercing Zirconium-incendiary
>> ammunition or a few bricks of PE4, no questions asked?
>
> Why buy it?
>
> Wouldn't he be free to break into the store and steal it?
>
> If I were you I'd give up for today!

What happened before we had enforceable law? What happens in African
countries where there are few laws and even fewer 'policemen'?
Do people just walk up and take goods without paying as a rule? How did
we build such huge trade hundreds of years ago if people just stole
things instead of paying?
That is where policing and law have gone wrong IMV- they are all now
based on the assumption that we will do wrong if we think we will get
away with it. How the presumption of innocence was ever built I'll never
know.

Maria

Mel Rowing wrote:
> On Mar 25, 3:21 pm, Maria <oldwo...@stupidnewsreader.com> wrote:
>> William Black wrote:
>>> "Maria" <oldwo...@stupidnewsreader.com> wrote in message
>>> Well, until the rich guy down the road hires a load of thugs, buys them
>>> sophisticated weapons and tells you to start work as an agricultural
>>> labourer tomorrow, oh, and your daughters will report for 'work' at what
>>> he now calls 'his castle' as soon as they reach puberty...
>>> If you attempt to leave his employ you will be shot.
>>> Welcome to the new feudalism...
>> He said 'zero laws that protect the stupid' - I presume he meant the
>> trivial law that has been brought in over the past 10-15 years, not the
>> fundamental laws against murder, enslavement and extortion.
>> Perhaps he could clarify...
>
> No! He made himself quite clear. he said:
>
> "Abolish the police, laws and taxes. Minimise government. Arm
> everyone.
> Let people self-police. "

Ok my mistake.
But even so, people were self-policing for milennia.

PeterSaxton

On 25 Mar, 16:20, Maria <oldwo...@stupidnewsreader.com> wrote:
> Mel Rowing wrote:
> > On Mar 25, 3:37 pm, Oppressed Subject <swilbu...@googlemail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> >> That said, how long do you think an unpopular rich guy with his own
> >> personal army will last in a society where anyone with justice to mete
> >> out can walk into a store and buy a .50cal sniper rifle with a passive
> >> light amplification scope and armour piercing Zirconium-incendiary
> >> ammunition or a few bricks of PE4, no questions asked?
>
> > Why buy it?
>
> > Wouldn't he be free to break into the store and steal it?
>
> > If I were you I'd give up for today!
>
> What happened before we had enforceable law? What happens in African
> countries where there are few laws and even fewer 'policemen'?

Mass murder and and large amounts of crime.

"A survey for the period 1998-2000 compiled by the United Nations
Office on Drugs and Crime ranked South Africa second for assault and
murder (by all means) per capita and first for rapes per capita."

> Do people just walk up and take goods without paying as a rule? How did
> we build such huge trade hundreds of years ago if people just stole
> things instead of paying?

Of course they do.

"South Africa also has a bad record for car hijackings when compared
to industrialised countries largely associated with the lower rate of
car ownership. One South African insurance company, Hollard Insurance,
no longer insures Volkswagen Citi Golfs as they are one of the most
frequently hijacked vehicles in South Africa. In some areas there are
road signs that indicate a high car-jack zone.
A recent new trend in South Africa is for thieves to enter restaurants
and rob the patrons eating there. In July 2008, the Restaurant
Association of South Africa (RASA) was forced to raise the security
classification of the capital's restaurants to "caution areas". The
RASA said since January, 15 people have been killed in 687 attacks
carried out on RASA members' businesses."

> That is where policing and law have gone wrong IMV- they are all now
> based on the assumption that we will do wrong if we think we will get
> away with it. How the presumption of innocence was ever built I'll never
> know.

What are you suggesting?

PeterSaxton

On 25 Mar, 16:21, "Ret." <xxx> wrote:
> Oppressed Subject wrote:
> > On Mar 25, 2:38 pm, Mel Rowing <mel.row...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> >> But note he does condone people taking it upon themselves to smash up
> >> other peoples property.
>
> >> Why not condone lynching and have done with it
>
> > A drop in the ocean compared to the unjustly acquired wealth of "Sir"
> > Fred Goodwin and the untold misery he has been a major contributor
> > of.
>
> > I do agree though that his punishment so far has proven to be
> > disproportionate. :)
>
> And which has been meted out by vigilantes of the sort that you propose!
>
> Ret.

Luckily you have to have two people to form a political party in this
country!

Maria

PeterSaxton wrote:
> On 25 Mar, 16:20, Maria <oldwo...@stupidnewsreader.com> wrote:
>> Mel Rowing wrote:
>>> Why buy it?
>>> Wouldn't he be free to break into the store and steal it?
>>> If I were you I'd give up for today!
>> What happened before we had enforceable law? What happens in African
>> countries where there are few laws and even fewer 'policemen'?
>
> Mass murder and and large amounts of crime.
>
> "A survey for the period 1998-2000 compiled by the United Nations
> Office on Drugs and Crime ranked South Africa second for assault and
> murder (by all means) per capita and first for rapes per capita."
>
>> Do people just walk up and take goods without paying as a rule? How did
>> we build such huge trade hundreds of years ago if people just stole
>> things instead of paying?
>
> Of course they do.
>
> "South Africa also has a bad record for car hijackings when compared
> to industrialised countries largely associated with the lower rate of
> car ownership. One South African insurance company, Hollard Insurance,
> no longer insures Volkswagen Citi Golfs as they are one of the most
> frequently hijacked vehicles in South Africa. In some areas there are
> road signs that indicate a high car-jack zone.
> A recent new trend in South Africa is for thieves to enter restaurants
> and rob the patrons eating there. In July 2008, the Restaurant
> Association of South Africa (RASA) was forced to raise the security
> classification of the capital's restaurants to "caution areas". The
> RASA said since January, 15 people have been killed in 687 attacks
> carried out on RASA members' businesses."

