ASP.NET Forms Authentication and Webservice Problem

Sacha Korell

1/24/2003 5:39:00 AM

We are using forms authentication within a web application to login and
authenticate users.
<authorization>
<deny users="?" />
</authorization>

We've implemented a mobile device to call a web service that resides within
our application, but when we call it we get an error because the request is
not authenticated.
Is there any way around the authentication?

Is it possible to make an entry in the application's web.config in the root
to allow access to unauthenticated users to the webservice directory? Or
better yet somehow authenticate the consumer to the web application?

I have seen the following snippet in the IBuySpy web.config:

<location path="OrderList.aspx">
<system.web>
<authorization>
<deny users="?" />
</authorization>
</system.web>
</location>

I was thinking that I could alter the statement to say:

<location path="MyWebserviceDirectory/MyWebservice.asmx">
<system.web>
<authorization>
<allow users="?" />
</authorization>
</system.web>
</location>

,but that doesn't seem to work. What exactly is the <location> attribute
for?

Thanks,

Sacha