microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk

Where is .NET CONFIGURATION data stored for Enterprise ?

Lee Gillie

1/17/2003 7:26:00 PM

Registry? XML? Somewhere else? I want to view/edit this data manually.
I need to tweak out an entry I made. The tool warns you an entry might
goof up the data, and indeed does, and provides no way to fix it
because it can no longer be started again. It seems to goof other
tools as well.

Sorry about cross-posting, but there doesn't seem to be anyone who
understands .NET security in the group this message really belongs to:
microsoft.public.dotnet.security (or at least responses are few and
far between!!)

Deployment of components for execution in NT Services has been a
nightmare, culminating in a corrupt configuration database. Tools
don't do what they are documented to, failing to perform the edit
functions, and there are not enough hints about the failures to know
how to get the tools to work. Our system is so secure now that we can
not get ANY production stuff out, which we have migrated to .NET. Do I
sound frustrated?

Best regards - Lee Gillie, Spokane WA

2 Answers

Lee Gillie

Found them:

C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\CONFIG

Fortunately the previous files were there also, named with xxxxx.old, and so
I restored to those, and my .NET world has come back to life. I don't have
a clue what the xxxxxx.cch files are for, but I backed them up prior to
doing the name changes of the current and old files

- Lee

Shawn Farkas [MS]

Hi Lee,

The security.config.cch file is a cache file that the CAS engine uses
when resolving policy.

-Shawn

Please do not send email directly to this alias, this alias is for newsgroup
purposes only.