Typed Datasets, annotations, and web services...

Kevin Finke

1/23/2003 6:38:00 PM

All,

I'm trying to do something which seems pretty logical to me, but I seem to
be running into several roadblocks. I have a web service that exposes
methods which return a typed dataset. However, I want to annotate that
typed dataset not just to make the client code more readable, but also to
handle how DBNull values are handled.

The problem is that when the WebReference is created, it pulls the
definition for my typed dataset down to the proxy, but it skips the
annotations! So, I tried another method. I moved the typed dataset schema
into an assembly of it's own. Then my WebService project and my WinForm
application both reference that dataset assembly. However, then I get build
errors on my methods which return the typed dataset, claiming that
"MyService.MyTypedDataset" is not the same as
"MyDatasetAssembly.MyTypedDataset".

How do we get around this?

--
Kevin Finke