I said Africa, not South Africa. As in traditional societies, not modern
ones which have gone to pieces.

>> That is where policing and law have gone wrong IMV- they are all now
>> based on the assumption that we will do wrong if we think we will get
>> away with it. How the presumption of innocence was ever built I'll never
>> know.
>
> What are you suggesting?

That people can and should be trusted. Is that so horrific an idea?

Maria

Maria wrote:
> PeterSaxton wrote:
>>> What happened before we had enforceable law? What happens in African
>>> countries where there are few laws and even fewer 'policemen'?
>>
>> Mass murder and and large amounts of crime.
>>
>> "A survey for the period 1998-2000 compiled by the United Nations
>> Office on Drugs and Crime ranked South Africa second for assault and
>> murder (by all means) per capita and first for rapes per capita."
>>
>>> Do people just walk up and take goods without paying as a rule? How did
>>> we build such huge trade hundreds of years ago if people just stole
>>> things instead of paying?
>>
>> Of course they do.
>>
>> "South Africa also has a bad record for car hijackings when compared
>> to industrialised countries largely associated with the lower rate of
>> car ownership. One South African insurance company, Hollard Insurance,
>> no longer insures Volkswagen Citi Golfs as they are one of the most
>> frequently hijacked vehicles in South Africa. In some areas there are
>> road signs that indicate a high car-jack zone.
>> A recent new trend in South Africa is for thieves to enter restaurants
>> and rob the patrons eating there. In July 2008, the Restaurant
>> Association of South Africa (RASA) was forced to raise the security
>> classification of the capital's restaurants to "caution areas". The
>> RASA said since January, 15 people have been killed in 687 attacks
>> carried out on RASA members' businesses."
>
> I said Africa, not South Africa. As in traditional societies, not modern
> ones which have gone to pieces.
>

>>> That is where policing and law have gone wrong IMV- they are all now
>>> based on the assumption that we will do wrong if we think we will get
>>> away with it. How the presumption of innocence was ever built I'll never
>>> know.
>>
>> What are you suggesting?
>>

> That people can and should be trusted. Is that so horrific an idea?

*and* that perhaps it is the lack of trust that causes societies in the
condition of South Africa to arise in the first place.

Maria

PeterSaxton wrote:
> On 25 Mar, 15:44, Oppressed Subject <swilbu...@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> Could the board just take the money and disappear to another country?
>> Which they could also do in our present system.
>>
>>> There wouldn't be any way of getting them to return.
>> Grudges have a way of following people around.
>
> Presently there is a system of law and international cooperation.
>
> Your system appears to think that it's down to the individual to mete
> out justice.

It used to be down to the community, which would whatever was in it's
best interest, and that community was in the best position to know what
was in it's best interest. Justice and policing has been centralised and
IMHO, to our detriment.

PeterSaxton

On 25 Mar, 16:41, Maria <oldwo...@stupidnewsreader.com> wrote:
> PeterSaxton wrote:
> >> What happened before we had enforceable law? What happens in African
> >> countries where there are few laws and even fewer 'policemen'?
>
> > Mass murder and and large amounts of crime.
>
> > "A survey for the period 1998-2000 compiled by the United Nations
> > Office on Drugs and Crime ranked South Africa second for assault and
> > murder (by all means) per capita and first for rapes per capita."
>
> >> Do people just walk up and take goods without paying as a rule? How did
> >> we build such huge trade hundreds of years ago if people just stole
> >> things instead of paying?
>
> > Of course they do.
>
> > "South Africa also has a bad record for car hijackings when compared
> > to industrialised countries largely associated with the lower rate of
> > car ownership. One South African insurance company, Hollard Insurance,
> > no longer insures Volkswagen Citi Golfs as they are one of the most
> > frequently hijacked vehicles in South Africa. In some areas there are
> > road signs that indicate a high car-jack zone.
> > A recent new trend in South Africa is for thieves to enter restaurants
> > and rob the patrons eating there. In July 2008, the Restaurant
> > Association of South Africa (RASA) was forced to raise the security
> > classification of the capital's restaurants to "caution areas". The
> > RASA said since January, 15 people have been killed in 687 attacks
> > carried out on RASA members' businesses."
>
> I said Africa, not South Africa. As in traditional societies, not modern
> ones which have gone to pieces.

Sudan 2 million dead
Rwanda 1 million dead

Both of the above are part of Africa. Are they traditional enough for
you?

> >> That is where policing and law have gone wrong IMV- they are all now
> >> based on the assumption that we will do wrong if we think we will get
> >> away with it. How the presumption of innocence was ever built I'll never
> >> know.
>
> > What are you suggesting?
>
> That people can and should be trusted. Is that so horrific an idea?

In what way should this idea manifest itself?