iis security file access thru network

Grant

1/21/2003 11:35:00 PM

I am trying to create a webservice that accesses a file
on the local domain, however when i try to create it, it
totally fails.

I have two clues, either .net wont let me access the
directory or iis wont.

IIS - i tried to set the anon login user to a user that
has access to the domain/computer. ex(microsoft\testuser)
I then tried to create a virtual director to the location
and though it created the virtual directory with an Xerror
I could browse it. //localhost/virtualdir/ and see the
stuff i wanted, however the webservice still failed.

Any clues/code in c# would be greatly appreciated.
TIA
Grant
1 Answer

Yasser Shohoud [MS]

Grant,

I suspect that you've written you web service in ASP.Net. In that case the
security setings you need to specify are for ASP.Net. For insance does is
use impersonation or the local machine account.

Here is an article that talks about doing impersonation in ASP.Net.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en...

You may also want to check out

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/c...
l/cpconaspnetwebapplicationsecurity.asp

and...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/c...
l/cpconaspnetimpersonation.asp

Hope that helps,
Mike Clark [MS]

P.S. Remember to watch for word wrap on the links above.

purposes only.