Stephan Schaem

Michael

"Stephan Schaem" <sschaem@seriousmagic.com> wrote in message
news:#nb8FCcvCHA.640@TK2MSFTNGP12...

>My first impression is that Windows Forms is definitely not Win32, good
thing, but its not that much simpler.

Are you kidding? It takes only a few lines of code to do what it would take
a hundred lines of Win32 code.

>(Is the .Net Framework, Windows Forms, based on Win32? a better MFC?)

No. It's not just simply a wrapper over Win32 as MFC mainly is.

>I personally dont need to write my app in a mix of language, so I dont see
much Windows Forms benefits over
>then Win32... so if its all a wrapper for win32 call (ala MFC, WTL) I will
keep using Win32/C++ native.

I've used all of that and found Win Forms to be the easiest and most
efficient.

(Tian Min Huang)

.NET Framework provides runtime for WinForm Apps. In addition, I recommend
you the following website for more information on Visual C++:
http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/...

Have a nice day!

Regards,
HuangTM

Stephan Schaem

"Michael" <infomike@comcast.net> wrote in message news:e$aK0wdvCHA.2372@TK2MSFTNGP09...

> "Stephan Schaem" <sschaem@seriousmagic.com> wrote in message
>
> >My first impression is that Windows Forms is definitely not Win32, good
> thing, but its not that much simpler.
>
> Are you kidding? It takes only a few lines of code to do what it would take
> a hundred lines of Win32 code.

The sample code I seen was still 300 line of so for a pannel with buttons on it.

> >(Is the .Net Framework, Windows Forms, based on Win32? a better MFC?)
>
> No. It's not just simply a wrapper over Win32 as MFC mainly is.

It seem their is then a possibility that win32 is 'phase out' in the future,
that to say new features/functionality will be added to windows forms but not
win32...
That could be a could reason alone to switch, but the fact that the doc
is visual basic and c# centric, is still a turn off.

On the technical side. If Windows Form are not using GDI, how is the UI being
rendered on the desktop?

> >I personally dont need to write my app in a mix of language, so I dont see
> much Windows Forms benefits over
> >then Win32... so if its all a wrapper for win32 call (ala MFC, WTL) I will
> keep using Win32/C++ native.
>
> I've used all of that and found Win Forms to be the easiest and most
> efficient.

I found the speed of the sample slow, is this to be expected?
Is this because the core UI is possibly not using graphic card acceleration?

Thanks for your experience using Windows Form,

Stephan

PS: This is a big jump, I hope people dont mind me being really critical.

Stephan Schaem

WinForms uses the .Net framework, but I have to assume the .Net framework is implemented using Win32
at some level?
If not, how does the framework support Windowing/graphic function to implement the WinForm features?
I saw some words about GDI+ and windows forms... and I see that GDI+ is not HW accelerated...

My apprehension so far running a C++/winForm sample is that their might be a speed issue compared
to direct Win32 programming? Is this founded? If windows forms use GDI+, then its will be much slower.

BTW, I'm drowning in Info... I find it hard to scan pages and pages of info,
often not intended for 'me' / (A Desktop application developer)

But reading gathering bits here and there, it seem Windows Form is not for high performance application
development that interact with DirectX components and/or GDI components.

In short, my main interest is developing 'XP Visual Style' compatible UI that are quicker/easier to design
then with WTL and is as or more efficient with dropping DirectX (DirectShow, Direct3D compatibility).
(I personally dislike WTL very much :)

I decided to spend today experimenting and learning about developing a WinForm application.
So I will hopefully post a more educated recap later on.

Thanks for the pointer,

Stephan