microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk

Windows Service refuses to start

(Erik Robertson)

1/21/2003 10:40:00 PM

I've built an empty Windows Service using the VB.Net wizard which does
nothing, besides know how to start and stop.
I install it using InstallUtil.exe with no errors. Whenever I try and
start it (using the Win2K Services control panl, or using NET START),
it just times out reporting an error and when I lookup it's state it's
always in 'starting' mode, which just never completes apparently.

I took the executable over to another box which has the .NET
Framework, installed it there, and it worked FLAWLESSLY.

Based on that I uninstalled everything from my box (The service,
VS.NET and .NET Framework), reinstalled just a clean .NET Framework
with the latest service pack, and tried again installing the service,
starting it and AGAIN IT DID NOT WORK (same behavior)...

Does anyone an idea of what could be going on???

I'm running Win2K Pro with SP3.

Regards,
Erik.
1 Answer

Greg Low

Hi Erik,

Most errors relating to this appear in the System Event log. Is there
anything in there?

HTH

Greg Low
Brisbane, Oztralia