Pocket IE and Windows Authentication Logout

Christopher Nash

1/23/2003 6:43:00 PM

Hello.

I am currently developing a dot-net asp-forms application intended for use
within an intranet. One part of the application is targetted at wireless
PocketPC devices running Pocket Internet Explorer. We are using Windows
authentication to control access to different pieces of functionality within
the application.

I am trying to determine some method of reliably logging a user OUT when
they are done. On a desktop machine, I simply use some javascript to close
the browser window. However the "window.close()" method is ignored by
PocketIE. Its impractical to ask the user to close the browser, because
that requires them opening the task manager and ending the task. Quite
frankly, this will be beyond the abilities of most of my users.

I have tried setting Response.StatusCode = 401 in the Page object. This
*appears* to work, throwing a new login dialog to the user. However, if the
user simply clicks "Cancel" it goes to the previous page and the previous
user is still authenticated.

I suppose I could write an appliction that runs on the device and closes
PocketIE for the user whenever they click a "logout" button. However, we
are trying to avoid installing any non-standard software on the device.
Doing so would seem to defeat the purpose of an asp-forms based application.

I've seen similar questions asked many times over the past 12 months or so,
and noone has responded to it. If you have any ideas, I think there are
many of us who like to hear them.

Thanks,
Christopher Nash