A Compiler Quality Ruby Lexer in Ruby

Peter Suk

4/18/2005 5:33:00 AM

Folks,

Does anyone know of a program in Ruby that 100% accurately lexes Ruby
1.8? I am prepared to translate a Ruby lexer into Ruby, but I'd rather
have one that's already written.

--Peter

--
There's neither heaven nor hell, save what we grant ourselves.
There's neither fairness nor justice, save what we grant each other.

2 Answers

Simon Strandgaard

On 4/18/05, Peter Suk <peter.kwangjun.suk@mac.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know of a program in Ruby that 100% accurately lexes Ruby
> 1.8? I am prepared to translate a Ruby lexer into Ruby, but I'd rather
> have one that's already written.

I think Ripper is the most popular one.

http://rubyforge.org/projec...

--
Simon Strandgaard

Peter Suk

On Apr 18, 2005, at 1:08 AM, Simon Strandgaard wrote:

> On 4/18/05, Peter Suk <peter.kwangjun.suk@mac.com> wrote:
>> Does anyone know of a program in Ruby that 100% accurately lexes Ruby
>> 1.8? I am prepared to translate a Ruby lexer into Ruby, but I'd
>> rather
>> have one that's already written.
>
> I think Ripper is the most popular one.

I think I cannot use Ripper for my purposes, since its functionality is
not 100% implemented in Ruby. It is partially implemented in C in the
Matz Ruby VM. I need a Ruby lexer & parser implemented 100% in Ruby.

--Peter