Peter Kaffanke

1/23/2003 5:51:00 PM

Hi all,
i wrote a simple WebService "HelloWorld" with VS.NET
WebService-Wizard - the only thing i had to do was
removing 4 comment double slashes. It worked well
immediately. I tested it with IE6 and
URL "http://localhost/WebService1/Service1.asmx" and i got
the desired page with the service description. When i
tried just the same on a second - nearly identical
computer - i instead get a prompt to download this page.
Debugging the WebService on this second computer under
VS.NET is also not possible. I get a message "unable to
start debugging". I followed all the hints given:
repairing framework, etc., etc. Nothing helped.
Thanks for any hint
4 Answers

Manni

Is the .NET framework installed on the second computer???

If it is a subdir -- is it an app???
For the second idea: open inetmgmt move to the directory, select properties (right mous)
In the "app-section" say create!

Manfred

(Bill Cheng (MS))

Hi Peter,

Usually the problem is caused by incorrect IIS mappings (e.g. .aspx
extension is not mapped to aspnet_isapi.dll in IIS). You may try to repair
IIS mappings first using the following article:
HOWTO: Repair IIS Mapping After You Remove and Reinstall IIS
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-...

In addition, what is the detailed error message when you debug?

I am looking forward to your reply.

Regards,

Bill Cheng
Microsoft Support Engineer
--------------------
| From: "Peter Kaffanke" <eneropt@t-online.de>
| Sender: "Peter Kaffanke" <eneropt@t-online.de>
| Subject: simplest WebService
| Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 08:51:42 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
|
| Hi all,
| i wrote a simple WebService "HelloWorld" with VS.NET
| WebService-Wizard - the only thing i had to do was
| removing 4 comment double slashes. It worked well
| immediately. I tested it with IE6 and
| URL "http://localhost/WebService1/Service1.asmx" and i got
| the desired page with the service description. When i
| tried just the same on a second - nearly identical
| computer - i instead get a prompt to download this page.
| Debugging the WebService on this second computer under
| VS.NET is also not possible. I get a message "unable to
| start debugging". I followed all the hints given:
| repairing framework, etc., etc. Nothing helped.
| Thanks for any hint

Peter Kaffanke

Repairing the extension mapping did help!
Thank you!

us;q306005

>In addition, what is the detailed error message when you
debug?

>I am looking forward to your reply.

confers no rights.

>Regards,
>
>Bill Cheng
>Microsoft Support Engineer
>--------------------
>| From: "Peter Kaffanke" <eneropt@t-online.de>
>| Sender: "Peter Kaffanke" <eneropt@t-online.de>
>| Subject: simplest WebService
>| Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 08:51:42 -0800
>| Newsgroups:
>|
>| Hi all,
>| i wrote a simple WebService "HelloWorld" with VS.NET
>| WebService-Wizard - the only thing i had to do was
>| removing 4 comment double slashes. It worked well
>| immediately. I tested it with IE6 and
>| URL "http://localhost/WebService1/Service1.asmx" and i
got
>| the desired page with the service description. When i
>| tried just the same on a second - nearly identical
>| computer - i instead get a prompt to download this
page.
>| Debugging the WebService on this second computer under
>| VS.NET is also not possible. I get a message "unable to
>| start debugging". I followed all the hints given:
>| repairing framework, etc., etc. Nothing helped.
>| Thanks for any hint
>|

>.

(Bill Cheng (MS))

Hi Peter,

I am glad that the solution worked. Should you have any further questions
or concerns, please feel free to send your post here.

Thanks for using Microsoft newsgroup.

Regards,

Bill Cheng
Microsoft Support Engineer
--------------------
| From: "Peter Kaffanke" <eneropt@t-online.de>
| Sender: "Peter Kaffanke" <eneropt@t-online.de>
| Subject: RE: simplest WebService
| Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 06:05:49 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
|
| Repairing the extension mapping did help!
| Thank you!

| >|
| >| Hi all,
| >| i wrote a simple WebService "HelloWorld" with VS.NET
| >| WebService-Wizard - the only thing i had to do was
| >| removing 4 comment double slashes. It worked well
| >| immediately. I tested it with IE6 and
| >| URL "http://localhost/WebService1/Service1.asmx" and i
| got
| >| the desired page with the service description. When i
| >| tried just the same on a second - nearly identical
| >| computer - i instead get a prompt to download this
| page.
| >| Debugging the WebService on this second computer under
| >| VS.NET is also not possible. I get a message "unable to
| >| start debugging". I followed all the hints given:
| >| repairing framework, etc., etc. Nothing helped.
| >| Thanks for any hint
| >|