Christopher Cane

I'm looking for a way to persist on the client the
TreeView.HTC file used in the TreeView ASP.NET Web Server
Control (currently unsupported by Microsoft.) Seems that
every time my web page is called using a new browser
session, the TreeView.HTC file (73K) is downloaded with
the TreeView Control on the web page. Thanks, Chris.
1 Answer

(Eldon Lei)

Hi Chris:

It seems to me that IE is not caching the HTC file in this case. You could
explicitly set the expiration header for this HTC file in the IIS settings.
However, since the HTC file is not really within a virtual directory (it
should be under %system drive%:\Inetpub\wwwroot\webctrl_client\1_0 or
whichever ASP.NET version you have), it is difficult to set the expiration
header for it. You could try to manually pull the HTC file into your
project, modify the reference so that it's pointing to the HTC file within
the project folder, and within IIS, right click on the file and set the
expiration header for the file. If you set it to, e.g. 1 week, then within
that time span IE should not go and download this file everytime when users
visit this page.

Hope this helps,
Eldon