Lloyd Dupont

I have a "multilanguage" application. I have a Java application. Really
java, compiled with javac and run with Sun's JVM (NOT J#).
And I also have a .NET application (write in C#)

Problem: I want all of them to communicate, if possible with a high level
protocol (like RMI or Remoting)

I found XML RPC, but it needs a WebServer.
I know about Corba, but you need an ORB and, beside, it has always seems
awfully complicated to me.

Does any of you have an other idea ?

12 Answers

Ajay K. Agrawal

You can use sockets.

-Ajay

"Lloyd Dupont" <lloyd@galador.net> wrote in message
Hi,

I have a "multilanguage" application. I have a Java application. Really
java, compiled with javac and run with Sun's JVM (NOT J#).
And I also have a .NET application (write in C#)

Problem: I want all of them to communicate, if possible with a high level
protocol (like RMI or Remoting)

I found XML RPC, but it needs a WebServer.
I know about Corba, but you need an ORB and, beside, it has always seems
awfully complicated to me.

Does any of you have an other idea ?

Lloyd Dupont

oh dear...
I explain you, a 'high level communication protocol' obviously use socket.
but it authorise you to write simple method call. All networking code being
hide/implemente in the RPC tool/API.....
do you dare compare Socket to Remoting ?
of course Remoting use socket, of course, but it had much more value....

Anyway, after further reading it seems that XML-RPC (http://www....)
could be used as standalone application....

"Ajay K. Agrawal" <ajaykagrawal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You can use sockets.
>
> -Ajay
>
> "Lloyd Dupont" <lloyd@galador.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a "multilanguage" application. I have a Java application. Really
> java, compiled with javac and run with Sun's JVM (NOT J#).
> And I also have a .NET application (write in C#)
>
> Problem: I want all of them to communicate, if possible with a high level
> protocol (like RMI or Remoting)
>
> I found XML RPC, but it needs a WebServer.
> I know about Corba, but you need an ORB and, beside, it has always seems
> awfully complicated to me.
>
> Does any of you have an other idea ?

Nick Wienholt

Why not use SOAP? .NET has great support, and most modern Java libraries do
too.

Nick Wienholt, MVP
Sydney Deep .NET User Group www.sdnug.org

"Lloyd Dupont" <lloyd@galador.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a "multilanguage" application. I have a Java application. Really
> java, compiled with javac and run with Sun's JVM (NOT J#).
> And I also have a .NET application (write in C#)
>
> Problem: I want all of them to communicate, if possible with a high level
> protocol (like RMI or Remoting)
>
> I found XML RPC, but it needs a WebServer.
> I know about Corba, but you need an ORB and, beside, it has always seems
> awfully complicated to me.
>
> Does any of you have an other idea ?

Lloyd Dupont

hu ? why not ...
without looking like a dummy I want something simple which spare me anywork.

I want someting where I don't care about underlying protocol, except they
communicate together.

So far I'm confident that .NET could speak with itself using SOAP or some
others protocol. But I dont know about Java.
Whereas if you ever go there:
http://www.... you will see that many language (I target Java,
ObjectiveC & C#) have a 'XML RPC package' were you don't care about
underlying protocol (actually XML) it just interoperate with a few line of
code.
Cool, it's what I was looking for.

But, however, I'm curious, could you point me out some link where I would
find resource/tutorial/howto make 2 application spoke together (high level
communcation=> method call), (without a WebServer, if possible), in a few
line.
And with dev kit for .NET/Java/Objective-C (C would be ok instead of
ObjectiveC)

Nick Wienholt

> But, however, I'm curious, could you point me out some link where I would
> find resource/tutorial/howto make 2 application spoke together (high level
> communcation=> method call), (without a WebServer, if possible), in a few
> line.
> And with dev kit for .NET/Java/Objective-C (C would be ok instead of
> ObjectiveC)

SOAP support in .NET uses zero lines of code - you simply add a web service
reference, and program against the reference like a normal object. See
other vendors websites for their SOAP offerings. A quick look at the
http://ja... shows SOAP featured in the first article listed on the
Java homepage.

SOAP doesn't mandate the use of a web server - you simply need an
application listening on a particular port for SOAP requests. A web server
generally makes this easier, but you could write a custom Windows Service to
do it too.

Nick Wienholt, MVP
Sydney Deep .NET User Group www.sdnug.org

Lloyd Dupont

mmhh...
you're right....
I stop playing the dummy and look at that.
Thanks for your patient reminders.

> SOAP support in .NET uses zero lines of code - you simply add a web
service
> reference, and program against the reference like a normal object. See
> other vendors websites for their SOAP offerings. A quick look at the
> http://ja... shows SOAP featured in the first article listed on the
> Java homepage.
>
> SOAP doesn't mandate the use of a web server - you simply need an
> application listening on a particular port for SOAP requests. A web
server
> generally makes this easier, but you could write a custom Windows Service
> do it too.
>

> Nick Wienholt, MVP
> Sydney Deep .NET User Group www.sdnug.org

Jon Davis

> SOAP doesn't mandate the use of a web server - you simply need an
> application listening on a particular port for SOAP requests. A web
server
> generally makes this easier, but you could write a custom Windows Service
> do it too.

Any service running on port 80 that handles HTTP requests is considered a
web server. You don't necessarily need a full-blown
_web_application_server_, but it's pretty difficult to implement a SOAP
listener without one.

Jon

Jon Davis

hmm I suppose there might be SOAP listener classes in the .NET framework
that facilitate the HTTP request/response handling without the use of IIS?

Jon

"Jon Davis" <jon@REMOVE.ME.PLEASE.jondavis.net> wrote in message
> > SOAP doesn't mandate the use of a web server - you simply need an
> > application listening on a particular port for SOAP requests. A web
> server
> > generally makes this easier, but you could write a custom Windows
Service
> > do it too.
>
> Any service running on port 80 that handles HTTP requests is considered a
> web server. You don't necessarily need a full-blown
> _web_application_server_, but it's pretty difficult to implement a SOAP
> listener without one.
>
> Jon

Nick Wienholt

> hmm I suppose there might be SOAP listener classes in the .NET framework
> that facilitate the HTTP request/response handling without the use of IIS?

Yep - the remoting infrastructure, and the HttpServerChannel in particular.

Nick Wienholt, MVP
Sydney Deep .NET User Group www.sdnug.org

Jon Davis

cool